Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-03-2013, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-03-2013, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Ok. I will have some time tomorrow and will flip it on it's back. I will measure the distance from the underside ok deck to top of blade just see if there is any obvious discrepancies. Then I will let it down and check for any bent blades. I hope I don't have a bent spindle and its just a blade or the pitch. Thanks for the help.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-04-2013, 02:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Best way to check for spindle play is when the blade is ON and the drive belt is OFF. Check for wobble by wiggling blade up and down at the tips while keeping an eye on the bottom of the spindle.
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 01-04-2013, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCR840 View Post
Ok. I will have some time tomorrow and will flip it on it's back. I will measure the distance from the underside ok deck to top of blade just see if there is any obvious discrepancies. Then I will let it down and check for any bent blades. I hope I don't have a bent spindle and its just a blade or the pitch. Thanks for the help.
Posted via Mobile Device
I haven't see a bent spindle or bent shell yet on a turbo-force deck.
I've seen blds bend or break. Had one that actually folded the spindle pulley from an impact. Just make sure all the pivot bolts are tight. I feel your problem is more the side side than anything else. Of course, you're mowing at full throttle, and rpm's are at 3750?
Old 01-04-2013, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Well I got a chance to do some measuring tonight. I lifted the mower and checked spindles and they are good. They had no wobble and no unusual difference in my measurments between each blade.
Then I removed the old blades and checked them on my Magna-Matic, they were fairly straight, but out of balance. I went ahead and balanced my new blades and put them on. I checked the side to side measurement, it was a tad more than 1/4" off. So I adjusted the tire pressure and u-plate. It is now less than 1/16" off. Next I checked the pitch on all blades and it was already at 1/8" lower in the front. The manual says it needs 1/4". I think I will follow it and see what it does. I will have to test it in the morning on my yard first and let you guys know my results. Thank all you for your help. If this works it shows me that these things are very sensitive to any difference in either side.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-04-2013, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Member

I was going to adjust the entire deck height because it measures 2.5" when it is set at 3". The manual diagram is a little different than what my 2010 model has. I can't get a wrench or a socket around the jam nut to loosen it. Anyone with a grandstand figured it out?
Posted via Mobile Device