Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-27-2012, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick Pro View Post
To get the triple flange idlers we would of had to get the 15" wide tracks, cat would not put the triple flange withe the 18" wide tracks. I did not understand there reasoning on that one, my salesman fought like hell to get them to do it. 77 thousand was the price tag on this unit.
Now that is interesting ....... had a demo 299D that had triple flange idlers back and front ...
Old 12-27-2012, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

That's such a nice machine. Have fun in it!

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 12-27-2012, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

So there's a narrow track option now?!?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-27-2012, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMCAT View Post
Now that is interesting ....... had a demo 299D that had triple flange idlers back and front ...
Sorry My demo unit had 18" tracks ( didnt even know they would put 15" tracks on a big machine like this )
Old 12-28-2012, 05:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post
There is a back up camera option from Caterpillar you might want to look into, it's a real sweet system.
Posted via Mobile Device
Looking at that thing I would recommend that too, rear visibility?!? what are you looking at? Tree tops and airplanes or the ground a mile away?
Old 12-28-2012, 05:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidsteerman View Post
Looking at that thing I would recommend that too, rear visibility?!? what are you looking at? Tree tops and airplanes or the ground a mile away?
I'd gladly trade a little bit of visibility for some of the new features in CAT's D series- speed sensitive ride control, return to dig, automatic work tool positioning (returns work tool to same position every time), eco mode, decelarator pedal, seat mounted joysticks, demand fan, AMICS, electronic torque management, straight line tracking, power turn, hydraulic accumulator (dead engine lower and level), finally has good engine hp and torque, self level both up and down, electronic snubbing on the lift (just like large wheel loaders), etc. I believe that most of these are standard too.

The fact is that with a back-up camera it should have "the best" rear visibility without even having to turn your head.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:38 PM
LawnSite Member

What kind of work are you doing with this sized machine?

Beautiful rig
Old 12-28-2012, 05:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digdeep View Post
I'd gladly trade a little bit of visibility for some of the new features in CAT's D series- speed sensitive ride control, return to dig, automatic work tool positioning (returns work tool to same position every time), eco mode, decelarator pedal, seat mounted joysticks, demand fan, AMICS, electronic torque management, straight line tracking, power turn, hydraulic accumulator (dead engine lower and level), finally has good engine hp and torque, self level both up and down, electronic snubbing on the lift (just like large wheel loaders), etc. I believe that most of these are standard too.

The fact is that with a back-up camera it should have "the best" rear visibility without even having to turn your head.
Most of that stuff will not be Cat exclusive 2013.

"The straight line tracking, power turn, hydraulic accumulator (dead engine lower and level), finally has good engine hp and torque" - a tweaked and modified anti-stall system they've always ran.

If you have to buy a backup camera to see out the back of that unit, then it has very poor rear visibility for the camera to be needed.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidsteerman View Post
Most of that stuff will not be Cat exclusive 2013.

"The straight line tracking, power turn, hydraulic accumulator (dead engine lower and level), finally has good engine hp and torque" - a tweaked and modified anti-stall system they've always ran.

If you have to buy a backup camera to see out the back of that unit, then it has very poor rear visibility for the camera to be needed.
I agree, and you know from my previous posts that I'm not exactly a CAT guy, but the fact that they're out with the stuff now means that others are playing catch-up, and some of this stuff has been out for some time already, not just on their D series. By all accounts they are leading the charge in terms of features and benefits without rehashing or rebranding the same stuff.

I've operated the XHP version of the 299D and I thought it was an excellent machine. It's not the best for rear visibility, but it definitely hasn't been a deal breaker considering the amount of D series my buddy is selling.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Member

We were just going to get another 289 but the 289c2 has less power and none of the bells and whistles that the 299 has, so we went with the 299 so far it has been a good choice. We do all types of excavation work and demolition.