Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-31-2012, 11:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've done gabion baskets, there no fun!! They are very labor intensive, make sure you rent a air gun to hog tie ring the basket together, that will help speed up quite a bit. We always place the stone into the basket with an excavator or I've used a backhoe, then hand place to fill in the voids and like someone mention you'll have to cross tie them in 1/3rd intervals or halfs. Small crow bar will become your labors favorite tool to pook rocks into place and help close the baskets together. I'm surprised they call out #57s that have to be compacted, we always backfill with gabion rock so you don't have to compact between the wall and dirt slope, cut the slope as tight as you can so it don't eat up to much backfill.

I'm sure a Cat 304 will work but I've never used anything small than a 308 or Kom PC88. You don't want to much machine as you want to beable to place the bucket down into the basket. We always dipped the rock out a rock box on a trailer or out of the back of Tri-axle. This will help save on rock and not get mud into the baskets and leave alot cleanier jobsite.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Old 12-31-2012, 03:42 PM
LawnSite Member

I did on Gabion basket wall job, for a damn spill way. Used my kobelco 135sr to set and fill baskets. Used a Takeuchi TL130 to fill a bedding box (or stone boat) and dug the 4"-8" limestone out from there. I think we built 23 baskets of varying sizes,
3◊3◊12 / 3◊3◊9 / 3◊3◊6....if memory serves me correct, it took about 45 minutes for one guy to build one basket. We set the baskets and filled them in about 2 days time, with2 laborers and 2 operators. But I was working from above the baskets. We had a Geo-textile fabric behind the baskets. We then poured 26 yards of concrete (flowable fill?) behind the baskets and filter cloth to to fill in the gaps behind the wall where we could not get the baskets tight to the vertical areas under the spill way.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
I have done some work with them, last time was 25 years back i think. it boils down to a lot of hand work.

Gabions used to come in pieces and you assembled them with no.9 galv wire.

The cobble had to be hand sorted and placed where there was basicaly no voids.

I would use a demo hammer with a rod driver to put the 7/8" steel in.

The hand labor can be the killer.

If you have any inspections/inspectors they can make or break these jobs.

I dont remember what size we used offhand
Posted via Mobile Device
we used excavators to put rock down by the baskets and then hand placed the rock. very high labor. have to put the baskets together by hand. also used #9 wire to tie together. like you said the inspectors can make it a very long and unpleasant job. we usually did well on these jobs because nobody likes doing them
Old 12-31-2012, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by icex View Post

Put some money in for fishing gear and beers for you and the workers.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Will you be building a temporary barrier to divert the water flow away from the work area?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-31-2012, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrayzKajun View Post
Will you be building a temporary barrier to divert the water flow away from the work area?
Posted via Mobile Device
Yes, or we may rent a 2500gpm pump, damn it up and divert the creek down stream 50 foot away from the work area.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:08 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Will the engineer allow you to pump that much water as apposed to building a temporary stream by pass? What time of the year will the work be done? I would recommend building some type of rock/bedding box to place the material in to save on spoils .
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-01-2013, 11:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_S_S View Post
Will the engineer allow you to pump that much water as apposed to building a temporary stream by pass? What time of the year will the work be done? I would recommend building some type of rock/bedding box to place the material in to save on spoils .
Posted via Mobile Device
The engineer isent going to be watching the project. I am looking into differnt ways to divert the water instead of pumping it, such as berming up the soil already blocking the creek more.

As far as when the work will be done, I am not sure as it is a insurance job.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:50 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

haven't read the entire thread but I did oversee several gabion installations in the 90's while working for a utility. The Corp of Engineers stopped us from installing them in stream beds. Said they trap fingerlings and made us switch to large natural (to the area of restoration) rock. Costs of materials was higher but labor was lower. As far as diverting stream flows, pumping was a last resort due to displacement of sediments. The Corp much preferred diverting the flows to a narrower channel. We utilized cloth and rock for stream diversions.