Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-24-2012, 12:53 PM
FastMan FastMan is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Woodland Park, Colorado
Posts: 782
The 36 inch Stander Deck Comparison Thread

I'm going to be buying a new 36 inch stander very soon, and would like to hear your feelings/experience with the cutting prowess of the decks of that width from the various manufactures who offer models in that category.

I'll be using it on southern grasses, specifically Florida. Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge.
__________________
YOUR SKI COACH
Bringing world class skills to the recreational skier.

YourSkiCoach.com
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-24-2012, 02:37 PM
ric1's Avatar
ric1 ric1 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Tampa Florida
Posts: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastMan View Post
I'm going to be buying a new 36 inch stander very soon, and would like to hear your feelings/experience with the cutting prowess of the decks of that width from the various manufactures who offer models in that category.

I'll be using it on southern grasses, specifically Florida. Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge.

Well what do you want to know. I'm running a 36" stander ( Toro Grandstand) with the 7 gauge Turbo Force deck and it's the best cutting deck I've ever used. I really like the adjustable Flow baffle for different types of grasses and conditions. With so many people putting up fences the 36" deck works well for gates and it rides fantastic, best purchase I ever made in a mower.
__________________
G & G Lawn Care
2013 F 150 XLT 4x2 Super Crew
Mowers: Toro Z-Master 2000 Toro GS 36" Toro TurfMaster Cub Cadet Z-Force 48"
Blowers:Stihl BR 600 BR 550 BR 380 BR 200 Trimmers: Stihl FS 110 Stihl FS 90
Edgers: Stihl FC 90&75 Echo BRD 280 Pole Saw: Stihl HT 75 Hedge Trimmer: Stihl HL 45 HS 45
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-24-2012, 02:57 PM
kawasaki guy's Avatar
kawasaki guy kawasaki guy is online now
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Ocean City, NJ
Posts: 4,317
I hear the Great Dane Surfer 34" machines cut really well. They go 9.5 MPH too!
__________________
Charlie

Snapper: CP218520
21351PD new engine
LawnBoy: 10227 wi/bagger
Scag:SW36 Grass Packer/Kawaski engine
Shindaiwa: T242 LE242 RS41T231X
STIHL: MS210C BG55x2 KM90 trimmer edger blower
Kawasaki:KRB650B KHDS600A
Toro:single stage snow thrower



Click here for my work thread!
The kid who cuts lawns, and does it very well
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-24-2012, 02:58 PM
FastMan FastMan is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Woodland Park, Colorado
Posts: 782
Quote:
Originally Posted by ric1 View Post
Well what do you want to know. I'm running a 36" stander ( Toro Grandstand) with the 7 gauge Turbo Force deck and it's the best cutting deck I've ever used. I really like the adjustable Flow baffle for different types of grasses and conditions. With so many people putting up fences the 36" deck works well for gates and it rides fantastic, best purchase I ever made in a mower.
Thanks, ric. The grandstand is on my short list. Where are you located? I know different decks excel in different areas. I have a turbo force 60 inch on a G3 and love it too. I wanted to hear how it performed in the 36 inch version, especially as I've found it's not as deep as the 60 inch, so I'm glad you chimed in.

How does it give you any problems with the front lifting up on you? I demoed larger deck version and noticed it was lifting up on me more than I liked. I'm a big guy, though, and was operating it on very hill terrain.

Also, I've been reading about some issues of boil over after running for a while with the Grandstands. Worries me a bit as I'll be operating in Florida.
__________________
YOUR SKI COACH
Bringing world class skills to the recreational skier.

YourSkiCoach.com
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-24-2012, 03:00 PM
FastMan FastMan is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Woodland Park, Colorado
Posts: 782
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawasaki guy View Post
I hear the Great Dane Surfer 34" machines cut really well. They go 9.5 MPH too!
Thanks, I'll look into them. Anyone else have experience with them?
__________________
YOUR SKI COACH
Bringing world class skills to the recreational skier.

