Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-31-2012, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I liked all of the ones posted so far. Please check mine out!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ideal-...8406310?ref=hl
Old 12-31-2012, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Member

https://www.facebook.com/strick.scapes
Great idea! Thank you Grasshopper
Old 12-31-2012, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Yeah I get it, I appreciate what is going on too, it's not about being old fashioned or whether I have a FB page or not, it's that I consider this type of behavior spamming and that isn't something I want to associate myself with so if my customers don't want to like my page so be it because I'll die of hunger before I lower myself to these standards.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Member

http://www.facebook.com/KOContracting
Old 12-31-2012, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
Yeah I get it, I appreciate what is going on too, it's not about being old fashioned or whether I have a FB page or not, it's that I consider this type of behavior spamming and that isn't something I want to associate myself with so if my customers don't want to like my page so be it because I'll die of hunger before I lower myself to these standards.
Peers likeing your facebook page is "spam" and "lower standards"? Not sure I follow...
Old 01-01-2013, 01:45 AM
LawnSite Member

I don't personally think of it as "spamming". The way I am doing this is I go and check out the page and see what it looks like and check out the pics and see how the work looks and if I like then I click. If I don't really like or care for it i go on and I hope others treat my page the same way. I see it more as a hand up not a hand out.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:51 AM
LawnSite Member

Well it certainly isn't spamming, that word doesn't make any sense.

And the guys that are saying it's a dumb idea are clearly not on facebook. If a page "likes" another page, the likes don't go up. It just shows up on your page that you liked it.

When I use my page to like thing's, it's for company's that I buy equipment from so people see I use good equipment and I get updates from those companies.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
Yeah I get it, I appreciate what is going on too
Now we're talkin'!
Quote:
it's not about being old fashioned or whether I have a FB page or not, it's that I consider this type of behavior spamming and that isn't something I want to associate myself with so if my customers don't want to like my page so be it because I'll die of hunger before I lower myself to these standards.
Uh-oh... This completely contradicts your opening comment. Not only is it not "spammy", it's 100% opt-in.

It reads a bit dramatic, so I would have to guess there's some misunderstanding as to what's going on here. "I'll die of hunger before I lower myself to these standards." is not only overly dramatic, but it implies every other person here is doing something wrong, which is in no way the case. What do you think is occurring here that leads you to your conclusion?

Here's what is happening: As a courtesy, the businesses are liking each other's Page. The result? People will see that X number of people/businesses have liked a Page. If it does anything, it might kick-start a herd mentality in that "Hey, 12 Likes for this Page? Cool, I guess I'll Like it, too.". That's pretty much the sum gain. There is very little SEO benefit here, there is no spamming, there is no gaming of anything. It actually accomplishes very, very little. Search Engines do use Likes as a signal, but it's so low as to be inconsequential. For this, you can actually blame spammer abuse. SEO-wise, there are 100 other things people should concentrate on before getting to Likes on their list of things to accomplish.

When I read the OPs initial post, a topic that comes up on Lawnsite frequently enough (Here's my FB Page, please like it.), I was wondering if anyone would follow up his "Hey let's help each other out by liking each others page on facebook" with the simple question of "How does that help each other out?". To me, the biggest gain is idea sharing of how people are marketing their own Pages.

In the web sub-forum, I started a New Year's Resolution thread that partially addresses Facebook marketing.

Last edited by tonygreek; 01-01-2013 at 09:42 AM.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:36 AM
LawnSite Member

I like the idea. Started my page last month, check me out http://www.facebook.com/bladesofgrasslawncare

Property Grounds Maintenance
Old 01-01-2013, 01:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i tried the facebook business page as well as changed my personal one to a business page last year. i had like 1000 friends or something by adding random people that lived in my city. guess what? i never got one single customer from it. i deleted both pages. lol