Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-23-2012, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Lunch

For guys with crews do you make your guys bring lunch?
I'm starting that this year 30 minutes turned into 10 to go to their deli then 10 minutes to order then 10 to drive to next lawn then 30 for lunch
So no it's being lunch or work some where else looks like I'm loosing one guy who has been with me for 8 years over this but I'm ok with that
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-23-2012, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

It really depends on the day. We have days where we pass by 3-4 places to eat and I'll let them stop to get lunch, other days I tell them to bring a lunch unless they want to walk to the store. Are your lunches paid?
Old 12-23-2012, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm with that guy.....work somewhere else would be my choice.

even solo guys take a lunch break. sometimes I eat in between jobs or I've been known to stop for a solid hour somewhere.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

For drivers yes for labora no
It's funny 2 crews 2 guys being lunch driver leaves them to go get his food almost 30 minted then comes back to eat with them
They guys don't like it
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-23-2012, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Again you are solo so you can take as long as you want when guys turn 30 minute in 60 lunch costs me a lot of money
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-23-2012, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

My guys bring lunch. Its the best. I still give a paid lunch break, I'm just not paying you to go get it. Especially since most days we're in the dump and pulling a skid steer. Tools everywhere etc.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-23-2012, 07:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i worked for a company a long time ago when i was in college. we always stopped somewhere for lunch and we took 1 hr. the boss ate with us. it was 3-4 of us. we worked together and ate lunch together 8hrs a day with 1hr lunch (8am-5pm) 5 days a week. the boss never did any work but he drove the truck all day and would just talk to the customers while the rest of us did the work.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Whenever I recruit employees on certain days, I tell them to bring a lunch and that we will stop during the day to eat, but im not letting them go to the deli and take 45 minutes to get a pastrami sub. I hire them to get work done, and I feel like its not to hard to throw a sandwich and some chips into a bag in the morning. Ive been doing it for 25 years without an issue

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 12-23-2012, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

you gotta take time to relax during the day. pushing your guys all day every day will only make them get sloppy and not care about doing a good job. they work hard so they deserve a nice break for lunch. i remember those days man. the boss put me on the trimmer all day long every day. i always thought that was unfair since the other two guys got to ride the walkers while i did most of the trimming if not all of it. what did this do? it made me hate working for him is what it did. why not spread the work load out among all 3 of us and make it fair for everyone? that would have made me like the job alot more as it would any person in the world. it's just common sense.

even with a good hr lunch i hated the job. can you imagine what i would've thought had the boss been like bring a sack lunch and you can eat between yards? slave driver is what that is called. that's why american people don't wanna work these jobs. noone wants to be treated like that. people wanna be treated fairly.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I let people take an hour lunch, relax, and all that. Im not here to slave drive. Im just not going to have people take 45 minutes to get lunch and then expect an hour to eat...

PlowSite-SnowFakers