Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-25-2012, 04:17 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman2420 View Post
The longer that i am in business, the more i am "my way". There is a huge difference btwn my way and the highway and "my way". My wife has invested in her education and as a result "our way" is the right way. I have learned that a customer who will not listen to you about how to water or cut the grass is going to blame you for the brown spot disease. We have the confidence to say no. I personally go to repairmen or professionals that have the courage to tell me their convictions and even tell me no, if I won't listen. I always present myself, not as a know it all, but a professional expert.
Posted via Mobile Device
yes you might get blamed. but I present information as a "I would recommend".

if they don't take that recommendation I inform them of what could happen and that I can not be held responsible for those things.

I guess another way to put it is I don't have the "attitude" it's my way. as I said for example before being hired things like if they have a preference on a day of the week or height of cut are discussed. if I can't honor those things, like maybe the day they want is full I enform them and go from there.

but I hear guys all the time saying things like, I come when I want, it's my way.
Old 12-25-2012, 05:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Yard guy, I'm not wanting to argue with you. But anyway I don't want to argu argue, it's C But anyway I don't want to argue, it's Christmas Merry Christmas
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-25-2012, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
Jason, that's why you never say "Contract" to a customer, it's always a "service agreement" and like MD put it, you want customers on YOUR terms not theirs, it's as much about pshycology as anything, your a solo not looking to grow your business, which is fine. You'll find though that if you decide to go beyond being solo, these things matter.
my plan is to stay solo forever. i'm not a salesman. i don't believe in "trickery" to get things to fit my plan. i'm just straight forward and upfront with people. i tell them how it is no gimmicks. people respect that. that is what people really want. they don't want a salesman with tricks up his sleeve in my experience.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
well you can move away from clients you can't control and I'll behind you to gladly work for them.

sure I cut most at a healthy 3" or higher height. sure most ask me my opinion and take my advice and let me do what I know is the proper thing for there property.

but my point is I don't try and control the client. it's not a my way or the high way business. I give my recommendation and if they don't take it I ultimately do what they want. they are the ones who sign my checks.

in this business I see it somewhat as I am the employee and they are the boss. but you guys are free to run your business however you want.
I don't try to control my clients either, but to control my business. There's a difference. But I will not let my customers control me or my business. They need to work within the parameters I set. They can state their preferences, but ultimately I control how it gets done and when. If they want to control the how and when they need to hire an employee and not a contractor.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:28 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl G View Post
I don't try to control my clients either, but to control my business. There's a difference. But I will not let my customers control me or my business. They need to work within the parameters I set. They can state their preferences, but ultimately I control how it gets done and when. If they want to control the how and when they need to hire an employee and not a contractor.
I don't think it can be explained any better than that
Old 12-25-2012, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman2420 View Post
Yard guy, I'm not wanting to argue with you. But anyway I don't want to argu argue, it's C But anyway I don't want to argue, it's Christmas Merry Christmas
Posted via Mobile Device
who was arguing???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl G View Post
guess its because I try and work within the parameters the client sets. if I can't do that I inform them and its up to them if they are willing to work within the parameters I have available. since they after all are paying me.

if you can't do what the clients want they will go else where and there is always someone willing to accommodate a person to earn there business. someone like me.
Old 12-25-2012, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah...totally different perspectives. I look at it that I'm the one providing the service, so it's my rules.

Really, how many service providers do you know of that allow you to dictate the terms? Can you order a 10 inch pizza when the pizza place makes 8 and 12 inch pies? Do you tell the auto shop when and how they are going to repair your truck or do they tell you? Does you tell the cable repair man when to come or do they tell you when they're coming? I could go on and on.

Personally, I think you need to lose the "lawnboy mentality" and take control of your business rather than letting your customers run it for you. You're not Little Johnny from up the road....or are you?
Old 12-26-2012, 02:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
who was arguing???

guess its because I try and work within the parameters the client sets. if I can't do that I inform them and its up to them if they are willing to work within the parameters I have available. since they after all are paying me.

if you can't do what the clients want they will go else where and there is always someone willing to accommodate a person to earn there business. someone like me.
Well I would love to hire you to do my yard while I dictate to you how to do it. I might even throw in 2 cans of Natty Ice for accommodating me. Like Darryl G said, this is 'yardboy' mentality. While your customers may like this since they can push you around, they probably don't respect you.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:10 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

maybe you guys are misunderstanding me or maybe I'm not correctly wording my point. they don't really push me around as you say.

I won't come in and take complete control though. my goal is to make them happy since they hired me. so yes I may want to come in and cut the grass at 3.5" weekly for a nice manicured look. but they may want it cut at 2.5" bi weekly to safe money. am I gonna turn down that job because they won't do it my way? not a chance.

as I said most hire me and just let me do my thing. but I'm not about to turn away work because they won't let me have my run of things as some of you have suggested you would do.

as for respect. I honestly could care less if any of them respect me. I'm not in this business for respect. I wanna get on and off my properties as quickly as possible providing a quality job and get paid at the end of the month. that's it. nothing more, nothing less. not looking to make friends with clients or there respect. as long as they use my services year after year and pay there invoices on time I'm content.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:44 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I know two things,

If you are doing a service agreement with flat rates, you are better off bundling services and doing it over 12 months.

I do not mind the pay go clients either. The ones with monthly billing are the ones that want to ensure they get every nickel out of you and maybe a little more. Often they do get it in the off season too because the employees will spend some extra time there grooming.