Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-30-2012, 12:20 AM
LawnSite Member

Tough Decision Ahead - Input Appreciated

I've been mowing lawns for the past 5 years as a small side business while I went to high school and now college. I always had a part time job along with mowing lawns, so that wasn't my only income. I worked at a grocery store for almost 3 years and a home improvement store in the lumber yard for a summer, then I found this job.
I'm half way through my second year of college, where I'm going to school to be a Diesel/Heavy Equipment Technician. In September I got a job working at an International Truck Dealership, working nights after school. When I graduate in May they're going to offer me full time, working nights (3:30pm-12 midnight) .
I'm trying to rationally weigh my options of staying in the mechanic field or whether I should try to pursue a career mowing lawns, landscaping, snow removal etc.
I've tried thinking of pros and cons of each, I have talked to other mechanics about that field, but I don't have contact with any other LCO's in my area that I can talk with.
What I ask of you guys is to help me with a list of pros and cons or even just some kind words to help me make a logical decision. I'm sure some others on here have gone through similar situations and can offer some advise or words of wisdom. Everything is appreciated!
Also some things to take into account are I am working on getting my CDL right now. I enjoy both lines of work, each on has it's ups and downs. The reason I'm contemplating this decision is because for some reason I don't feel like I want to be a mechanic forever, but I think part of it is I'm getting burned out- School from 8am-3pm Work 3:30 pm to 10:30-11pm, 5 days a week. I miss my old jobs where I would interact with "customers" and now I don't really get a chance to do that as a mechanic. If I was to do landscaping/mowing I really feel like I can do a better job than the competition in my area.

Here's some points that I've come up with on my own

Mechanic- Pros
Jobs are always going to be there, there's always going to be work to do.
I already have my foot in the door for a job/career.
Already have the training and tools.
I enjoy working with my hands
-Cons
I don't know if It's necessarily for me
Lately there's more I don't enjoy than there is I do, I don't want to spend to much time doing something I don't enjoy.

LCO- Pros
I already have a small client list.
I still have my mowers and other misc equipment, enough to get started.
I'm young (20) no rent, live at home, single= Low overhead
I really enjoy the work, I like to work hard and see what I've accomplished
-Cons
Lots of competition in my area
I'm not licensed or insured- will be if I go this route
I don't have any formal training in Business or landscaping- Plan on taking classes if I go this route
Is there enough work?

Just typing this up has helped me look at my options. I greatly appreciate an and all help I get!
Thanks ahead of time!