Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-22-2012, 04:03 PM
LawnSite Member

I have been advertising on my own Facebook for right now I am in the process or making one specifically for the company. I also am undecided I do have quick books not sure if I want to use their free site for a year or use freewebs. Not sure if free webs will look unprofessional. I really want to do residential. At this point I am just torn in every direction seeming it is winter, cant wait to start advertising and try and get some business. It seems for $25 I am going to be at little to no profit after maintenance cost, fuel, etc. I come from a construction back ground so I have some knowledge to estimating. I will get out there with my survey wheel if need be. I have figured out my hourly rate and sqft rate. Not trying to be "that guy" cutting everyone's throat.
Old 12-22-2012, 05:18 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

You sound like you have a pretty good handle on it. Don't worry about making all of the other guys in this industry happy. We have been called lowballers by other companies who have bid against us while others wave when they pass.
Try to make friends with other LCO's because they can be a great asset. I try to stick to hourly estimates, each service has an hourly amount and I try to go by that when estimating. Sq ft estimating isn't really practical because my properties range from 400 sq ft to 18 acres. If I priced based on sq ft there I would be high on one end or low on the other.
I posted on another thread sometimes those $25 cuts will work out if you price them right and can knock out 3-4 an hour and can give you a starting point. Good luck, you will figure it all out with time.....
Old 12-22-2012, 05:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
properties range from 400 sq ft to 18 acres.
That's a big one! lol, I wouldnt have a problem with $25 lawns etc if they were my accounts. But I think it is a property maintenance or some sort of company subcontracting the work.
Old 12-22-2012, 05:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvkeller View Post
i cut those accounts with a $18000.00 VENTRAC, with a $2400 mower deck pulled by a $ $23000 Dodge, i don't cut them for $25 but not all of us are the worst looking people using the crapiest equipment.
you couldn't even fit a ventrac on a bank property here lol. most are done with a 21" pushmower since they are so small.

you must be the one doing it to say look at all the commercial accounts i have by the way you like to brag about your equipment lol.

my truck cost what your mower cost. lol that's not a bad thing. i have less overhead and fewer bills. this business isn't just about what you have it's about what you don't have as well. rofl
Old 12-22-2012, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonsLawnCare1 View Post
you couldn't even fit a ventrac on a bank property here lol. most are done with a 21" pushmower since they are so small.

you must be the one doing it to say look at all the commercial accounts i have by the way you like to brag about your equipment lol.

my truck cost what your mower cost. lol that's not a bad thing. i have less overhead and fewer bills. this business isn't just about what you have it's about what you don't have as well. rofl
The ones around here guys were doing for $30 no matter the size. Some were 1/4 acre and some were up to 3 acres . I used to see them with their clipboard and camara..... and their ride on Craftsman mower. I've heard more than one horror story about bank owned properties, especially when they're a hay field for only $30!!!
Old 12-22-2012, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonsLawnCare1 View Post

Not bragging, just defending myself because of the statement you make about all of us that mow some bank lots (everytime i see people cutting mcdonalds, taco bell, burger king, banks, etc. ...you know all the commerical lots they are the worst looking people using the crapiest equipment out there and doing a terrible job making like $25 a cut.)
Old 12-22-2012, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Member

This past season we cut around 344 banks cut per month.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvkeller View Post
This past season we cut around 344 banks cut per month.
is that a sentence, if so, what does it mean?