Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-29-2012, 04:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The thing I have found with EOW, which I don't do anymore, don't have to, is that they want their lawn to look just as good as their neighbor's which is cut every week. A losing proposition for the LCO at any price when the grass is growing 2" or more per week.

You can't charge extra because it takes you twice as long to do the job because you have crappy or outmoded equipment.

And, if they don't pay, put a shovel upside their head.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
ELS:

Usually, they are EOW because they dont want to pay a lot. Adding squirt and fert won't fly because they don't want to pay for their lawn to begin with, so wont want to buy squirt and fert wither.

I dont mind EOW (I used) but there are usually enough of them these days that I can make a full route of EOWs for week 1 and a full route of EOWs for week 2, and I am just alternating, I put EOWs on the least favorable day of the week which is usually wednesdays (Mon/tues is commercials).

the ones I want to switch because I want to fill a normal route or having trouble with them, I do as explained above.

Since so many LCOs are trying to get away from EOWs, it seems there are plenty to pick up. A route is a route, I dont really care.

If you only have a few of them and they screw up your normal week (making a 7 hour tuesday into a 10 hour tuesday) then it screws up your who equilibrium and you actually end up paying OT for a cheap skate lawn, aint worth it. you might even want to trade them out to another guy who CAN make an alternating route (like me) of EOWs if they are choking you up.

One good thing about EOWs, they break up the monotony, you don't get the sense "gee i was JUST here mowing this place" because it's been TWO weeks since, and if you have an alternating route, it's always breaking up the pattern keeping things fresh, in my opinion.

Not to mention, to your competition, it makes you seem like you are "every where"
The OP mentioned some were squirt and fert people too. He is trying to convert to weekly but might drop is price to compensate. Instead of going weekly @ 30 vs EOW for 45.... he could work up a price to his liking and get rid of some of the weeds too. He could likely charge a little more but then charge based on 12 months so they are paying less than 90 per month.

I hate mowing weedy yards and then carry that on the mowers to my nice yards so it is something I am playing with for next season. I started a couple of clients on this program last year to see how it works.

EOW 17X 45 = 810
WK 34X 30 =1020

or $210 for 5 treatments

1020 / 12 = $85 a month.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:59 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks. I'm still trying to work on the pricing as to not scare or lost customers. I don't mind eow as long ad I schedule them evenly. I make it clear that te level of detail will not be te same as with weekly.

I have a few eow in the range of 35-45. These take less than 30 minutes each to do. Some are Fert and squirt also. I'm thinking of dropping the per cut price and offering weekly visits but may also consider a small increase if they want to stick with eow.

I'm really trying to improve my quality o services.

Many of these eow are seasonal and only get cut march-October. I could easily offer them a 12 month pricing with the understanding that some months we will not come at all. I fear early cancellation and collection problems with that. I also find that most people only like to pay when services are being Provided.
Posted via Mobile Device