Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-19-2012, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

All of your replies have been very helpful. Im going to stay solo to keep things simple and I can really focus on getting a tight route and work on my pricing and speeding myself up.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-20-2012, 12:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

yeah getting yards close together is huge. i've only had that luxury a few times. that's where you really make the money. last year i had two across the street from each other. i was in and out in about 1 1/2 hrs and i was making $110. hard to beat that. too bad one of them moved and the other decided to start mowing themselves lol.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:11 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl G View Post
$8/hr isn't even minimum wage where I am and it barely is where you are...seems kind of low to me for a laborer.
I start my helpers at 10 and workem up to 12, crew leaders start at 14 and work up to 16, but they have to be really good to get to 16.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Small stripe, i had the same issue and thoughts as you did when i got over 30 accounts. I was seeing where i could save time and speed up the route. I have 7 houses that are well over 2 acres with fenced in pool areas and doing them alone took me 3 hrs a house minimum. But on the other hand my other accounts took me 20-30min in and out solo. So having three guys including myself would have worked great on the big houses but the small ones it would have been counter productive. So i have just one other guy now that does maintenance with me an when we do pavers or construction of any type i call in other people. In 2012 we only cut grass two days a week but this year hopefully I can do three days because the grass grows and it has to be cut; people will wait on construction projects. And small yard signs and good quality stripes are the best way to get calls. 60% of my calls for maintenance last year were from people who saw my signs.

2014 Ford F-350 Powerstroke Diesel 6.7L
2007 Ford F-550 Powerstroke Switch-n-go 6.0L
2005 Ford F-250 Powerstroke Diesel 6.0L
2000 Ford F-250 Powerstroke w/EZdump 7.3L
2010 7x16 Enclosed
2013 60" eXmark Vantage X-series
eXmark 52" and 36" hydro Walk behinds
Little Wonder & Billy Goat Force Push Blowers
REDMAX Blowers, Trimmers
Giant Vac 35hp Truck Loader
Bandit 250xp 12" chipper
Husqvarna XP saws
Old 12-27-2012, 09:01 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl G View Post
$8/hr isn't even minimum wage where I am and it barely is where you are...seems kind of low to me for a laborer.
That's the point.
It's unskilled labor.
I wouldn't put a new hire on an expensive mower on my valuable accounts.
They would start by trimming and blowing.
I'd like to pay them what they're worth but, there is a minimum wage law.
$8 or, minimum wage is fine to start with until someone demonstrates some skills.

NObama '08
NoMoreObama '12
Well, I hope everyone is happy now.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:33 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

$25 cuts way to low. How many square feet these property's?

10 lawns solo

14 with two

I would think you should do better then 4 more lawns with two men.

You are doing 40 lawns a day now and you largest mower is a 36".

Forget getting a 2nd 36". You need to increase production capability with a larger mower. 48", 54", 60", before you add a 2nd employee.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Member

I had this thought process 4 year's ago. Should I hire someone or stay solo. You can do more work with two people compared to one. More work equals more profit. You say that you can get up to 30 calls a day. That's hard to believe but for argumentative sake. If you get that many calls you are letting a lot of business walk. The more work the more profit. If you don't have enough work for another guy (40 hr week) then be straight up with the guy and he'll stay around. If you say you are turning down lots of work that means you can't do it all meaning you need more help to get the jobs done.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Each area is different. In my area (next to Chicago) we service alot of small properties. We can do 50 lawns in one day (one crew 2 or 3 guys) easy and our average lawn price is $25. Some lawns take 3 to 5 min to mow. No lie! I've timed them. I understand the responsiblity you have when you get a employee. It's really not that bad. It's actually great! You don't have to do as much of the labor. That's how business works. You hire people for labor and do the jobs while you look for the jobs and or help with the labor until you get bigger. If you stay solo you'll always be solo and never grow. I was solo for 4 years while I went back to school. Customers look at you differently when you have employees. It makes you look more professional. Bringing in more work and more work equals higher profits.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Member

And the lowballer poster guy. What kind of thought process is that? Sounds to me that you are playing a game with customers. You tell them that if someone offers a lower price then you might be able to work with them for a lower price? What the...? How about doing a great job and offering a fair price? Unbelievable!
Old 12-29-2012, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

50 lawns a day! WOW