Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-01-2013, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Member

John Deere 717 ztrack

Looking to buy a used John Deere or other mower. I talked someone into selling a 717 Deere for 2k. It's a 2007 with 600hrs. I could find any specs nor do I know much about this mower. I am looking for any input on price or any information about the mower. Thanks
Old 01-02-2013, 06:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have a 717A, with five seasons and 1850 service hours behind it. It is my first and only ZTR, so I don't have any reference with other similar machines.

It has been a very sound machine. I've changed belts one time, and not because one of them broke. I think I made the change at about 1,200 hours. I've changed the hydro filter every off-season (about 400 hours), and refilled with new 15W-40 Amsoil. Engine oil has been changed every 40 hours, filter every 80 hours, 30W Shell Rotella oil. The adjuster for the tension spring on the deck belt is not a good part. The tension bar vibrates when the deck engaged, and the small loop wore through quickly. I just replaced it with an eye-bolt, and that has been a good solution. Also, the tang on the tension bar broke this past season, and I rebuilt with a bolt. not a big repair at all. Two deck idler pulleys have worn the bearings, and have been replaced recently. I do a lube job every 20 hours.

I consider none of these repairs out of the ordinary, and should be expected. The only design flaw is the OEM adjuster for the tension spring.

The engine has remained strong, although a small oil leak has developed on the bottom end. I suspect it is an crank oil seal, and will be repaired before the 2013 season. The engine is as strong as the day it was new, starts well, runs with good power for a 19hp engine. Only when the machine is working in heavy grass, and traveling on an uphill path, do I need to cut back a bit as it is struggling.

In terms of quality of cut, it is superb. The 7Iron deck does a great job. It leaves a very smooth cut for my cool weather, northern grasses. I use standard OEM blades, and sharpen them about every six hours of operation. A bolt is an easy-off, easy-on procedure for changing blades. I keep the deflector on the discharge chute, and have it on a small chain attached to the end. A hook enables me to raise the deflector to full up position for transport on the trailer. But, just as important, it enables me to adjust the height at the tip for best clipping dispersal. Sometimes the tip is best in the full down position, other times, hooking it up an inch,or two at the tip works better. Working without the deflector, or with it in the full upright position, is not the best for good clipping cover.

In general, I am very pleased with the machine, and would by another if needed.

Questions? Ask.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-02-2013, 05:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrand View Post
Looking to buy a used John Deere or other mower. I talked someone into selling a 717 Deere for 2k. It's a 2007 with 600hrs. I could find any specs nor do I know much about this mower. I am looking for any input on price or any information about the mower. Thanks
2k for a 2007 717 with 600 is a good deal imo. I have two 727 which is the same machine but with a 23hp engine and 54" deck. They are great mowers. Very underrated machine and got overlooked because of the 737 or 757. They are lighter in weight and more compact than other mowers. I don't have as many hours on them as Roger's (around 800) but they are still using the original deck belt, tires, etc. Engines are great as well.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

600 hours is pretty low for a 2007. Seems like a good price! My 05' 757 has almost 3000 hours - and runs great. Ask if the owner has maintenance records.
05' JD F1445 Diesel 72"
13' Bobcat T650 CTL
08' Haulmax 24' Enclosed Trailer
11' JD JS 26 W.B.
12' BOSS 9.2 V-XT plow+Wings
Stihl hand held eq.
10' L.W. 13hp blower
13' Permagreen Triumph
WI certified pesticide applicator

Tags
john deere