Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-01-2013, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The learning curve was steep for a few eployee's some not all
1.They didnt want to change from punching the time clock at the shop in the morning to punching out at the end of the day.
2. They wanted to "just get the work done" vs entering notes, completing assesments or entering parts
3. Why could we just keep using paper work orders and I dont know how to run a computer

I did training, gave grace periods etc I should have fired the problems employee's that didnt fall in line
Looking back it was my fault for not making a clean break and haveing a crystal clear policy for use of hindsite.

If you cannot accuratly account for all the time each employee works for you they are stealing from you and costing you money!
Some on lanwsite may disagree with my idea and will try to rationalize it in some off the wall way but in the end it is stealing your money your time. So when I run a timesheet and there are more than 10 -15 min of unaccounted for time they are in the office for a sit down.
I wrestled with this problem way to long and tried to "work through" the problems. So after you work with hindsite for a period of time develope a policy for your team that is crystal clear. If they can run a trencher, wire a controller, sodder copper, hindsite is a breeze.

On a different note purchase mappoint for hindsite. I like using it for cordinates when I file a locate for utilities. It also works good for routing, when I added an officer person she had to help with scheduling and had no clue where jobs/clients where at.

These are just my experinces, along with trying to pass that tribal knowledge along.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmatic View Post
The learning curve was steep for a few eployee's some not all
1.They didnt want to change from punching the time clock at the shop in the morning to punching out at the end of the day.
2. They wanted to "just get the work done" vs entering notes, completing assesments or entering parts
3. Why could we just keep using paper work orders and I dont know how to run a computer

I did training, gave grace periods etc I should have fired the problems employee's that didnt fall in line
Looking back it was my fault for not making a clean break and haveing a crystal clear policy for use of hindsite.

If you cannot accuratly account for all the time each employee works for you they are stealing from you and costing you money!
Some on lanwsite may disagree with my idea and will try to rationalize it in some off the wall way but in the end it is stealing your money your time. So when I run a timesheet and there are more than 10 -15 min of unaccounted for time they are in the office for a sit down.
I wrestled with this problem way to long and tried to "work through" the problems. So after you work with hindsite for a period of time develope a policy for your team that is crystal clear. If they can run a trencher, wire a controller, sodder copper, hindsite is a breeze.

On a different note purchase mappoint for hindsite. I like using it for cordinates when I file a locate for utilities. It also works good for routing, when I added an officer person she had to help with scheduling and had no clue where jobs/clients where at.

These are just my experinces, along with trying to pass that tribal knowledge along.

Does hindsite track time on the job and wages for piecemeal?
Old 01-01-2013, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, and Yes
Old 01-01-2013, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I will put that on my list of items to review close.
I have hindsite, Real Green and clip
Old 01-02-2013, 11:51 PM
LawnSite Member

I am about halfway through the training for Hindsite and it seems to be clarifying the way I have billed for years but with some flexibility for those odd, different situations, so its not really different at all, just more organized.

I have been a compulsive list maker for all of my life. For the last several years my office guru has been trying to get me out of that , if for nothing more than to save a tree. I do keep strategic notes and can usually find them after some searching desk tops and cork boards but Hindsite will really help in this.

I picked up a new customer today who fired her last company because he continually billed her for two techs on a one man job. I felt confident enough to promise her that a one man job will always be billed for that. Obviously, I told her it was my organization's determination of how many people it took for certain operations, but with HS I should be able to flag her account so when creating a work order or invoice it will remind me of my promise to her.

I could go on and on about why I chose to try this but I guess the main reason is that every time I have tried new approaches, I always benefit.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmatic View Post
I may hold off on mappoint for now, but just playing with the mobile version on my laptop, and clicking on options, I can hit "MAP" and it immediately pulls up Mapquest and map directions to the address for that service call address. Of course that will only work if I have a constant internet connection/data plan.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

So far so good on the Hindsite. Bought two Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 devices for the employees. Doing some training with them next week.

Any of you using a remote access program like LogMeIn or GoToMyPC? I have my home office, and my in town office. I will have Hindsite and QB on one computer at the in town office with a static IP address. I want to be able to access that computer with my home laptop or my mobile device. Any opinions on a software program like that? I'm sure there are better programs for those that are serious techies, but I need one that is user friendly for a moderate techie, with the proper security within.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Member

I use Team Viewer. It is so much easier than the others I have used.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cppendergrast View Post
I use Team Viewer. It is so much easier than the others I have used.
I was recommended that one as well from a friend. I may have to try all of their 30 day free trials to compare.

how's the HS training going? I'm doing training with my two guys this week. One guy already understands 90% of what needs to be done. The other is still nervous as he is not much of a computer guy at all.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Member

I think, after a year, I'm still on the free version of Team V. Probably need to ante up with the increased volume I'm be remoting back with Hindsite and IQ.

Hindsite training is over in that we can go from creating a work order to spitting out an invoice. There are a lot of bells and whistles, site info and user defined info, that I am trying to get in. This is a point where, if my spread sheet skills were better, it would go faster. Mostly, its more related to how often my daughter, with her wealth of knowledge of excel, walks thru the office.

We just received the tablets for the trucks, waiting on the cases. I think Verizon has them hooked up so this coming week, with highs in Nashville = 35 deg./lows = 15 deg., we will probably spend some time with a tablet in each tech's hands.