Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-31-2012, 02:43 PM

True Professionals Don't Mind Lowballers and Novices

You hear it all the time, or at least I do...

"I'm sick and tired of the lowballers and scrubs ruining everything. They underbid me and they drive the price down and I can't compete."

You can do one of two things here.... you can get angry (which most lawn & landscape business owners do) or you can get BETTER!

Take the opportunity to truly separate yourself and your business from the "here-today-gone-tomorrow" guys working for beer money. Create scripts and marketing pieces that show the clear difference between you and the people who are not serious about this profession.

Explain why people should hire you. Describe the benefits of doing business with you. Show why you are different and clearly better. Don't assume or take for granted that a potential client can see the differences. This is your job - educate them, make it clear.

It will pay off.

To read this blog post and more like it go HERE
Old 12-31-2012, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Well put i have a younger company, but growing in leaps and bounds. I would be one of the higher priced company's in my area. But I get more work then my employees and I can handle. Because i am always willing to go that extra mile with everything, and don't be afraid to socialize with your customers, that is how you build relationships and the word spreads fast through the community friends and family. Always follow up with your customers to see if they are satisfied and if they are not fix it right away. It shows you care about them and there property. I have never really asked what others are charging but i have been told im a little higher but the work they receive is worth it. For mowing trimming so on i charge $1 min. pressure washing $2 linear Foot single story and so on.....
Old 01-01-2013, 07:04 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

A lot of people need lowballers becuz they can't give the lawn a priority level that is going to cost them hundreds of dollars a month... I remember starting out as a teenager and little old ladies needed their lawns mowed... I knew that these type of jobs were always going to be low priced in comparison to those people that had an interest in their grass and wanted to be the best in the neighborhood...

The thing is,,, you really have to be good to set yourself apart from the herd... those who whine about how,,, "It's everybody else's fault...",,, generally have that excuse for everything... striving for excellence isn't as much fun as bashing other people becuz they're not like you...

Good Post...
Old 01-01-2013, 12:05 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

i take pride in being different from everyone else because everyone else is weird to me.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm known for quality, not price. I like it when a "lowballer" cut's a yard right beside mine. You can see the difference.
All Echo hand helds
<- That's how I feel at the end of the day.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:33 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I just now spent way too much time worrying about the competition.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsslawncare View Post
I'm known for quality, not price. I like it when a "lowballer" cut's a yard right beside mine. You can see the difference.
Do you then put a sign between the lawns with your logo that says "<Mine and Theirs>" ??
Old 01-01-2013, 02:22 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

personally i ignore my competition completely. whether its novices, low ballers, or another professional.

i focus my time and energy on my business. set my prices where i need them to make a profit for me. put out the kind of quality i need to maintain the kind of clients who hire me.

i don't care what joe's lawn is charging down the street. i don't care how ed's turf is doing things. i'm not concerned with what kind of quality pro man is putting out.

what matters to me is what yardguy is charging, what kind of quality yardguy is giving.

i don't compete with the others. meaning i don't negotiate price or quality of work. if someone gets an estimate, it is what is. it does no good to tell me what the other guys gave you for estimates. i'll simply tell you to hire them then. i've had that happen i can't tell you how many times. i give an estimate, they think on it and i get a call telling me they found so and so to do it for this much. i tell them, well, hire them then. chances are they really didn't find someone with that price but i don't negotiate price or quality.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:56 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
personally i ignore my competition completely. whether its novices, low ballers, or another professional.

i focus my time and energy on my business. set my prices where i need them to make a profit for me. put out the kind of quality i need to maintain the kind of clients who hire me.

i don't care what joe's lawn is charging down the street. i don't care how ed's turf is doing things. i'm not concerned with what kind of quality pro man is putting out.

what matters to me is what yardguy is charging, what kind of quality yardguy is giving.

i don't compete with the others. meaning i don't negotiate price or quality of work. if someone gets an estimate, it is what is. it does no good to tell me what the other guys gave you for estimates. i'll simply tell you to hire them then. i've had that happen i can't tell you how many times. i give an estimate, they think on it and i get a call telling me they found so and so to do it for this much. i tell them, well, hire them then. chances are they really didn't find someone with that price but i don't negotiate price or quality.
this is the right way to do things. i agree 100%.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:37 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I've lost jobs over $1 a cut because I won't budge on my price.