Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-24-2012, 12:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The 36 inch Stander Deck Comparison Thread

I'm going to be buying a new 36 inch stander very soon, and would like to hear your feelings/experience with the cutting prowess of the decks of that width from the various manufactures who offer models in that category.

I'll be using it on southern grasses, specifically Florida. Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge.

YourSkiCoach.com
Old 12-24-2012, 02:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastMan View Post
I'm going to be buying a new 36 inch stander very soon, and would like to hear your feelings/experience with the cutting prowess of the decks of that width from the various manufactures who offer models in that category.

I'll be using it on southern grasses, specifically Florida. Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge.

Well what do you want to know. I'm running a 36" stander ( Toro Grandstand) with the 7 gauge Turbo Force deck and it's the best cutting deck I've ever used. I really like the adjustable Flow baffle for different types of grasses and conditions. With so many people putting up fences the 36" deck works well for gates and it rides fantastic, best purchase I ever made in a mower.
Blowers:Stihl BR 600 BR 550 BR 380 BR 200 Trimmers: Stihl FS 110 Stihl FS 90
Edgers: Stihl FC 90&75 Echo BRD 280 Pole Saw: Stihl HT 75 Hedge Trimmer: Stihl HL 45 HS 45
Old 12-24-2012, 02:57 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I hear the Great Dane Surfer 34" machines cut really well. They go 9.5 MPH too!

Snapper: CP218520
21351PD new engine
LawnBoy: 10227 wi/bagger
Scag:SW36 Grass Packer/Kawaski engine
Shindaiwa: T242 LE242 RS41T231X
STIHL: MS210C BG55x2 KM90 trimmer edger blower
Kawasaki:KRB650B KHDS600A
Toro:single stage snow thrower

Click here for my work thread!
The kid who cuts lawns, and does it very well
Old 12-24-2012, 02:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric1 View Post
Well what do you want to know. I'm running a 36" stander ( Toro Grandstand) with the 7 gauge Turbo Force deck and it's the best cutting deck I've ever used. I really like the adjustable Flow baffle for different types of grasses and conditions. With so many people putting up fences the 36" deck works well for gates and it rides fantastic, best purchase I ever made in a mower.
Thanks, ric. The grandstand is on my short list. Where are you located? I know different decks excel in different areas. I have a turbo force 60 inch on a G3 and love it too. I wanted to hear how it performed in the 36 inch version, especially as I've found it's not as deep as the 60 inch, so I'm glad you chimed in.

How does it give you any problems with the front lifting up on you? I demoed larger deck version and noticed it was lifting up on me more than I liked. I'm a big guy, though, and was operating it on very hill terrain.

Also, I've been reading about some issues of boil over after running for a while with the Grandstands. Worries me a bit as I'll be operating in Florida.

YourSkiCoach.com
Old 12-24-2012, 03:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawasaki guy View Post
I hear the Great Dane Surfer 34" machines cut really well. They go 9.5 MPH too!
Thanks, I'll look into them. Anyone else have experience with them?

YourSkiCoach.com
Old 12-24-2012, 04:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastMan View Post
Thanks, ric. The grandstand is on my short list. Where are you located? I know different decks excel in different areas. I have a turbo force 60 inch on a G3 and love it too. I wanted to hear how it performed in the 36 inch version, especially as I've found it's not as deep as the 60 inch, so I'm glad you chimed in.

How does it give you any problems with the front lifting up on you? I demoed larger deck version and noticed it was lifting up on me more than I liked. I'm a big guy, though, and was operating it on very hill terrain.

Also, I've been reading about some issues of boil over after running for a while with the Grandstands. Worries me a bit as I'll be operating in Florida.
I'm in central Florida (Tampa/St Pete area) I have no problem with the cut and all my lawns are St Augustine and Bahia. I've never had any problems with the mower and never encountered any lifting in the front end and I don't use any weights.
I go about 190 most of the time and I think it's supposed to take a 300lb rider. I'm not sure what you mean when you say issues with boil over but I'm going to assume your talking about the motor or drives getting hot, if so I've never had an issue with anything like that and I've been out mowing in temps of 105 degrees and better with no issues so I wouldn't let that worry you.
Blowers:Stihl BR 600 BR 550 BR 380 BR 200 Trimmers: Stihl FS 110 Stihl FS 90
Edgers: Stihl FC 90&75 Echo BRD 280 Pole Saw: Stihl HT 75 Hedge Trimmer: Stihl HL 45 HS 45
Old 12-24-2012, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Subscribing

"There is no such thing as failure. There are only results." – Tony Robbins

Enough Said...
Old 12-25-2012, 12:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I'm in central Florida (Tampa/St Pete area) I have no problem with the cut and all my lawns are St Augustine and Bahia. I've never had any problems with the mower and never encountered any lifting in the front end and I don't use any weights.
I go about 190 most of the time and I think it's supposed to take a 300lb rider. I'm not sure what you mean when you say issues with boil over but I'm going to assume your talking about the motor or drives getting hot, if so I've never had an issue with anything like that and I've been out mowing in temps of 105 degrees and better with no issues so I wouldn't let that worry you.
ric, thanks again. That's all very reassuring. Especially since you're out their using the unit in the very same state I'm heading to. Can't get much more relevant feedback. The GS just took a giant step up on my list.

YourSkiCoach.com
Old 12-25-2012, 12:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I am leaning towards the Toro as well. All the equipment at the golf course I work at is Toro. I just feel really comfortable on the Grandstand compared to anything else I've looked at. Our mechanic could easily work on it and we're pretty tight with the Toro rep that comes in so that's a plus as well. DECISION MADE!
Old 12-25-2012, 12:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Do you have the roller on it? I need a mower that's gonna stripe well. I deal with mainly cool season grass. Anyone have any pictures of how it stripes?