Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-02-2013, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonsLawnCare1 View Post
i use my personal truck as my work truck. i mean that's what trucks were originally made for....to work. they weren't made to drive back and forth from a desk job each day while looking pretty going down the highway lol.

Exactly that is why we have to have trade plates on them now for cheaper registration. Used to be people bought trucks for work and it wasn't a question. Buy the truck drive it maintain it. Only thing I like is a good stereo but usually wait until stock speakers are shot to do that even.
00 chevy 3500 dump
03 dodge dakota
4 ferris wb
1 ferris ztr
2 exmark ztr
lesco spreader sprayer stand on
case 1845
western plows
Old 01-03-2013, 01:11 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstifel View Post
Exactly that is why we have to have trade plates on them now for cheaper registration. Used to be people bought trucks for work and it wasn't a question. Buy the truck drive it maintain it. Only thing I like is a good stereo but usually wait until stock speakers are shot to do that even.
trade plates, cheaper registration. must be a location thing.

my plates and registration cost the same whether I use the truck for business or personal use.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
trade plates, cheaper registration. must be a location thing.

my plates and registration cost the same whether I use the truck for business or personal use.
Your state has no commercial plates? That's very unusual. My truck's plates would be about $28 a year but I have commercial tags so it's closer to $200 a year.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Texas does not charge more for a light duty or medium duty truck.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyLot View Post
I just know my budget now I can afford about 10k cash for a used truck or trade in my vehicle an get a truck for about 20k I figure for 20k I could get a truck that's pretty realiable, an decent.
You can get a 99-02 Ford F250 with the 7.3 Diesel for around 10K. Great, reliable truck. Pay cash and have the good feeling of no truck payment. Truth be told, in THIS ECONOMY, if you have 10K in cash, you could probably buy a truck from a private seller listed at $14,000. Just show him the money and I betya he gives it up. Just food for thought. Newer/nice trucks are GREAT, but in 2-3 months the novelty wears off, and the payments are still there.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSK Property Maintenance View Post
They don't check out what kinda tires i have, but they do notice if my tires are looking a little worn out, or just a highway tread, vs. a more aggressive all terrain or mud terrain tire which is proven to be better in mud/snow/rain.

Around here questions regarding Insurance and who else you work for usually come up. Do your customers check out your blades on your mowers before you cut too?
Old 01-03-2013, 01:56 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

There is a slightly higher cost for commercial plates here over combination plates. But its no where near Richards numbers which in my opinion encourages dishonesty and averting the law. Here for a vehicle with a 10001-11000 gvw the registration is as follows for 12 months.

Commercial reg $137.60
Combination reg $134.60

They allow combination plates here up to 12,500 pounds so allot of the newer 350/3500s are over with the new weights of 13000 gvw. The thing that is sweet about the combination is they last 24 months and can expire when ever that 24 months is met. So any month of the entire year but the commercial reg all expire in April every year. You bought your truck in March great see you in a few weeks when its time to renew the reg. And they only pro rate the cost in 6 month increments. I got screwed on a trailer a few years back I missed 6 months and the lower rate by 3 or 4 days. So that was a nice 60-70 dollar hit but my times worth more then that so coming back later and dealing with all the lines again was not going to happen.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:07 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Your state has no commercial plates? That's very unusual. My truck's plates would be about $28 a year but I have commercial tags so it's closer to $200 a year.
they have commercial plates for certain vehicles but a pickup for an LCO is not one of them. even if all you use that truck for is business.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
they have commercial plates for certain vehicles but a pickup for an LCO is not one of them. even if all you use that truck for is business.
Some states even require US DOT numbers on ALL commercially used trucks with a GCWR of 10,001 pounds or more. All I had to have was commercial tags, no DOT numbers are required.

Old 01-03-2013, 05:02 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Some states even require US DOT numbers on ALL commercially used trucks with a GCWR of 10,001 pounds or more. All I had to have was commercial tags, no DOT numbers are required.
no commercial plates needed and no dot numbers unless your 26,000 lbs or more.

I don't have either.