Register free!

Old 12-22-2012, 10:55 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Or if its not boxed in, drive the skid up fhe grass along side it, drop the skid, and make those laborers earn their keep
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-23-2012, 12:26 PM
LawnSite Member

There have been particular jobs where we have had to drive over our work in able to proceed with the job. We've even staged pallets on freshly laid pavers to bucky off from.
Different situations for every job. Some jobs we laid an inch of stone dust over 6" of concrete and we have driven over that with a tracked skidsteer, not a single problem.

A tractor or rubber tire skid will definitely cause much more damage than a tracked skid. At least that's what we have found out with our equipment and our climate. We run almost all tracked skids and tracked equipment. We have a couple rubber tire machines we use once and a while when the situation is right.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ill post the pictures soon. We just started at the top and screeded our way our of the driveway while bringing in sand and pallets in front of us. I wouldn't chance driving on them uncompacted, but someone posted that video of the machine that laid those brickstone pavers, and looked like an asphalt machine and they drove a loader right on the laid pavers so it had me thinking. It's funny I feel like I'm walking on ice anytime I goto a job my guys are on before the pavers are compacted, then I are other installs and they are all over the new pavers.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-23-2012, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Not many Hardscape contractors own a tractor. But I do and I have a rubber tire. And a tracked machine. The tractor is the least destructive, hands down. Not theory, jus first hand knowledge

We have a demo job coming up in Jan. gotta traverse over masonry brick patio in a confined space. The tractor is the answer, because it doesnt skid all about the place, the wheels merely turn like a car. And no contractors around own a tractor, so that made it for an easy sale for me.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-23-2012, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbailey52 View Post
Ill post the pictures soon. We just started at the top and screeded our way our of the driveway while bringing in sand and pallets in front of us. I wouldn't chance driving on them uncompacted, but someone posted that video of the machine that laid those brickstone pavers, and looked like an asphalt machine and they drove a loader right on the laid pavers so it had me thinking. It's funny I feel like I'm walking on ice anytime I goto a job my guys are on before the pavers are compacted, then I are other installs and they are all over the new pavers.
Posted via Mobile Device
I have seen first hand people traverse over geotextile fabric back and forth back and forth with no gravel over the fab. I would never do tht either. It weakens the fabric.

Like I said - if it was a wide open area where you could manuaver a skid unit with wide turns - I could see driving over it. But for a typical residential application - no way would
I do it, they're usually too confined. But thats just me. I like the pavement to be compacted with one machine so everything is uniform. After that - then drive anything you want all you want.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-23-2012, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Yeah, not many hardscape contractors own a tractor because they are pretty much useless.
We have a backhoe that we mostly use to load our trucks in the yard.

What size tractor are we talking about? Like a Kubota compact tractor?
Even with those, just turning a tire on pavers will disturb them, I would think. I've never used a tractor on pavers.
But we've used tracked skids without any isses.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Once everything is compact there would be an issue (maybe with a skid steer marking the area up). Our hard scape supply yard is all brick stone in a herringbone pattern... The entire yard! That means all the tri axles of quarry blend, their 18 wheeler oil tankers and all drive over it day after day. No issues at all and it's pretty impressive.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbailey52 View Post
Once everything is compact there would be an issue (maybe with a skid steer marking the area up). Our hard scape supply yard is all brick stone in a herringbone pattern... The entire yard! That means all the tri axles of quarry blend, their 18 wheeler oil tankers and all drive over it day after day. No issues at all and it's pretty impressive.
Same with mine. I take customers there sometimes to see displays and its a great selling point of the durability
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-24-2012, 03:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Get your self a Bobcat A300 or A770. All wheel steer machines. You get the full lifting capacity, digging and pushing power of a full size skid, but the ground disturbance of a tractor or maybe less than a tractor. (in regards to turning not PSI) I have a A300 and in my opinion they are one of the best hardscaping tools that almost no one uses.

Anyone can run equipment, very few can operate.

Check out what I do.
http://www.youtube.com/user/BobcatNinja2124

The company I work for.
http://www.interstatelandscapenh.com/

Follow me on Facebook.
http://www.facebook.com/TheDirtNinja
Old 12-24-2012, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Just looked up the a300.... Damn why didn't I know of this machine??