The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-03-2013, 03:42 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELS Landscape View Post
Tony,
Thank you for the reply.

I have used the tool and it is helpful but as far as I know the regional setting is for North America and they do not offer results based on city or state. In other words, country is about as granular as the tool gets.

I will double check this as I have not investigated this since last winter.
I think you're over-thinking what Im saying. I'm not referring to any of the hard settings. I'm saying it's no more than simply inputting the keywords no differently than a potential customer would search Google itself. The locations are keywords.

- In standard Google search, a customer might search: lawn service grand prairie, tx

- In Adwords keyword tool, you would search for the same to try to ballpark volume: lawn service grand prairie, tx

Just search for whatever combinations you want and pay attention to exact match vs broad. Like with search, you essentially want results for "lawn service" AND "grand prairie, tx" not the open lawn service and grand prairie, tx which will bring back all possibilities.

Tangent Time!
As a bit of fine print, the idea that we still have to manually add a location in Adwords keyword tool is a bit silly. Adwords can go granular in targeting, but in keyword traffic estimating, we don't get that, even though they could simply turn that particular hose on. There is also the issue that the estimating likely doesn't include the default, location-based search we now use (or does it?). Google knows where we are searching from, limiting the need for me to search "lawn service columbus, ohio". I can just search "lawn service" and I automatically get the results I want. My data shows the vast majority of people still reflexively type in a location, but Google should allow their location-based search data to carry over into the Adwords keyword tool.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

People have to insert city state if they want to find local services. Not sure if it is reflexive or not.

That is when the google places seems to kick in. Anymore word on that?
I am still setting up my new PC then it is time to hack on the new sites. Going to work on a name change and rebrand this year.

It took me 3 hours yesterday to set up a 2006 Oki Data LED Network printer on Windows 7 64 bit. Now I am wiping out the old hard drive. Setting up quickbooks in multi-user mode on the network and other fun stuff.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:20 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELS Landscape View Post
People have to insert city state if they want to find local services.
Not at all. Hit Google and type in dentist, lawn service, whatever. You'll find a blend of the most relevant broad (national) results, as well as local-to-you results, and the Google Local/Places/+ pack results.

I just searched only the word "dentist" and received the following results:

1. Wikipedia entry
2. local dentist office
The 7-Pack of Local results
3. a .gov site
4. 1800Dentist
5. Delta Dental
6. local dentist office
7. local dentist office

Now, if you want to change your default location, and pretend to be searching via, say, Los Angeles, Google now gives the option to change your default search location by clicking the menu option of "Search Tools" (it's in the sub menu, under the search box, next to Web - Images - Maps - Shopping - Blogs - More - Search Tools").
Quote:
Not sure if it is reflexive or not.
We're conditioned to search that way, so I'd say it's now more reflexive than anything. I still do it, even though I know it's not entirely necessary (to me, it's a results trust issue that I have and not really the problem of Google, per se.).

Quote:
That is when the google places seems to kick in.
Yep, this also occurs, but it's not the exclusive way local results are served, per the above results.

This would be a great discussion in the web forum since we've veered a bit. lol
Old 01-03-2013, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I like the Ever Green Lawn Care name. Express- reminds me too much of speed - or being too quik.
05' JD F1445 Diesel 72"
13' Bobcat T650 CTL
08' Haulmax 24' Enclosed Trailer
11' JD JS 26 W.B.
12' BOSS 9.2 V-XT plow+Wings
Stihl hand held eq.
10' L.W. 13hp blower
13' Permagreen Triumph
WI certified pesticide applicator
Old 01-04-2013, 06:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek View Post
Not at all. Hit Google and type in dentist, lawn service, whatever. You'll find a blend of the most relevant broad (national) results, as well as local-to-you results, and the Google Local/Places/+ pack results.

I just searched only the word "dentist" and received the following results:

1. Wikipedia entry
2. local dentist office
The 7-Pack of Local results
3. a .gov site
4. 1800Dentist
5. Delta Dental
6. local dentist office
7. local dentist office

Now, if you want to change your default location, and pretend to be searching via, say, Los Angeles, Google now gives the option to change your default search location by clicking the menu option of "Search Tools" (it's in the sub menu, under the search box, next to Web - Images - Maps - Shopping - Blogs - More - Search Tools").

We're conditioned to search that way, so I'd say it's now more reflexive than anything. I still do it, even though I know it's not entirely necessary (to me, it's a results trust issue that I have and not really the problem of Google, per se.).

Yep, this also occurs, but it's not the exclusive way local results are served, per the above results.

This would be a great discussion in the web forum since we've veered a bit. lol
Sorry to the OP. Yes Tony, I see Thanks again. I have not done any serious SEO reseach since 2005
Old 01-04-2013, 07:41 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

My vote is for ever green. Sounds really fluent
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-04-2013, 06:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotts lawn care View Post
I like the Ever Green Lawn Care name. Express- reminds me too much of speed - or being too quik.
I am adding fert&squirt to my business that is why im renaming it. Express green was my favorite of the bunch because I can get any domain name I want for it and I thought of Expressly greening your lawn.