Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-27-2012, 10:56 AM
LawnSite Member

HIt hard with the storm in CT? Do you plow snow?
Old 12-27-2012, 11:04 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah I plow...got a couple of inches in a hurry last nite but it changed to rain and it's all gone now. I'm down on the shore so that tends to happen a lot. I didn't even bother putting my plow on. It did get pretty windy and the tide got up pretty high (I'm inland about a mile on a tidal river) but a fairly minor storm event overall for me.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:10 AM
LawnSite Member

I bought a $6k plow 2 1/2 years ago, after big storm. Several of my contracts call for snow removal. It has not been on the ground one time. Oh well, some day my ship will come in!http://www.lawnsite.com/images/smilies/confused.gif
Old 12-27-2012, 04:13 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl G View Post
To me the key statement Yardman made is that he doesn't care if his customers respect him. The whole relationship will go smoother if the customer respects you. In my opinion, it is important to gain the customer's respect and establish yourself as the expert so that they will relinquish control of their lawn care to you.
maybe I don't want the responsibility of having complete control of there lawn care. maybe I enjoy the meaningless tasks of cutting the grass and removing leaves.

there's a reason I don't get my fert license and offer lawn apps. I don't the responsibility of keeping there lawn weed free. cutting grass is easy. you do it on a weekly basis and if it doesn't need it one week see you next week (for me anyway).

I guess I shouldn't say I do full service accounts. because when I do I mean full in the sense that I do mowing, mulch, shrub pruning, fall and spring clean ups. that's the extent of my services. 90% of my business is the basic mow, trim, edge, blow and go.

not looking to show the world I'm a lawn expert. just looking to mow some grass and make money to live.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

$6k...damn, that's an expensive plow. I only paid $5,400 for my Boss Pover V XT installed a few years ago.

Technically I could have gone out plowing last night because my 2 inch "trigger" was met but I don't think my customers would have been happy about me billing it since it all disappeared on it's own over night.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:43 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl G View Post
$6k...damn, that's an expensive plow. I only paid $5,400 for my Boss Pover V XT installed a few years ago.

Technically I could have gone out plowing last night because my 2 inch "trigger" was met but I don't think my customers would have been happy about me billing it since it all disappeared on it's own over night.
so if your 2" trigger was met, what kept you waiting.

i've got the truck warming up and getting ready right before the 2" trigger and as soon as i measure 2" i'm on my way to my first account.

personally in your situation i think i would have plowed at least some if it turned to rain and started melting the rest.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:52 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
maybe I don't want the responsibility of having complete control of there lawn care. maybe I enjoy the meaningless tasks of cutting the grass and removing leaves.

there's a reason I don't get my fert license and offer lawn apps. I don't the responsibility of keeping there lawn weed free. cutting grass is easy. you do it on a weekly basis and if it doesn't need it one week see you next week (for me anyway).

I guess I shouldn't say I do full service accounts. because when I do I mean full in the sense that I do mowing, mulch, shrub pruning, fall and spring clean ups. that's the extent of my services. 90% of my business is the basic mow, trim, edge, blow and go.

not looking to show the world I'm a lawn expert. just looking to mow some grass and make money to live.
So your admitting your just a guy from down the street not a true professional, Nothing wrong there, just so we know who we're talking to. Your in discussions with professional LCO's and Landscapers, you do realize there is a difference?
Old 12-27-2012, 06:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:

i've got the truck warming up and getting ready right before the 2" trigger and as soon as i measure 2" i'm on my way to my first account.

personally in your situation i think i would have plowed at least some if it turned to rain and started melting the rest.
I did not feel that I would be doing my customers a service to plow snow that would be gone on it's own within a matter of hours. I would have just burned fuel and added wear and tear to my truck and plow, because I could not have billed them in good conscience for a service that provided them with no real value. If they were commercial accounts that were open rather than residential accounts that would have different. All of my accounts are residential with the exception of one factory lot.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:

These are dishonest business practices. How would you feel if you had to pay a plow bill for 2 inches of snow that melted away the next day?
Old 12-27-2012, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will P.C. View Post
These are dishonest business practices. How would you feel if you had to pay a plow bill for 2 inches of snow that melted away the next day?
Yeah, meanwhile he had this to say in another thread just hours ago.

Quote:
I have one golden rule above all other rules in my business. treat all clients how I would want to be treated and expect clients to treat me as I would treat an LCO.
I guess he likes to pay for unnecessary services, lol.