Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-28-2012, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Kohler 29 EFI?

I went ahead and bought a Gravely 460 today with the Kohler 29 EFI. They had a Kawasaki in stock as well, and although I've had no problems with the Kawasaki engines on my other mowers, I wanted to give the EFI a try. I'm just curious if any of you used this engine this past season and if you checked the fuel consumption rate? Thanks.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:07 AM
LawnSite Member

I was looking at a similar set up. How much did your dealer come off msrp? I hear gravely dealers are very flexible with prices.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Been using it for a few seasons now, on a toro G3 60 inch, and getting gph around 1. And I'm at 8500 ft elevation.

YourSkiCoach.com
Old 12-29-2012, 08:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOturkey View Post
I went ahead and bought a Gravely 460 today with the Kohler 29 EFI. They had a Kawasaki in stock as well, and although I've had no problems with the Kawasaki engines on my other mowers, I wanted to give the EFI a try. I'm just curious if any of you used this engine this past season and if you checked the fuel consumption rate? Thanks.
I am not saying this will be the best engine you've ever owned (it could be mechanically defective), but I will say there will be the difference of night and day between this fuel injected engine when comparing to any standard carburetor type engine you've owned previously.

Once you own and operate a fuel injected mower, you would hate the thoughts of going back, I did. The last 72" Super Z I bought this fall was only offered with a carburetor engine, so I was forced to take the 35 hp Kawasaki FX1000V. I have a 2006 year model Super Z with a Kohler 28 EFI (new engine, maybe 20 hrs.), and I can walk outside right now with the temperature around 40°, raise the throttle lever on the fuel injected mower, turn the key switch, and it will start instantly. I can then walk over to the new mower, pull the choke fully up, turn the key switch, and it may or may not fire immediately, but once it does I must play with the choke a few seconds to keep it running.

Once it is warm there is no problem, but this is something I've not needed to do in six years. The 28 efi I just replaced never failed to crank and run perfectly throughout its entire life, not once did it ever fail to crank if the engine turned over twice. Most people would still be running the engine I replaced, but I found some weakness in one cylinder, needed to spend some money before the year end, so I had everything replaced. My wife (and myself) liked this mower so much, I had a new engine, new hydraulic pumps and wheel motors, new clutch, new spindles, new wiring, new hoses, new control panel, new seat, new fuse holder and relays installed.

I would not have done this if not for the fact I know how meticulous my mechanic is, look at this picture and pay attention to detail; such as routing of hoses and wires, and how he secured everything extremely well, even to the point of installing new plastic sheathing around the wiring.

Old 12-29-2012, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Don't forget the pics....
Old 12-29-2012, 10:56 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTrucks4Life View Post
I was looking at a similar set up. How much did your dealer come off msrp? I hear gravely dealers are very flexible with prices.
I never quibble over prices with my dealer. He treats me well, and has done me some favors in the past. The unit I bought was a demo, they didn't have a "new" unit in stock, and I was wanting to purchase before the first of the year for tax purposes. But, to answer your question, I think I bought it for about $2,200 below list price.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:58 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaver View Post
Don't forget the pics....
I'm letting the dealer keep it until spring, so I won't have to try and cram it in my garage with all my other stuff.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I'm letting the dealer keep it until spring, so I won't have to try and cram it in my garage with all my other stuff.
You gotta put it into service to claim the tax deduction. Need some Pics for the IRS
Old 12-29-2012, 01:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELS Landscape View Post
You gotta put it into service to claim the tax deduction. Need some Pics for the IRS
You are correct, I went through an extensive IRS audit this year, the kind so extreme they come and physically look at everything you own, make you prove every penny spent, and then show why it was spent. This is a tremendous amount of work to provide all documentation required by these people, I keep very good books, and was required to go outside what you would believe necessary to satisfy their wants. I bought a piece of equipment late in the fall of 2011, and I had to jump through several hoops for the IRS before they allowed the in-service deduction.

This is the second audit I've been through in my life, and by far the toughest. I would not wish an audit of this magnitude on my worst enemy.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
You are correct, I went through an extensive IRS audit this year, the kind so extreme they come and physically look at everything you own, make you prove every penny spent, and then show why it was spent. This is a tremendous amount of work to provide all documentation required by these people, I keep very good books, and was required to go outside what you would believe necessary to satisfy their wants. I bought a piece of equipment late in the fall of 2011, and I had to jump through several hoops for the IRS before they allowed the in-service deduction.

This is the second audit I've been through in my life, and by far the toughest. I would not wish an audit of this magnitude on my worst enemy.
I should have used this instead of this

I have not been through a physical audit before but several paper distant audits. I have a buddy that has at his place of business. He keeps meticulous records. I suppose I could buy a few more file cabinets and add another room of my house to the home office deduction just for storage.