Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-01-2013, 11:01 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
You made it sound like you pulled numbers out of your hat. Now you have a system. Frankly, I do not own wheel either...
I own a wheel, we used it for marking athletic fields, now it takes up space in the garage.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
So you would go around with a magic wheel and measure 17 acres to get the exact Sq. footage? 1/2 acre or less this might work, anything larger than that and you're wasting time getting exact dimensions IMHO.
You have no arguement,17 acres is not a lawn,its a field. And step up to the new school.Google earth pro can measure Africa down to the ft!
Old 01-01-2013, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
So you would go around with a magic wheel and measure 17 acres to get the exact Sq. footage? 1/2 acre or less this might work, anything larger than that and you're wasting time getting exact dimensions IMHO.
And to further my point I can measure 17 acres in about 25 sec's and four clicks of a mouse.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSO LAWNEN4CER View Post
And to further my point I can measure 17 acres in about 25 sec's and four clicks of a mouse.
I use tax records and google earth often. I tried that I go lawn thing but did not like it. My computer was dying and GE Pro would not run well. I am going to give it another spin once I am done setting up the new PC
Old 01-02-2013, 07:02 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
You have no arguement,17 acres is not a lawn,its a field. And step up to the new school.Google earth pro can measure Africa down to the ft!
So what's your price to mow 2 acres since that is the average "lawn" size in my area? Google Earth is a great tool that I use as well, but it never compensates for tree canopies over lawns, obsticles, terrain type, ground type, areas which may hold water.... all of these things can't be done by a computer. So going back, no two sets of properties will be the same based on these factors. As I stated earlier maybe on cookie cutter lots or subdivisions you could use sq ft as a price guide. You stick to your methods and I'll use mine, they've worked this long.....
Old 01-02-2013, 09:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
So what's your price to mow 2 acres since that is the average "lawn" size in my area? Google Earth is a great tool that I use as well, but it never compensates for tree canopies over lawns, obsticles, terrain type, ground type, areas which may hold water.... all of these things can't be done by a computer. So going back, no two sets of properties will be the same based on these factors. As I stated earlier maybe on cookie cutter lots or subdivisions you could use sq ft as a price guide. You stick to your methods and I'll use mine, they've worked this long.....
Unless it is a track site in an area you know well then site visits are a must. However, commerical sites and estate lawns can be deceptive in size and I like to measure them with google or have some sort of tax info on the site before I visit it.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Here's how it works! You get a call from a lead, soon to be customer. You get the basics of what they want, and what day is good to come by.They give your the Address. Using the Address, you go to Google earth and measure the property.This gives you a good idea of a ballpark price.Going by my price guide. You show up to customers home,look over the property and give a final price.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Here's how it works! You get a call from a lead, soon to be customer. You get the basics of what they want, and what day is good to come by.They give your the Address. Using the Address, you go to Google earth and measure the property.This gives you a good idea of a ballpark price.Going by my price guide. You show up to customers home,look over the property and give a final price.
Exactly what I do. I also use online tax records and search the small claims site before even showing up on the property. If they have a bunch of claims against them it's a good indication that they don't pay their bills.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:55 AM
LawnSite Member

I get the property measurement from tax records and give them a price within 2 minutes. Quick call back or sometimes we can do it on the fly during the phone call.
They aprove the price, give me credit card, I tell them the mowing day they will be on and take their gate code if applicable.
They sign a policies and procedures letter but no contract at all.
I have a new customer within 3-5 minutes. Never met them or went out to the property.

Has worked great since 2005.

Most LCO's in my neck of the woods use this method.

Whole buncha crud
Old 02-09-2013, 02:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
So Jrs landscaping, why don't you sure your pricing method for a 2 acre property of your area. Say its pretty flat terrain, 1 or 2 small landscape beds in back yard, very few trees, and pretty open.

What is your method and give us a price$?