Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-21-2012, 01:31 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
That's a good one!!

GreenIA, what do you provide for services? From the sounds of it with 17+ employees you are more than mow 'n go.
First year we did strictly fert programs subbed for other landscapers and irrigation & lighting installs for contractors on new construction homes. As well as lawn installs and plantings. The second season we started offering our services directly to homeowners (this is when I began advertising heavily), we also began offering hardscape and more soft scape installs. The third season we began pushing more on our advertising.

Now we offer fert programs, full irrigation and lighting design/install/service, full landscape design and construction, holiday decor, and plowing. Fall cleanups if we are slow and I'm looking to keep the guys busy. Up to now we offered basically everything except mowing. We are adding a full mowing crew next season as demand from our existing customers justify it.

Like i said in my post yeasterday though, those first two years I spent alot more on advertising than most sole operators on here net. Now to continue the growth, we spent more on advertising this past year than most here will gross.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:45 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks for the insight, I'd like to branch out into fert/irrigation in the few years. Many companies seem to be successful around here in those areas.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snomaha View Post
Green industry in general - good company 10% net, great company 15% net. How long would it take for you to get to 1,000,000 in revenue? 10 years? So in ten years your paying yourself a fair market wage netting 100k to reinvest back into the company - you have 6 or 7 trucks/crews going out each day - your wearing alot of hats and times are stressful but you have learned to have documented processes along the way - you have become connected in your community by serving on a local board or donating time to a worthy cause and those relationships are paying off in referrals - you are having annual and quarterly strategy meetings that clarify your vision and align your team - you project 40% growth for the next year and you wonder how can we fulfill those commitments - your hiring key people to run divisions and the stress of adding management infrastructure before you can really afford it keeps you up at 3am - you push through to 5,000,000 in revenue and are paying yourself a salary of 150k while dropping 500k to the bottom line - the business is fully capitalized, you have 3 months of operating expenses set aside, nothing on your line of credit and taking distributions that allow you to buy the 500k lake cabin and boat you always thought was out of reach......
Have that entrepreneurial spirit and don't be afraid to go make a mark!
I like this a lot^
Exmark TTHP 36"
225 Gal MN Wanner Skid Sprayer
8' Boss RT3 Straight Blade

Licensed Applicator

Graduate - Anoka Technical College w/ Associate's in Hort/Landscape - May 2013
In business since Feb 2011
23 Years Old

When you have systems, you have control.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I hope I get the gross and net right. I will gross about 39000 and net about 20000. For this old solo man that is what I need.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:23 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
That's a good one!!
Funnier still is the item actually sold the same day I posted the link, and I could have sworn it had not sold when I linked to it but I can't say for sure, still funny thou.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuacro View Post
I hope I get the gross and net right. I will gross about 39000 and net about 20000. For this old solo man that is what I need.
I find those figures near a believable and realistic ceiling.
Old 12-22-2012, 02:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The other gray area is what you consider NET. Some owners figure NET before owners salary - which is fine if the owner doesn't do any work. If you look at the whole picture in a true business model perspective, you need to at least figure out the cost of replacing yourself with an employee and subtract that out. What you are left with is true profit. Some guys could "net" 50K but work in the field 70 hrs a week, and others could "net" 50K and hardly lift a finger because of their employees. I'm just saying don't get too caught up on what other people are making - numbers aren't all equal. Do what you enjoy and make your dreams come true - whatever they may be.

Jason

Tags
advise , business , college , future , investing