Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-30-2012, 05:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I am not sure broadcasting post cards will be effective because I have not tried it. I know personal letter work well. Just kind of a hassle to merge print, sign and hand address and stamp.

You can set up different demographics, own home, X $ value , X age range, X income. X zip code
Old 12-30-2012, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Make your website first and foremost, get your business cards next, craigs list works but you need a really good looking ad not just a posting type ad. Honestly the web is where it's at, once you get enough business THEN think about postcards, always ASK WHERE DID YOU HEAR ABOUT US? when a potential customer calls and track where your leads are coming from, I know where every lead we got came from last year. websites don't have to be expensive, get your own domain name and hosting from someone like go daddy or the likes and manage your own site, it's the best way to go.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Member

If your area has a local paper put an ad in it. Something simple and post your website on the ad. Not all small lawn companies have a good professional looking website. When a drought comes back off for a week from some properties that look browned out. Your customers will thank you. Alot of lawn compainies will keep mowing when lawns are browned out and it makes them look desperate and money hungry. I've received many calls asking if we mow during dry periods. What would your answer be? We went to 3 times a week for 3 weeks this last June because of the dry conditions. Door hangers or flyers are a must. We start March 1st here in the Chicago area with flyers and go through April 1st. The harder you work in this business the more results you'll get. You can do the door hangers again in the fall for snow services in Oct. and Nov.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Also buy all commercial equipment. Trust me. Paying a little more for a commercial mower or weed wacker will save you alot of money in the end. When I started I bought a new briggs and stratton sears mower and it worked great for a month but after that it fell apart. Those mowers are made to be used once a week by homeowners. They can't take the abuse of starting and stopping and the bumps and dings. The wheels are the terrible. Most commercial equipment is the same quality. I like redmax blowers and echo wackers and honda 21 inchers and wright standers but most commercial suff is good. Honda engines are the best small engines IMO. Get to know a dealer in your area. They may have some good used stuff.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Actually the VERY FIRST thing is sitdown and write a buisness plan, it will force you to think about what is involved and come up with a plan. It should take you a while to do this as in months not days, it took me a good two months to write mine and I was told that was actually quick.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Member

You do not want to do 10 days a week lawn maint. jobs. It's once a week or once every two weeks. Tell the customer this right away and say that most people are weekly and if they ask for biweeekly then tell them it costs a little more. They will respect that. But try and sell the weekly service first. Every ten days can get messy with some days falling on Sundays or holidays and what if one lawn is every ten days and for that particular week its clear across town from your route for that day? Waste of time! You want to bunch the properties together.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Also, tell everyone that you have a lawn or landscaping business. Friends, family, strangers. Anyone you talk too. And don't tell people you are just starting. If they ask you how much experience do you have be honest but you shouldn't tell them first that you are just starting out.