Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-23-2012, 12:51 AM
LawnSite Member

surprised a fram aka... orange can of death o.c.o.d. would do so well on an engine i guess its just one of their better filters and im not saying there not any good its just that many people prefer wix or purolator in fact that's the only two i ever use other than the kohler, briggs,and kawi filters but fram is ok as long as you can find one of their better filters but im not brand bashing here its just my opinion but there's good and bad of everything but usually i stick with the factory filters and oil and have never had a problem with anything
Old 12-23-2012, 08:41 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

They don't make too many bad oil filters...only wrong ones...
I guess we all draw on our experiences to form opinions on what is good or bad...
I personally would never use a Purolator or Wix filter on a mower engine...for good reasons..
I used to buy blown up engines to get the usable parts off them..over half of them had Purolator and Wix filters on them when they failed...not too many Frams....
In reality...people that are trying to save money on filters are more likely to cut corners on maintenance...
Old 12-23-2012, 10:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piston slapper View Post
They don't make too many bad oil filters...only wrong ones...
I guess we all draw on our experiences to form opinions on what is good or bad...
I personally would never use a Purolator or Wix filter on a mower engine...for good reasons..
I used to buy blown up engines to get the usable parts off them..over half of them had Purolator and Wix filters on them when they failed...not too many Frams....
In reality...people that are trying to save money on filters are more likely to cut corners on maintenance...
Piston Slapper, we take excellent care of the Kohler engines on our Walkers and I do not believe that using a Wix filter is indicative of cutting corners on mtce. As I have stated here on the forum previously, we routinely get over five thousand hours out of the CH family of Kohlers.
Here is a link that is a comparison between Fram and Wix. After reading this as well as other links depicting Fram filters as garbage, I would say that using a Fram filter on any engine is like a ticking time bomb.
As you and others have stated, personal preference weighs heavy and I am not going to argue with anyone's pick of filter or oil for that matter.

Eric

http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/archiv...php/t-745.html
Old 12-23-2012, 11:09 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Eric...slow down when you're reading....I said people are more likely to cut corners on maintenance. .not all inclusive..
Using aftermarket parts is cutting corners...if the Wix...or any other brand were any better..I'm sure Kohler would slap them on at the factory...
Citing a 7 year old thread as proof is a bit lame....not gonna sway my vote..not when the guy I know has logged about 300,000 work hours on the PH3614 filter without an oil related issue...

BTW...a breach in the filter material could contribute to damaging the sump bushing...leading to a gear failure...

HO ...HO...HO....

Slapper
Old 12-23-2012, 01:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Eric...slow down when you're reading....I said people are more likely to cut corners on maintenance. .not all inclusive..
Using aftermarket parts is cutting corners...if the Wix...or any other brand were any better..I'm sure Kohler would slap them on at the factory...
Citing a 7 year old thread as proof is a bit lame....not gonna sway my vote..not when the guy I know has logged about 300,000 work hours on the PH3614 filter without an oil related issue...

BTW...a breach in the filter material could contribute to damaging the sump bushing...leading to a gear failure...

HO ...HO...HO....

Slapper
Piston Slapper, I fully understand what you are saying. And I agree with you. I was just looking to show that no matter what parts are being utilized, (in this case Fram) there is good and bad evidence on the web.
Here is a link from April of 2012 that says the same thing about the Fram filters so this is a more recent opinion with the same results.
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/main...-fram-wix.html
I feel that the a quality oil filter along with a good quailty oil and proper mtce can prolong the life expectancy of any manufacturers engine.
Here is some more good reading on the differences between oil filters
http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oil...reference.html

Have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy and Healthy New Year.

Last edited by ericg; 12-23-2012 at 01:10 PM. Reason: added text
Old 12-23-2012, 01:26 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Eric..if you guys are getting 4000 to 6000 hrs out of an engine...especially on Walker mowers...
You maintenance is spot on...don't change a thing...
Just trying to Stir The Pot....
Oil filters are like a woman that looks good ...until she opens her mouth and starts talking...
You remember more about the defective ones..than those that quiety did their job...
In the past 35 years...I've seen bad batches of oil filters from Wix and Napa...cost them a. Ton of. Money...
It doesn't matter what you build it out of...if there are defects in the manufacturing process..
Old 12-23-2012, 02:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Eric..if you guys are getting 4000 to 6000 hrs out of an engine...especially on Walker mowers...
You maintenance is spot on...don't change a thing...
Just trying to Stir The Pot....
Oil filters are like a woman that looks good ...until she opens her mouth and starts talking...
You remember more about the defective ones..than those that quiety did their job...
In the past 35 years...I've seen bad batches of oil filters from Wix and Napa...cost them a. Ton of. Money...
It doesn't matter what you build it out of...if there are defects in the manufacturing process..
Piston Slapper, you are the voice of reason and experience. Thank you for your input. I look forward to your threads and responses. I have learned a great deal. What you forgot, I have not learned yet.
Enjoy the holiday.

Eric
Old 12-23-2012, 02:42 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Just warming up the engines...
Merry Christmas....
Slapper
Thanx for the vote of confidence...
Truth be known...I make just as many mistakes as everyone else...
Just learned not to talk about them....

Its gonna be in the 70's Christmas day...hope them reindeers can fly in this stuff..
Old 12-23-2012, 03:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Thanx for the vote of confidence...
Truth be known...I make just as many mistakes as everyone else...
Just learned not to talk about them....

Its gonna be in the 70's Christmas day...hope them reindeers can fly in this stuff..
Hope the reindeer don't overheat from the 70 degree temps. We are expected to be in the mid 30's here in NY and a chance of a dusting of snow.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:17 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Christmas Eve Question.....Kohler CH25S

Condition...Santa powers his sleigh lights off the Kohler CH25S. 25 amp charging system ...
The lights are flickering more than usual...but seems to work fine when his Elf wiggles the strap on the regulator..

Name That Failure....

A). Too much electrical feedback from Rudolphs Nose..
B)...Too much eggnog...
C)...Battery reversed polarity when he crossed the International Dateline...
D)...Loose ground strap on the regulator...
E)....All the above...