Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-28-2012, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Tuff getting started ?

So I will be starting up next Aegean part time in a pretty wealthy area. My question or "fear" is there are a lot of big classy company's around. Most people that want landscaping services are prob happy with there company I would thnk? I know I'm good at customer service an a good business man and know it takes time to build up in the beginning. But I guess all It takes is one customer to like you an spread the word? Do people really switch lawn care companies often ?
Old 12-28-2012, 08:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

In reality, people do not change often as long as the service is good. Customers that do change often are the ones you do not want.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
In reality, people do not change often as long as the service is good. Customers that do change often are the ones you do not want.
So is there "enough grass to go around" ? Lol. A lot of these company's are huge an its intimidating.. I'm up for the challenge an will do what ever it takes to make it but def seems very difficult when there are all these other company's out there
Old 12-28-2012, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Competition is a good sign as that means there is a market.
Just do not fall into the trap of pricing too low just to gain business. Do a good job, do a great job but do not go cheap. It will take a few years to build a reputation but that is your goal then you can command your price above market.

New yards are pretty easy to pick up in growth areas. Older yards will take more marketing. If you get one or two yards then do a great job so people see your work.

You can target market folks but it cost more . I once did a data base purchase, printed personal letter and hand signed them and hand addressed them with a regular stamp. Did not look like junk main at all and everyone is going to open it. It is a personal letter, they will open and read it. That is how you get into high end markets.

Last edited by Duekster; 12-28-2012 at 08:40 PM.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
Competition is a good sign as that means there is a market.
Just do not fall into the trap of pricing too low just to gain business. Do a good job, do a great job but do not go cheap. It will take a few years to build a reputation but that is your goal then you can command your price above market.

New yards are pretty easy to pick up in growth areas. Older yards will take more marketing. If you get one or two yards then do a great job so people see your work.

You can target market folks but it cost more . I once did a data base purchase, printed personal letter and hand signed them and hand addressed them with a regular stamp. Did not look like junk main at all and everyone is going to open it. It is a personal letter, they will open and read it. That is how you get into high end markets.
Yea I already made the decision and told my self I will not under bid. I will charge equally to everyone else in my area an provide excellent customer service. My time is worth money an I will not work for free. Yea I guess I just gotta hope to grab 2 or 3 accounts in the beginning an hope they spread the word !
Old 12-28-2012, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyLot View Post
Yea I already made the decision and told my self I will not under bid. I will charge equally to everyone else in my area an provide excellent customer service. My time is worth money an I will not work for free. Yea I guess I just gotta hope to grab 2 or 3 accounts in the beginning an hope they spread the word !
Do not hope for referrals, but after a while you will have to push for a little love.
Website is a must.
Find as many free sites as you can to post your business info.
Bing, google, yelp, Angie's list, so on and so forth and other local list.

Go to INFOUSA to buy a list, it can be short but get a good demographic... send the letters as I said before.

Under promise and over deliver.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Tuff getting started ?

You will do fine! Slow and steady will get you loyal customers. When I started, I concentrated on doing the best I could and it built up fast enough. Don't be intimidated by others because the big guys wished they were smaller like yourself.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Appreciate the words of advice !