5 trucks
4 trailers
3 Backpack blowers
2 John Deere's
And a Multi Terrain Compact Track Loader

Also have a loader but it didn't make it into the list
Old 12-24-2012, 10:53 AM
LawnSite Member

3 mowing crews and a fert tech should hit 1 million in sales no problem. Having 5 to 7 trucks, etc shouldn't be the overall goal, a sales number should be along with a net profit goals for each part of the biz (install net is much different than a mowing crew net).

Or another goal could be a percentage of your market area population.

Heck I consider myself a small company but have 4 trucks (all for plowing, but only 2 used for mowing), a van for irrigation, a skidsteer, and 6 mowers.

I'm working on getting the second mow truck with a full work load. Irrigation I just bought a company last year and hit all the old owners sales numbers without marketing so that will take off this year.

Finding work is not the hard part growing it's finding the right people to work for you that show up and you can trust.[/QUOTE]

Since you mentioned it I think that is a much better way to show how big you want to be. We all know 5 install crews will bring you in a lot more than 5 mowing crews. For me I would like to see sales between 1-1.5 million and net between 175,000 to 250,000.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:29 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
In over ten years of mowing.....

I have
10 gas trimmers
9 CY of salt sand
8 total mowers
7 plows
6 Walker mowers
5 trucks
4 trailers
3 Backpack blowers
2 John Deere's
And a Multi Terrain Compact Track Loader

Also have a loader but it didn't make it into the list
Nice smart arse response. I'm not the one listing my goals of equipment owned.

My point is not want a person owns it is what a person makes and keeps. I don't consider equipment/trucks much of a asset if it doesn't make money. If a truck sits all it does is lose value.

Last edited by djagusch; 12-24-2012 at 11:34 AM.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:32 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnman24949 View Post
3 mowing crews and a fert tech should hit 1 million in sales no problem. Having 5 to 7 trucks, etc shouldn't be the overall goal, a sales number should be along with a net profit goals for each part of the biz (install net is much different than a mowing crew net).

Or another goal could be a percentage of your market area population.

Heck I consider myself a small company but have 4 trucks (all for plowing, but only 2 used for mowing), a van for irrigation, a skidsteer, and 6 mowers.

I'm working on getting the second mow truck with a full work load. Irrigation I just bought a company last year and hit all the old owners sales numbers without marketing so that will take off this year.

Finding work is not the hard part growing it's finding the right people to work for you that show up and you can trust.

Since you mentioned it I think that is a much better way to show how big you want to be. We all know 5 install crews will bring you in a lot more than 5 mowing crews. For me I would like to see sales between 1-1.5 million and net between 175,000 to 250,000.[/QUOTE]

So you want to net 17.5% of sales or so. Is that hardscape, maintenance?
Old 12-24-2012, 11:44 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djagusch View Post
Nice smart arse response. I'm not the one listing my goals of equipment owned.

My point is not want a person owns it is what a person makes and keeps. I don't consider equipment/trucks much of a asset if it doesn't make money. If a truck sits all it does is lose value.
I agree with you, they aren't goals, I already own them and they make me money. My goals are still what I listed and you are close on the gross numbers I would like to be at. I would be happy with 7.5% return at year end grossing 1 mil.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:56 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I just want to grow at a nice steady pace. I do not have an end in sight just to keep growing nice and steady. My immediate goal is to make sure the company is profitable and each client is profitable.

This business seems to grow in spurts simply because of the nature of "service" and capacity.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have both growth goals and cap goals meaning there is a point when I say I am here. I have 2 cutting crews now I run one my partner the other. I am 42 Iv been at this a long time my goal is to be out of the field by age 50. That is my goal to not go out each day and work, to be a glorified errand boy. To keep 20-35 employees in the field. With my partner and I solving the problems and selling the work. To max out one location I don't want another. To put in place the most efficient ways to do things I now know but cannot always implement because of budgets. My goal is transform from Owner/Manager/Worker/Salesmen too just 2 of them and my partner can pic 2 as well. I want a 2-3 million dollar operation I have spent enough time in the small to mid size range and want something that can be called large.