Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #311  
Old 12-27-2012, 10:56 AM
guitarman2420 guitarman2420 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Midlothian, VA
Posts: 238
HIt hard with the storm in CT? Do you plow snow?
Reply With Quote
  #312  
Old 12-27-2012, 11:04 AM
Darryl G Darryl G is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 7,971
Yeah I plow...got a couple of inches in a hurry last nite but it changed to rain and it's all gone now. I'm down on the shore so that tends to happen a lot. I didn't even bother putting my plow on. It did get pretty windy and the tide got up pretty high (I'm inland about a mile on a tidal river) but a fairly minor storm event overall for me.
Reply With Quote
  #313  
Old 12-27-2012, 11:10 AM
guitarman2420 guitarman2420 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Midlothian, VA
Posts: 238
I bought a $6k plow 2 1/2 years ago, after big storm. Several of my contracts call for snow removal. It has not been on the ground one time. Oh well, some day my ship will come in!http://www.lawnsite.com/images/smilies/confused.gif
Reply With Quote
  #314  
Old 12-27-2012, 04:13 PM
yardguy28 yardguy28 is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl G View Post
To me the key statement Yardman made is that he doesn't care if his customers respect him. The whole relationship will go smoother if the customer respects you. In my opinion, it is important to gain the customer's respect and establish yourself as the expert so that they will relinquish control of their lawn care to you.
maybe I don't want the responsibility of having complete control of there lawn care. maybe I enjoy the meaningless tasks of cutting the grass and removing leaves.

there's a reason I don't get my fert license and offer lawn apps. I don't the responsibility of keeping there lawn weed free. cutting grass is easy. you do it on a weekly basis and if it doesn't need it one week see you next week (for me anyway).

I guess I shouldn't say I do full service accounts. because when I do I mean full in the sense that I do mowing, mulch, shrub pruning, fall and spring clean ups. that's the extent of my services. 90% of my business is the basic mow, trim, edge, blow and go.

not looking to show the world I'm a lawn expert. just looking to mow some grass and make money to live.
Reply With Quote
  #315  
Old 12-27-2012, 04:18 PM
Darryl G Darryl G is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 7,971
$6k...damn, that's an expensive plow. I only paid $5,400 for my Boss Pover V XT installed a few years ago.

Technically I could have gone out plowing last night because my 2 inch "trigger" was met but I don't think my customers would have been happy about me billing it since it all disappeared on it's own over night.
Reply With Quote
  #316  
Old 12-27-2012, 05:43 PM
yardguy28 yardguy28 is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl G View Post
$6k...damn, that's an expensive plow. I only paid $5,400 for my Boss Pover V XT installed a few years ago.

Technically I could have gone out plowing last night because my 2 inch "trigger" was met but I don't think my customers would have been happy about me billing it since it all disappeared on it's own over night.
so if your 2" trigger was met, what kept you waiting.

i've got the truck warming up and getting ready right before the 2" trigger and as soon as i measure 2" i'm on my way to my first account.

personally in your situation i think i would have plowed at least some if it turned to rain and started melting the rest.
Reply With Quote
  #317  
Old 12-27-2012, 05:52 PM
cpllawncare's Avatar
cpllawncare cpllawncare is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 2,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
maybe I don't want the responsibility of having complete control of there lawn care. maybe I enjoy the meaningless tasks of cutting the grass and removing leaves.

there's a reason I don't get my fert license and offer lawn apps. I don't the responsibility of keeping there lawn weed free. cutting grass is easy. you do it on a weekly basis and if it doesn't need it one week see you next week (for me anyway).

I guess I shouldn't say I do full service accounts. because when I do I mean full in the sense that I do mowing, mulch, shrub pruning, fall and spring clean ups. that's the extent of my services. 90% of my business is the basic mow, trim, edge, blow and go.

not looking to show the world I'm a lawn expert. just looking to mow some grass and make money to live.
So your admitting your just a guy from down the street not a true professional, Nothing wrong there, just so we know who we're talking to. Your in discussions with professional LCO's and Landscapers, you do realize there is a difference?
Reply With Quote
  #318  
Old 12-27-2012, 06:26 PM
Darryl G Darryl G is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 7,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
so if your 2" trigger was met, what kept you waiting.

i've got the truck warming up and getting ready right before the 2" trigger and as soon as i measure 2" i'm on my way to my first account.

personally in your situation i think i would have plowed at least some if it turned to rain and started melting the rest.
I did not feel that I would be doing my customers a service to plow snow that would be gone on it's own within a matter of hours. I would have just burned fuel and added wear and tear to my truck and plow, because I could not have billed them in good conscience for a service that provided them with no real value. If they were commercial accounts that were open rather than residential accounts that would have different. All of my accounts are residential with the exception of one factory lot.
Reply With Quote
  #319  
Old 12-27-2012, 06:46 PM
Will P.C. Will P.C. is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
so if your 2" trigger was met, what kept you waiting.

i've got the truck warming up and getting ready right before the 2" trigger and as soon as i measure 2" i'm on my way to my first account.

personally in your situation i think i would have plowed at least some if it turned to rain and started melting the rest.
These are dishonest business practices. How would you feel if you had to pay a plow bill for 2 inches of snow that melted away the next day?
Reply With Quote
  #320  
Old 12-27-2012, 08:37 PM
Darryl G Darryl G is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 7,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will P.C. View Post
These are dishonest business practices. How would you feel if you had to pay a plow bill for 2 inches of snow that melted away the next day?
Yeah, meanwhile he had this to say in another thread just hours ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
I have one golden rule above all other rules in my business. treat all clients how I would want to be treated and expect clients to treat me as I would treat an LCO.
I guess he likes to pay for unnecessary services, lol.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:34 PM.

Page generated in 0.10721 seconds with 10 queries