Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-23-2012, 05:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Who can Tell me about Walker mowers?

Walker delivers and excellent cut quality and the GHS is a good design but to all you walker users out there...... Can you tell me about the maintenance on them?
I am thinking of getting one..
I've heard that they break down a lot and require a lot of repair and maintenance and that they arent very strong.
Are there any machines I should consider? I would go for a Ferris Zero Turn or Toro and use the bagging system for the fall but.. I really like the out front deck of the walker that can mow more tight areas and cut down trimming time..

What do you guys think?
Old 12-23-2012, 06:49 PM
LawnSite Member

This is my first year with a walker and they are a maintenance hog! I love the mower i really do it leaves a really really nice cut. We put about 425 hours on it this year and broke one belt and 3 shear bolts. I bought the mower new and we take really good care of our equipment. My biggest complaint is greasing it everyday. I will still buy another one. I run all types of mowers wrights, toro, exmark, husqvarna and now walker.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-23-2012, 06:53 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

We have 6 Walkers. The first Walker I ran had 3k hours when we parked it and we did nothing other than routine maintenance.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Jr. how many blowers did you go through ? What kind of engine was that by the way ?
Old 12-23-2012, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Kohler 25, we had a crack in the blower but we fabbed a plate to cover the crack which held until we retired the mower. The only thing we have replaced on our mowers are hydro pumps because we mow around a lot of obstacles/hills. The newer blowers are a lot stronger and are supposed to hold up better than the old ones.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I only have one walker but I think it is the best engineered mower in the business. They have grease certs on almost everything. Parts are beefee and strong looking. One down side is their electrical system way tooo complicated. They used to have a big problem with spindles cracking when you hit something. I guess they fixed that somehow. The other thing that was not good was ground speed was slow. They offered some upgrade don't know if that fixed things. And if you got rough ground they are a killer and don't hold well on hills.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

they do a great job cutting but i never liked them too much. i like the regular ztr much better since it's more compact. also i like ztr maintenance alot better. it's just simple and easy. my ztr has 5 grease fittings. 3 on deck spindles and 2 on front castors. that's it. they only have to be greased every 50hrs on spindles and every 500hrs on the castors. to me the more simple the better. less time spent on maintenance and less that can break.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

If you decide to get a walker a must is a suspension seat. They should come standard with it.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Who can Tell me about Walker mowers?

Walkers IMO are the best mowers on the market. They are high maintenance but the way they cut and bag make up for it. I would highly recommend one.
2- Exmark Turf Tracer HP Walk Behinds
Grasshopper Mid-Mount
Stihl Handhelds
2 Boss V-Plows
Old 12-23-2012, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

In 1200hrs I had to replace the blower and blower belt. I could have just replaced the blower housing but my thinking was to replace the whole thing while I had it out.

Tags
ferris , price , toro , walker mowers