Register free!

Old 12-28-2012, 09:34 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

What a bored hardscaper does on winter days.

Thought I would share this. I had a ball with my son yesterday in the foot of new snow we received. I don't know if we are making a wall or a whole fort yet, I guess I will see how it develops today. We just started packing snow in some bins and now we have snow blocks. He was having a ball. He has already started building a pile of snow balls for his ammunition against his sisters and has placed them behind the protection of the wall.
Attached Images

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com
Old 12-28-2012, 09:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

igloo for the win
Old 12-28-2012, 09:40 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Haha awesome!

When i was 9 i used to take the skid steer and do all my neighbors driveways, make a huge pile and then tunnel it out
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-28-2012, 01:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Where is the geogrid?????????
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-28-2012, 02:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

pretty cool. what was used for base? lol
Old 12-28-2012, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groomer View Post
pretty cool. what was used for base? lol
That is a good question. First off, I used a base course of miscellaneous grass fibers mixed with course particles of snow to knit the fibrous base together for strength and rigididy. above that I used a thin course of fine textured snow, (dry preferably since it screeds better than wet snow). Upon that we set our base course of snow blocks, being sure to knife off the bottoms smooth so they set straight......

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com
Old 12-28-2012, 06:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

And of course you got your building permit, right?
Old 12-28-2012, 06:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well done! Making memories! He will always remember that.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lite4 View Post
That is a good question. First off, I used a base course of miscellaneous grass fibers mixed with course particles of snow to knit the fibrous base together for strength and rigididy. above that I used a thin course of fine textured snow, (dry preferably since it screeds better than wet snow). Upon that we set our base course of snow blocks, being sure to knife off the bottoms smooth so they set straight......
Haven't you been reading DVS's posts?!?! You should never incorporate grass fibers in the snow for the base course. The grass will deteriorate very quickly, and you'll have a call back in a week or so. Use some polyolefin rope cut into 3 cm sections and frayed in an "X" pattern. About 1 pound of fibers per linear foot should do. That will give you superior stability and last well into the first real thaw.

I won't even comment on the color. It's probably the same color as every other snow wall on the block. Geez, why can't you amateurs hire a pro with some landscape design ability? Are you a homeowner? You said you're a landscaper, but I'll bet you were doing that as a homeowner project.

Find someone who has built some snow walls and work with them for a while before you go out on your own like that.

I have lots more to say but I'm on my mobile phone now. There's so much wrong with this I don't know where to begin.

(Just kidding, it looks great!)
Old 01-05-2013, 06:20 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWG View Post
Haven't you been reading DVS's posts?!?! You should never incorporate grass fibers in the snow for the base course. The grass will deteriorate very quickly, and you'll have a call back in a week or so. Use some polyolefin rope cut into 3 cm sections and frayed in an "X" pattern. About 1 pound of fibers per linear foot should do. That will give you superior stability and last well into the first real thaw.

I won't even comment on the color. It's probably the same color as every other snow wall on the block. Geez, why can't you amateurs hire a pro with some landscape design ability? Are you a homeowner? You said you're a landscaper, but I'll bet you were doing that as a homeowner project.

Find someone who has built some snow walls and work with them for a while before you go out on your own like that.

I have lots more to say but I'm on my mobile phone now. There's so much wrong with this I don't know where to begin.

(Just kidding, it looks great!)
Too funny. As far as color goes, I did sprinkle some of my blood on the wall for effect. (I cut my hand on one of the plastic bins we were using). So, at least it did look like a true masacre had taken place.

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com