YourSkiCoach.com
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-24-2012, 04:44 PM
ric1's Avatar
ric1 ric1 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Tampa Florida
Posts: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastMan View Post
Thanks, ric. The grandstand is on my short list. Where are you located? I know different decks excel in different areas. I have a turbo force 60 inch on a G3 and love it too. I wanted to hear how it performed in the 36 inch version, especially as I've found it's not as deep as the 60 inch, so I'm glad you chimed in.

How does it give you any problems with the front lifting up on you? I demoed larger deck version and noticed it was lifting up on me more than I liked. I'm a big guy, though, and was operating it on very hill terrain.

Also, I've been reading about some issues of boil over after running for a while with the Grandstands. Worries me a bit as I'll be operating in Florida.
I'm in central Florida (Tampa/St Pete area) I have no problem with the cut and all my lawns are St Augustine and Bahia. I've never had any problems with the mower and never encountered any lifting in the front end and I don't use any weights.
I go about 190 most of the time and I think it's supposed to take a 300lb rider. I'm not sure what you mean when you say issues with boil over but I'm going to assume your talking about the motor or drives getting hot, if so I've never had an issue with anything like that and I've been out mowing in temps of 105 degrees and better with no issues so I wouldn't let that worry you.
__________________
G & G Lawn Care
2013 F 150 XLT 4x2 Super Crew
Mowers: Toro Z-Master 2000 Toro GS 36" Toro TurfMaster Cub Cadet Z-Force 48"
Blowers:Stihl BR 600 BR 550 BR 380 BR 200 Trimmers: Stihl FS 110 Stihl FS 90
Edgers: Stihl FC 90&75 Echo BRD 280 Pole Saw: Stihl HT 75 Hedge Trimmer: Stihl HL 45 HS 45
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-24-2012, 11:19 PM
Blades Lawn Maintenance's Avatar
Blades Lawn Maintenance Blades Lawn Maintenance is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Baton Rouge, La
Posts: 1,233
Subscribing
__________________
“Life takes on meaning when you become motivated, set goals and charge after them in an unstoppable manner.”
*Les Brown


"There is no such thing as failure. There are only results." – Tony Robbins


Enough Said...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-25-2012, 12:15 AM
FastMan FastMan is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Woodland Park, Colorado
Posts: 782
Quote:
Originally Posted by ric1 View Post
I'm in central Florida (Tampa/St Pete area) I have no problem with the cut and all my lawns are St Augustine and Bahia. I've never had any problems with the mower and never encountered any lifting in the front end and I don't use any weights.
I go about 190 most of the time and I think it's supposed to take a 300lb rider. I'm not sure what you mean when you say issues with boil over but I'm going to assume your talking about the motor or drives getting hot, if so I've never had an issue with anything like that and I've been out mowing in temps of 105 degrees and better with no issues so I wouldn't let that worry you.
ric, thanks again. That's all very reassuring. Especially since you're out their using the unit in the very same state I'm heading to. Can't get much more relevant feedback. The GS just took a giant step up on my list.
__________________
YOUR SKI COACH
Bringing world class skills to the recreational skier.

YourSkiCoach.com
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-25-2012, 12:30 AM
Above Par Lawns's Avatar
Above Par Lawns Above Par Lawns is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Blue Springs, Missouri
Posts: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by ric1 View Post
Well what do you want to know. I'm running a 36" stander ( Toro Grandstand) with the 7 gauge Turbo Force deck and it's the best cutting deck I've ever used. I really like the adjustable Flow baffle for different types of grasses and conditions. With so many people putting up fences the 36" deck works well for gates and it rides fantastic, best purchase I ever made in a mower.
I am leaning towards the Toro as well. All the equipment at the golf course I work at is Toro. I just feel really comfortable on the Grandstand compared to anything else I've looked at. Our mechanic could easily work on it and we're pretty tight with the Toro rep that comes in so that's a plus as well. DECISION MADE!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-25-2012, 12:34 AM
Above Par Lawns's Avatar
Above Par Lawns Above Par Lawns is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Blue Springs, Missouri
Posts: 511
Do you have the roller on it? I need a mower that's gonna stripe well. I deal with mainly cool season grass. Anyone have any pictures of how it stripes?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.com™ - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:52 AM.

Page generated in 0.08818 seconds with 9 queries