Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #71  
Old 12-31-2012, 09:41 AM
TriCityLawnCareLLC's Avatar
TriCityLawnCareLLC TriCityLawnCareLLC is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 946
There is a thread here called "how to fail in the lawn industry by Someone who did it" read that
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 12-31-2012, 09:44 AM
Duekster Duekster is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 7,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriCityLawnCareLLC View Post
There is a thread here called "how to fail in the lawn industry by Someone who did it" read that
Posted via Mobile Device
Very good read IIRCC
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 12-31-2012, 04:07 PM
gallihergreen's Avatar
gallihergreen gallihergreen is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Research Triangle, NC
Posts: 2,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriCityLawnCareLLC View Post
There is a thread here called "how to fail in the lawn industry by Someone who did it" read that
Posted via Mobile Device
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=262189
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 12-31-2012, 04:08 PM
gallihergreen's Avatar
gallihergreen gallihergreen is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Research Triangle, NC
Posts: 2,679
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=262189

Link didn't work for some reason.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 12-31-2012, 08:23 PM
Brucelawns Brucelawns is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Forest Park, ill
Posts: 44
Duekster, yea, on average we can do 40 lawns a day in an 8 hr day but have easily done 50 lawns a day with a two man or three man crew. I live in a highly populated area and the houses are plentiful. We have never done a acre house at a residential property. No such thing around me. Unless you go out west 30 to 45 min. Then maybe. I have read alot of these threads and the biggest thing is knowing your numbers and that takes time and experience. The young guys starting out shouldn't be discouraged because in due time you have to figure your numbers out to make a profit. This job is definitly not for everyone but it can be a fun one and profitable if you get educated.
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 12-31-2012, 10:56 PM
Duekster Duekster is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 7,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelawns View Post
Duekster, yea, on average we can do 40 lawns a day in an 8 hr day but have easily done 50 lawns a day with a two man or three man crew. I live in a highly populated area and the houses are plentiful. We have never done a acre house at a residential property. No such thing around me. Unless you go out west 30 to 45 min. Then maybe. I have read alot of these threads and the biggest thing is knowing your numbers and that takes time and experience. The young guys starting out shouldn't be discouraged because in due time you have to figure your numbers out to make a profit. This job is definitly not for everyone but it can be a fun one and profitable if you get educated.
Understood but the 50 lawns a day does not jive with most peoples post.
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 01-01-2013, 12:27 AM
Brucelawns Brucelawns is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Forest Park, ill
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
Understood but the 50 lawns a day does not jive with most peoples post.
I see that. Each area is different and each setup or model is different. I think maybe, we all want what we don't have. I would like to get bigger residential acre properties and alot guys would like to do smaller lawns. Each lawn brings profit because you can upsell for different services as well. I'm sure you and everyone know that I haven't seen many city guys on this site. Where are they???
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 01-01-2013, 12:34 AM
yardguy28 yardguy28 is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,465
the city guys are to busying taking a leak on there clients property to post on here......lol
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 01-01-2013, 01:04 AM
Brucelawns Brucelawns is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Forest Park, ill
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
the city guys are to busying taking a leak on there clients property to post on here......lol
Whoawhoawhoa. Come on! Ha!
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 01-03-2013, 10:03 AM
smallstripesnc smallstripesnc is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelawns View Post
I had this thought process 4 year's ago. Should I hire someone or stay solo. You can do more work with two people compared to one. More work equals more profit. You say that you can get up to 30 calls a day. That's hard to believe but for argumentative sake. If you get that many calls you are letting a lot of business walk. The more work the more profit. If you don't have enough work for another guy (40 hr week) then be straight up with the guy and he'll stay around. If you say you are turning down lots of work that means you can't do it all meaning you need more help to get the jobs done.
I haven't been on lawnsite in awhile but its sad people don't even believe each other. From the beginning of March to the end of June I usually get the 30 calls a day or so. I do turn down a TON of work but a lot of the people call me because they see I do quality work and I do get tons of calls from word of mouth. Now the word of mouth clients I do feel bad not taking on but hiring help just adds more headache. I've seen quite a few people on here mention they'd rather stay solo and keep quality accounts instead of taking what ever they can get to keep employees busy.

I only use a 36in mower because anything bigger wouldn't fit in the gates and a lot of my properties have slopes/hills and I would rather not use a bigger zero turn or even a bigger walk behind on them properties.

As far as my pricing and sizing of property. There all under 1/2 acre and a lot of them are less than 15,000 sq feet and most are less than 10,000 sq feet. A lot of guys JUST for mowing, edging, line trimming, blowing charge around $25 to $35 which is what my average is.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:48 PM.

Page generated in 0.09173 seconds with 9 queries