Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-07-2003, 08:50 AM
LawnSite Member

Another opinion of elderly customers

I have been reading the threads for a couple of weeks now and am surprised by many of you who have problems with your senior customers. I have to say that these are my favorite group of people. They always pay on time, offer me a cool soda, and give me tomatoes from their gardens. They seem to be so glad to have someone who shows up on time and does quality work. My theory is that here in Phoenix an English speaking, knowledgeable lawn care man is a rarity, and they are willing to pay for it. Lots of people in the business here and lots more work there for the taking, , anyone thought of relocating? Comments welcome!
Old 08-08-2003, 12:35 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Old folks are a major source of income for my business. I have really made an effort to be nice to the older people this year, take a minute and just talk to them. They seem to love that, anyone paying attention to them. But I do have a few gripes about them.

There always seems to be a couple of old men somewhere on my route that live next door to a client, that just HATE me. I dunno why. Maybe it's because my client is paying me to do their lawn, maybe it's because the old guys wish they were young again, maybe the old dudes think everyone should spend all their time on the lawn like they do. But these old dicks just wait for me and spend all their time and effort trying to screw with me. Personally, if I were their age I'd be out enjoying life, not spending all my time hating the lawnmower dude. Whateva. I got one dude that lives next door to a longtime customer. He waits for me to get a stray clipping on his yard, then goes ballistic. Two seasons ago I went off on him, bigtime.

Some old folks hire you, and then do nothing but complain. I appreciate folks that want a good job done, but come on. How picky can you be when you hire someone else to do it? I've got one woman that I've tried so hard to be nice to and make friends with, but she still has something snide to say almost every time. She's definitely on the drop list for next year.

Then there are the cheap ones. You do 1 nice extra thing for them, they jump all over it and want you to do all kinds of extra stuff for free or cheap. Or they complain about the rates, and how they used to get Bobby down the street to cut for $2 and a soda. (Nevermind Bobby is grown with kids of his own now!) I am not fond of the cheap ones at all.

Lots of old folks are nice. Some suck. I guess they are like every other kind of customer, but for some reason it's harder to take the nasty old folks more than nasty other folks. Maybe it's because we expect them all to be like our grandparents, sweet, goofy old people? I dunno.

Old 08-08-2003, 07:19 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Re: Another opinion of elderly customers

Quote:
Originally posted by EvandSeby
My theory is that here in Phoenix an English speaking, knowledgeable lawn care man is a rarity, and they are willing to pay for it.
Come to New Jersey, English is a dying language I'm thinking of learning Spanish, just to be able to buy Gas
Old 08-08-2003, 11:49 AM
LawnSite Member

yeah I have a freind in colorado springs who grew up with me on the east coast He keeps telling me that colorado arizona nevada
are great places to start a business, but is there many lawns in arizona I thought it was desert?
Old 08-08-2003, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Hi EvandSeby,

It sounds like you have a good interaction with your customers. Way to go!
Old 08-09-2003, 07:40 AM
Suspended

Seniors are the back bone of this industry
Old 08-09-2003, 09:25 AM
LawnSite Member

Here in AZ the older homes almost all have lawns. The newer ones either have rock mulch, shrubs, and trees or reduced lawn sizes. Still lots of maintenance to do, however. The places with rocks and shrubs still need pruning and weed control and blowouts ( I usually schedule service for these yards monthly). During the summer months irrigated bermuda grass lawns grow like crazy. In winter we over-seed with rye-grass to keep lawns green when the bermuda goes dormant. The golf courses do this as well. What I deal with on an almost daily basis is people
OVER watering everything!and the problems that result. Thanks for all the comments.....EVand Seby