Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-31-2012, 12:01 AM
LawnSite Member

With CRA's being received on a regular basis, i wonder if some of those who have retained an attorney can let the rest of us know how that is going. Have your attorneys gotten any concessions from DuPont regarding the terms and conditions that are included in the CRA's? Are you seeing that DuPont appears more responsive to your attorneys or are they having the same communication roadblocks that we are getting directly from DuPont?

The attorneys that I have talked to tell you that they have a relationship with DuPont, so DuPont is more responsive to them. However, when I ask for some details, they seem reluctant to discuss an actual case history on a claim. I have not seen any comments on this forum of what the attorneys have accomplished for them. Are there any concrete benefits that have been realized by using an attorney? Any comments would be appreciated.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

PapaD, most will be reluctant to disclose to the public the proceedings of actual cases except what has been issued to the public such as our damage (which is visibly seen by the public everyday) and reports issued by news agencies, scientific studies and such. However, if someone's case goes all the way to a court verdict then I understand the media can make public all the public records of what was brought to light in court. Settlements usually come with strict hush rules. I'm speaking in general as far as my understanding. I'm not an attorney.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:14 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRHAMMONS View Post
Last week one of my customers received a revised offer that we had requested, no revisit by Davey, two others received a revisit for reevaluation. Customer signed and returned the revised offer. I will keep everyone updated on how long it takes to receive payment.
In the only other specific Imprelis claim I am personally aware of, Dupont did accept the counter proposal that included paying the claimant directly for tree removal as opposed to paying the service provider. As of about a month after his acceptance, he had not received payment and he's been away for a while so I have not had the opporunity to talk to him since. He was being told six weeks... hopefully he has already seen a check. I'll update as soon as I can.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:57 PM
LawnSite Member

[QUOTE=Starbuy;4628140]Was DuPont willing to change the rating on any tree that had gotten worse that they had previously rated? Did they offer any additional compensation for loss of property value or for full soil remediation wherever Imprelis was applied (since it's been widely reported by scientists that it can migrate and hinder growth of newly planted trees and shrubs)? Thanks for your updates![/QUOT

Yes they did change the rating from a 2 to a 5 and they did compensate for the value of the tree and an additional amount for removal because the tree had fell and was cut up, also increased the overall percentages too.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't understand why you people are waiting on a settlement from Dupont? They are going to do everything they can to minimize their exposure on this. I would be suing and probably winning.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:45 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrostis View Post
I don't understand why you people are waiting on a settlement from Dupont? They are going to do everything they can to minimize their exposure on this. I would be suing and probably winning.
Not sure I understand your thinking. We will have to wait for Dupont whether we end up in court or not. As a matter of fact, I'm weighing the option of hiring an attorney. I actually expect my timeline for a resolution to increase if I decide to go the court route. My final determination on hiring a lawyer will be based on whether I can come out ahead after paying the legal fees. Unfortunately, to date, they either don't want to take the case or don't call me back. Over three weeks of calls has lead me to the conclusion that I am no more important to attorneys than I am to Dupont.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:46 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrostis View Post
At this time, there is no evidence that those who have chosen to retain an attorney are any better off than those who are still dealing directly with DuPont. That is why I previously asked if those who have an attorney could provide the rest of us with some information regarding their status that would give us some impetus to retain an attorney. So far, I have not seen any response that would make me think that they have improved their status by retaining an attorney.

My understanding is that the attorneys are getting 35% and more off the top. And you are paying expenses, such as their arborist, out of your share. If that is correct, why rush to an attorney now, when I can wait to see what DuPont offers and then make the decision.

Another question - when the proposed settlement of the class action suit is approved, will those who have an attorney and are suing separately have the option of participating in that settlement? If they do, what happens to their separate attorney regarding legal fees and expenses? If they do not have that option, their road to getting paid could get even longer.

All in all, even with the frustrations of dealing with DuPont, I prefer to keep open as many options as I can, especially when there does not appear to be any immediate benefit for me to retain an attorney at this time.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

PapaD, I did the same thing and waiting to see what DuPont's offer was going to be and then decided I was better off hiring legal help even with paying fees due to way more damage and future unknowns. Each case is different. You can only receive so much help on a public forum like this. I'm sorry I can't give you more specifics. Maybe you'll be satisfied with Duponts offer and won't need an attorney.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiman View Post
Not sure I understand your thinking. We will have to wait for Dupont whether we end up in court or not. As a matter of fact, I'm weighing the option of hiring an attorney. I actually expect my timeline for a resolution to increase if I decide to go the court route. My final determination on hiring a lawyer will be based on whether I can come out ahead after paying the legal fees. Unfortunately, to date, they either don't want to take the case or don't call me back. Over three weeks of calls has lead me to the conclusion that I am no more important to attorneys than I am to Dupont.
I am just going by what i'm reading. I don't have imprellis damage so i don't know what's involved in all of this. I just wonder why you have to wait. Thank's for answering.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaD View Post
At this time, there is no evidence that those who have chosen to retain an attorney are any better off than those who are still dealing directly with DuPont. That is why I previously asked if those who have an attorney could provide the rest of us with some information regarding their status that would give us some impetus to retain an attorney. So far, I have not seen any response that would make me think that they have improved their status by retaining an attorney.

My understanding is that the attorneys are getting 35% and more off the top. And you are paying expenses, such as their arborist, out of your share. If that is correct, why rush to an attorney now, when I can wait to see what DuPont offers and then make the decision.

Another question - when the proposed settlement of the class action suit is approved, will those who have an attorney and are suing separately have the option of participating in that settlement? If they do, what happens to their separate attorney regarding legal fees and expenses? If they do not have that option, their road to getting paid could get even longer.

All in all, even with the frustrations of dealing with DuPont, I prefer to keep open as many options as I can, especially when there does not appear to be any immediate benefit for me to retain an attorney at this time.
I understand. Thank's for answering.