Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-30-2012, 02:43 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I don't think $8 an hour starting is too low, matter of fact I think minimum wage is on the high side, it would be a different story if this were a national chain or even a large local business that's well known all over town, and maybe yours is all that but I know in my case, it's not.

And that's why they don't come to me first choice, maybe you they do.
But not my business, no sir.

First they've already tried everyone else, or maybe they can't think of anyone else at the moment.
Get my drift?

They come to me when all other avenues have been exhausted, right about when nobody else will hire them, or as a last resort...
And they might act like they have options, but chances are they're all out of those.
That's when they come to me.

So what do you think, I'm going to pay them more?
Than the folks who would not hire them?

Kid yourself not.

Last edited by herler; 12-30-2012 at 02:48 AM.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:33 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I just watched "Atlas Shrugged" again last night.
It keeps me on my toes.
Pay people whatever you want.
It's your business, ........for now.

NObama '08
NoMoreObama '12
Well, I hope everyone is happy now.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:39 PM
LawnSite Member

I think $8 per hour is low I start part time guys at $10.To me this is not an unskilled job it is more of a semiskilled job that requires some training so your employees can operate safely. I also feel the more you pay the less likely you will get the crazy employees.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tharrell View Post
I just watched "Atlas Shrugged" again last night.
It keeps me on my toes.
Pay people whatever you want.
It's your business, ........for now.
Is it on DVD ?
Old 12-30-2012, 03:09 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

What you pay your employees an hour in the big picture is irrelevant. What ever minimum wage is add 30-50% to that and thats the starting wage. No one is going to do a hard job for minimum wage when they can get an easy job for minimum wage. McDonald's starts around 10 an hour here so we must start around 12-13. Do I feel the guys are worth that today nope but I have competition for workers not just from landscapers but from every other entry level job in the area. And this generation wants it now and do not want to work for it so they almost always break towards whats easy.

Now I have no idea why the op thinks an employee will boost him from 10 lawns to 14 a day. Those numbers are so low as to not be worth doing it. I run two 2 man crews and our numbers look a lot different 50-70 lawns per day or an average of 25-35 lawns per 2 man crew per day.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly's Landscaping View Post
50-70 lawns per day or an average of 25-35 lawns per 2 man crew per day.
You mowing postage stamps or every house on the block?
Old 12-30-2012, 06:04 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

my personal opinion is to stay solo but it all depends on where you really want your business to be.

i don't mind doing everything and sacrificing things like vacations. but some want to be able to take a day or week off here and there and still have the business making them money.

i don't wanna deal with the headaches and responsibilities that come with having employees. i'm fine growing or keep my business with enough work for me, myself and i.

i don't really know where the idea comes from that you could only do 4 more lawns a day with an employee. i can turn about between 10 and 12 lawns a day solo. if i were to hire someone, i better be turning out at least 20-24 a day.

i don't think 20-24 lawns a day is unreasonable for a 2 man crew. and NO i don't mean postage stamp lawns or every lawn in the neighborhood. most of the lawns i service solo aren't postage stamp size and i turn out 10 a day so a helper should double that amount because i should be spending half the time on each property.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:07 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
You mowing postage stamps or every house on the block?
Hardly 10-15000 sq ft is about the average. I have at-least 25 one acre plus accounts one of them 4 acres.

As for clusters and I curse you for making me run down stairs and grab the lists to look this up. But for understanding my number purposes I'll break it down now

clusters
6 houses 1 cluster
5 houses 4 clusters
4 houses 4 clusters
3 houses 10 clusters
2 houses 21 clusters
the rest are singles

But the break down for drive time would cause many here to be envious My second crew has 110 accounts does that in 3 days and puts fewer than 75 miles on the truck to do it.

I drive a bit more with 80 or so accounts in 3 days and rack up about 110 miles.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
my personal opinion is to stay solo but it all depends on where you really want your business to be.

i don't mind doing everything and sacrificing things like vacations. but some want to be able to take a day or week off here and there and still have the business making them money.

i don't wanna deal with the headaches and responsibilities that come with having employees. i'm fine growing or keep my business with enough work for me, myself and i.

i don't really know where the idea comes from that you could only do 4 more lawns a day with an employee. i can turn about between 10 and 12 lawns a day solo. if i were to hire someone, i better be turning out at least 20-24 a day.

i don't think 20-24 lawns a day is unreasonable for a 2 man crew. and NO i don't mean postage stamp lawns or every lawn in the neighborhood. most of the lawns i service solo aren't postage stamp size and i turn out 10 a day so a helper should double that amount because i should be spending half the time on each property.

I truly appreciate your and others like you position. I know there are plenty old timer that are mowing in their 50's and maybe later.

I see growing my business as my retirement plan, I will be able to show up and chase the administrative assistant a few laps around the desk for my exercise while the guys go out and make the jobs happen.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Employees can be a pain. Treat your employees right, motivate them and show them there is room for growth with your company. Charge accordingly so you can pay your employees a decent salary. Also hand pick your employees and that will make life easier. I have 20 employees and our operation runs smoothly every day.
Posted via Mobile Device