Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-20-2012, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9773 View Post
Not sure how friendly it is to SA, but Ronstar is commonly used as a pre-emergent when sprigging bermuda. No root pruning at all.
Ronstar is not labeled for residential turf.

Chemical root pruning by pre emergent herbicides has long been a converse among the agronomic community. There are two very distinct schools of thought. one which believe the benefits out weight the faults. The other which I follow, believes Pre emergents do more damage than good. Now let me qualify my believes by pointing out I work mostly with St Augustine a solomatic turf. Pre Emergent do not effect Rhizomes because they are below the surface which has the Pre emerge barrier. Therefore Pre emerge doesn't effect C 3 rhizome turf like it does C 4 solomatic turf.

Successful plugging of St Augustine should include both organic fertilizer like Milorganite and synthetic starter fertilizer like a 20-20-20. Of Course lots of water and Post Emerge Herbicides for weed control. But most important is the application of a PGR herbicide like Primo that redirect growth to decrease grow in time by redirecting growth in a lateral direction.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

http://www.cdms.net/ldat/ld8LE007.pdf

So after reading the supp I figure I have one more month before I can plug the SA. I have to admit the Freehand has done a really good job on the weeds that were present and I haven't seen any winter weeds yet. I'm going to borrow Ric's trick of using the PGR to encourage the lateral growth.
Old 12-22-2012, 02:49 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
http://www.cdms.net/ldat/ld8LE007.pdf

So after reading the supp I figure I have one more month before I can plug the SA. I have to admit the Freehand has done a really good job on the weeds that were present and I haven't seen any winter weeds yet. I'm going to borrow Ric's trick of using the PGR to encourage the lateral growth.
Here is an interesting read for you

http://turf.ufl.edu/research_stauggro.shtml
Old 12-22-2012, 03:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl-landscapes View Post

Hmmm, what to do, what to do. I think I will try a small test plot at corner of the driveway with the PGR. The small side of yard by the driveway is going to be plugged. Heavy fert alternating between trip 13 (because I have it) and Milorganite. Water and see how long it takes each to fill in.
No pre-em was put on that side so I can do this now.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-23-2012, 06:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Spring Back Effect

Quote:

This is only one research example and the opinion of one result. It has been my experience if you ask one question of two PhD who share the same office. You get 3 answers. They each have their own opinion and a mutual opinion.

Unfortunate this Study doesn't take into account the SPRING BACK EFFECT. True PGR slow down top growth and some lateral growth. However as the PGR wear off the Plant grows extra fast. Thus the SPRING BACK EFFECT. Plus while the PGR is working it creates a thicker stronger plant and that is why there is a boom in growth as the PGR wears off. Therefore proper timing of application and non application of a PGR will decrease grow in time for plugs.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

Old 12-23-2012, 07:45 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

That's all true. I have always felt the more information on a subject someone can gather the better they will be able to make a decision, so this was one more study. The question is, will the spring back effect outweigh the 55% loss of lateral growth during the first month? Thats for others to decide, as I have always felt plugs are a pain in the ass for many reasons and sod is usually more practical and usually cheaper when you figure all the care that is needed babysitting it to fill in. Just my opinion, too each their own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
This is only one research example and the opinion of one result. It has been my experience if you ask one question of two PhD who share the same office. You get 3 answers. They each have their own opinion and a mutual opinion.

Unfortunate this Study doesn't take into account the SPRING BACK EFFECT. True PGR slow down top growth and some lateral growth. However as the PGR wear off the Plant grows extra fast. Thus the SPRING BACK EFFECT. Plus while the PGR is working it creates a thicker stronger plant and that is why there is a boom in growth as the PGR wears off. Therefore proper timing of application and non application of a PGR will decrease grow in time for plugs.

Old 12-23-2012, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

IMHO Plugging is not practical on large areas. However it has it's place when dealing with small burn outs.

Strip sodding is an other choice for larger areas. But once again you are dealing with a grow in and weeds.

Old 12-23-2012, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Yup, small repair jobs especially are good plug jobs if you don't do a lot of sod and have extra pieces readily available that is. The spring back effect is very interesting, I remember I learned about it in the Georgia turf management course I took and felt it was interesting enough to share with a couple friends, who had never heard of it either but thought it was also interesting. Just another tool in the bag if used properly. I'm just not a plug guy.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I actually think it would have been worthy of your advanced agronomy section. When you think about it, it takes a certain amount of carbohydrates and other nutrients to grow a plant x amount, so when these nutrients are stored due to a pgr being applied, would the spring back be greater than the growth of what would have happened if pgr wasn't applied? Or is it equal growth only at a faster (surge rate)? Or is it actually less growth during the spring effect because although the nutrients stored, some must be used elsewhere in the plant like the roots, no?
Old 12-24-2012, 08:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I actually think it would have been worthy of your advanced agronomy section. When you think about it, it takes a certain amount of carbohydrates and other nutrients to grow a plant x amount, so when these nutrients are stored due to a pgr being applied, would the spring back be greater than the growth of what would have happened if pgr wasn't applied? Or is it equal growth only at a faster (surge rate)? Or is it actually less growth during the spring effect because although the nutrients stored, some must be used elsewhere in the plant like the roots, no?
Two points of order.

1. An advanced agronomy forum is not considered Politically Correct by the management of Lawnsite. However a Organic forum is.

2. There are not longer 10 active members on Lawnsite who could contribute to an advanced agronomy forum. Myself included since I now have forgotten more than I learned about L&O. I only do Fire Ant and Structural Pest Control now.