Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-27-2012, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

if its agreed upon ahead of time.

my agreement with all my snow removal clients is 2" or greater. that doesn't mean let the 2" fall and wait and see if its going to melt. I would get started on who I could and stop once it started to melt.

in fact I've done this before. I've started a route only to have it warm up and start to melt. some paid for service others did not. no one was upset.

but hey I guess I'm just the guy down the street so what do I know......
Old 12-27-2012, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I need to take a break from you...lol.

Actually my trigger is 2 inches of snowfall, not 2 inches of accumulated snow. So if we get 2 inches of snow that all melts as soon as it hits I guess I should go ahead and charge them even if I don't plow?
Old 12-28-2012, 09:16 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl G View Post
I need to take a break from you...lol.

Actually my trigger is 2 inches of snowfall, not 2 inches of accumulated snow. So if we get 2 inches of snow that all melts as soon as it hits I guess I should go ahead and charge them even if I don't plow?
no you made an excellent clarifying point.

my trigger is 2" of accumulated snow. as soon as we have that I'm on my commercial lots.

unless its a large amount of snow expected residentials usually wait until its done snowing.

take a break darryl. no need to exhaust yourself......lol
Old 12-28-2012, 05:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Sometimes its hard not to be negative. Anytime you take advantage of a client you display your business ethics and close the door to future business. My conscience would keep me up at night if i ran out the door and plowed someones drive and found out that the snow melted on its own and hoped the customer wouldn't care. I dont care if they care or not - I care.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-28-2012, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

well I haven't had a client yet that's ever been upset that I plowed there snow when it would have melted on its own later in the day. most understand you can't predict the weather.

they would rather have it plowed so they know its gone than hope the weather melts it later.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

No, they weren't upset, but you said earlier that some don't pay because of it...so you wasted time and fuel and put wear and tear on your rig with no return...sorry but that's plain ummmm...unsmart.

Sorry I have to go beat my head against the wall for a while.......I love it because it feels so good when I stop!
Old 12-28-2012, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

My snow contracts specifically state if snow melts on its own during the day. I don't show up. I watch weather and condtions like a hawk on my smartphone.

My flate rate clients have a 1.5 to 2" trigger but I always over deliver. Simply good PR.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-29-2012, 01:07 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl G View Post
No, they weren't upset, but you said earlier that some don't pay because of it...so you wasted time and fuel and put wear and tear on your rig with no return...sorry but that's plain ummmm...unsmart.

Sorry I have to go beat my head against the wall for a while.......I love it because it feels so good when I stop!
we're did I say some don't pay b/c of it

if I did it was a typo. all my clients pay for services or get turned over to a collection agency. I must have made a spelling/grammar error.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
we're did I say some don't pay b/c of it

if I did it was a typo. all my clients pay for services or get turned over to a collection agency. I must have made a spelling/grammar error.
Happens to the best of us.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:55 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
I'm still say that if you want to be a professional looking company and not a joe blow, you'll bill monthly, as any other legimate service company does. What if you had to send in a check everytime you used the phone or everytime you watched TV? per service just isn't a way to operate a legit business.
So A&P super market is not a real business?

Mobil gas stations are not a real business?

Restaurants are not real business'?

Barber shop is not a real business?

Macy's is not a real business?

Utilities provide a continuous service 24/7. There are meters to record usage automatically. This is why they bill you monthly. Pay the water co. after you flush your morning piss. Then pay the water co to fill your coffee pot and the gas co. to perk your coffee. Then pay the water co. to take a shower and the gas co. to heat the water. You didn't even cook breakfast yet or left the house. You could wind up writing 30 checks before you go to work.

Those that need the trappings of large corporation to feel they have a real business must have self image issues.