Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-26-2012, 08:01 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringahding View Post
For sure our business has increased like crazy with the upgrades of our trucks, mowers & trailers. Personally I cannot picture having all the work we do running around with mini-vans(the vehicle I started with) or the 1982 Chevy(R.I.P. miss ya baby!)that once was our main vehicles.

Smart business owners know that "First Impressions" are EVERYTHING, do not fool yourself thinking that is does not.

I suppose you would have to put yourself in your customers shoes, looking out the window.
[/QUOTE]

just checked out your photos on flickr.

nice work and nice set up. you have a few things I wish I had for fall clean ups.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:00 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

just checked out your photos on flickr.

nice work and nice set up. you have a few things I wish I had for fall clean ups.[/QUOTE]

You did notice his stuff was clean and professional looking! doesn't have to be brand new! Brian hit right on the head, IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE!
Old 12-27-2012, 11:21 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes that is really good looking equipment.

Yard guy, I'm kind of like you. I wouldn't necessarily care what equipment was being used so long as the quality of the work was there.

However, that was my intention on starting this thread. Just because I don't care what the equipment looks like doesn't mean my customer or potential customers doesn't care.

This has been very helpful feedback...anyone else?
Old 12-27-2012, 06:00 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Apparently you didn't read Rings post, "Since we upgraded our equipment our business has increased like crazy" obviously you have to start by doing quality work no one is debating that. In addition, he states " Any smart business owner knows that first impressions are everything" In other words in order to get in the door you have to make an initial impression. When your starting out, again obviously you have to do it with salesmanship and quality work, but once over that hurdle you need to build on things like clean professional equipment and such. I started out like most everybody does, with old equipment mostly homeowner grade, old truck and the such, Yet it was always kept clean, it WAS a factor in my growth.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Okay I started this thread so please allow me to steer this back on the right direction.

So it seems that the consensus would say that clean (maybe not necessarily brand new) equipment and appearance is pretty significant.

My next question: how many would go a step further and say that brand new equipment makes more of a positive impression than 5-10 year old equipment, albeit clean equipment? If so...how much more significant is it?
Old 12-27-2012, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy123 View Post
Okay I started this thread so please allow me to steer this back on the right direction.

So it seems that the consensus would say that clean (maybe not necessarily brand new) equipment and appearance is pretty significant.

My next question: how many would go a step further and say that brand new equipment makes more of a positive impression than 5-10 year old equipment, albeit clean equipment? If so...how much more significant is it?
i think new equipment does not matter as much as it being clean. give it a year of use and it will not be new looking.(when used by crews). i think instead of buying new equipment you give it a good paint job. (clean it well, 1 base coat, and 3 coats of clear automotive paint. or just powder coat it if possible. it will look like new equipment. we do it on our machines every 2 years, and when we buy it(if needed). you can't tell what year a mower is from. i don't care who you are, there is almost no difference. they all look the same from 20 feet except the color(model wise)

the truck could make a difference though. you could tell about what year the truck was made by looking at it. body style. my f250 crew cab, raised, offroad really gets noticed. it is my toy truck. i am the only one that drives it. it pulls a trailer, if i am working. the rest of the trucks we use are older rams 2500 or equivalent on silverado or ford. they were repainted to be the same color, when we got them.

Last edited by krzys555; 12-27-2012 at 11:32 PM.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Member

i blacked out the info. yes this is a total show off truck.

we had a great year last year 2011, and i needed some extra deductions
Attached Images

Old 12-28-2012, 08:40 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krzys555 View Post
i blacked out the info. yes this is a total show off truck.

we had a great year last year 2011, and i needed some extra deductions
Damn that's a sweet truck! I would keep that one for personal use !
Old 12-28-2012, 10:00 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyLot View Post
Damn that's a sweet truck! I would keep that one for personal use !
It is a personal truck.
I use it for estimates ect.
If i happen to work in the feild, it pulls a trailer with me driving. Otherwise the truck does not get used for business.
However i tend to use it a lot for personal use
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-28-2012, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

YG28,

The reason people think your arguing is, the people that are in the know, a lot on here, try to explain why this or that works or doesn't and you fire back with it does or doesn't. I generally value the majority of these guys opinions especially the ones that have proven themselves as sucesseful, again, a lot on here. I've had to rethink my way many times after reading the how some of these guys are doing things, I get stubborn sometimes as well, but after giving some thought usually it makes sense, even if it makes it harder on me I will give it a shot. For the most part we are all trying to learn from each other not bash each others head in.