Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-03-2013, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

personally I like the striped look better. guys in my neck of the woods tend to mow the same way all the time to get the most pronounced stripes.

I prefer to alternate patterns because as you said the grass stands up straighter. and it will aid in rutting. there might be shallow ruts that can't be seen with the naked eye but not the deep ruts you get with mowing the same direction week after week after week.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I alternate stripes-look close, you'll see 3 different patterns.
Attached Images

Old 01-03-2013, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

why not the 4th pattern?
Old 01-04-2013, 09:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Nice pic, that place looks sharp, I love the ones where you can roll off the edge, so the lines go right to the end(no always possible), nice trimming on the edges too, keep it up. I love the look of alternating lines, like yours when they are still partially visible from before. I like making parrallelagrams, where you go up and down/side to side and then on a diagonal, not a checkerbord or diamond, its a liitle different, but every house looks better a certian way, and what works on one way not work on another.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:55 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groomer View Post
I alternate stripes-look close, you'll see 3 different patterns.
If you look closely at my first pic you can see where I had run up and down the lawn previously. I am careful about not rutting lawns too, even my own.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:58 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
why not the 4th pattern?
fourth would go across, following the house, and would be the pattern for the next visit.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:02 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locallawncare.ca View Post
Nice pic, that place looks sharp, I love the ones where you can roll off the edge, so the lines go right to the end(no always possible), nice trimming on the edges too, keep it up. I love the look of alternating lines, like yours when they are still partially visible from before. I like making parrallelagrams, where you go up and down/side to side and then on a diagonal, not a checkerbord or diamond, its a liitle different, but every house looks better a certian way, and what works on one way not work on another.
thanks. I use a tanaka edger. That property is a nice corner lot, and sometimes I even throw a big curve in it. It's wide open, no fences, and fun to cut.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:43 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locallawncare.ca View Post
i know some will roll off the edge so the lines go right to the end but i personally do not practice this.

i avoid turning on hard surfaces whenever possible. its always 2 laps around the perimeter and then my rows.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Im almost the opposite, i try to turn around off the lawn, sometimes you can frame it in after, but whatever works, also sometimes the edges are too high and the tires make a divit when you roll off/on, but that pic sure looks nice.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Funny how everyone cut's a little different. Whatever works! I've always taught my guys to use a drive or a walk for turning whenever possible, why tear turf if you don't have to? (think springtime with wet conditions.)
Attached Images