Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-24-2012, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Rate Exmark Scag and Walker mulching ability

In the market for another 48" ZTR. Anyone have experience with mulching southern turf and/or leaves with Exmark, Walker, or Scag mowers? I mulch with an Exmark and love it but my deck is older, they no longer make Lazer HP's, and I have no idea if they still mulch well. My gravely Z definitely isn't as good as the Exmark, so those are probably out.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Walker decks is too thin to mulch well. Even with gator blades on it......mulches terribly.
I use two Exmark Lazer Z's 46 with triton decks. Both equipped with the factory lowering rim and installed mulch kits. OEM mulching blades. Love the results for bermuda, and zoysia grass.
I couldn't tell you anything about the SCAG since, this model isn't sold down here much. It is considered a knock off brand to our dealer's. There hasn't been much call for the mower in our peak Exmark market. Cubota, Walker,Exmark, and Grasshopper is all that is purchased in my area. We have learned how to use each mower to its best benefit.
Old 12-25-2012, 02:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would rate the Scag hurricane mulch kit as the best. I use them on all my Scags and they do a beautiful cut. I've never used an Exmark but I would not want to mulch with a Walker. The Walkers are built to bag.
Old 12-25-2012, 11:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Walker decks mulch awesome . Demo one especially the new 48 mulch deck
Old 12-26-2012, 04:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyusa View Post
Walker decks mulch awesome . Demo one especially the new 48 mulch deck
I concur with johnyusa. We have 2 of the new Walker 48" mulch decks on MB's and they are outstanding to say the least. If you need something faster for bigger properties go with the MBS with the 52" rear discharge/mulching deck. We use two of them also with great results. We do have some Toro Grandstands & Exmark walkbehinds with mulch kits on them and they do a nice job but just don't do as well as the Walkers in deeper lush grass. Haven't bagged or side discharged anything in the past 3 seasons now with no complaints after 20 some years of bagging everything. Out of all the machines that I have owned in the past 27 years, the Walker MB 23 EFI with a 48" mulching deck has been my favorite to use.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Mulching is generally considered impossible around here (The Pacific NW), but the 48" Walker Mulch Deck on the MB and the 52" Mulch/Rear Discharge deck on the Super B have me re-thinking.

I've got a customer who bought an MB with that 48" Mulch Deck and he just can't believe that no one can tell he is mulching considering our wet/lush fescue grasses. There is something to be said about the Walker mulch decks being designed to mulch from the get-go, not being designed to side discharge and then altered with a mulch kit.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Can the new 48 in walker mulch decks be used on the MT model or are they only for the MB's?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-26-2012, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-26-2012, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott's Lawn Maintenance View Post
Can the new 48 in walker mulch decks be used on the MT model or are they only for the MB's?
Posted via Mobile Device
Yes, you can use the new 48" mulch deck on a MT. As with most Walker decks they are all interchangable except for the 2 MBS decks ( the 52" DDR & 60" SD ). Though it is recommended that you use the proper deck suited for the tractor's HP. You can also buy adaptors to use the smaller decks and impliments with a MBS. This one of the greatest advantages of a Walker over a fixed deck mower.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-28-2012, 02:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemower View Post
I concur with johnyusa. We have 2 of the new Walker 48" mulch decks on MB's and they are outstanding to say the least. If you need something faster for bigger properties go with the MBS with the 52" rear discharge/mulching deck. We use two of them also with great results. We do have some Toro Grandstands & Exmark walkbehinds with mulch kits on them and they do a nice job but just don't do as well as the Walkers in deeper lush grass. Haven't bagged or side discharged anything in the past 3 seasons now with no complaints after 20 some years of bagging everything. Out of all the machines that I have owned in the past 27 years, the Walker MB 23 EFI with a 48" mulching deck has been my favorite to use.
Thanks to all for the feedback. As with so many things, opinions vary, but I see the actual Walker mulching deck users think highly of their mulching ability.

The MB 23 EFI is what I had in mind when asking this question, though I might go 42" (there is a new mulching version of that also) to access more gates.

In addition to fuel savings, the lighter weight (850 vs 1050 lbs) and shorter footprint (with deck raised) has some appeal, also. I will still have a ZTR around for chop/drop mowing. Most ZTR's I'm looking at are now about 78-80 inches long, which poses some trailer space issues, too. The old Lazer HP was 72" and squeezed on nicely with another ZTR or wb.

Overall, I hear the best things about Exmark, Scag, and Walker when it comes to mulching. I don't see a ton of raves about other brands on that criteria.

Tags
exmark , mulching , scag , walker