Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-04-2013, 07:52 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

is it to early for doorhangers promoting crabgrass pre-emergent?

i'm in georgia, i know most of the big companies are soon to be out there spraying again.. I start my round 1's in feb. I am wondering if its a waste of time to start putting out doorhangers now? even though it would seem to me to be the right time to do it, i'm not sure how many people would pay attention to a lawn care flyer in january? i'm considering holding off till around first week in february.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not sure about Georgia, but up here, it's a waste of time to put out flyers if people aren't thinking about lawncare. Thy are most affective when people are thinking about how their lawn is going to get cut and taken care of. Apply that to your own season as I don't know when people start mowing and such in your area
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-04-2013, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i think its a waste of time right now anyway, mowing is still a ways off.. but really just marketing the chem apps.. i have the time to distribute now, i will have time in the spring too. I had planned to get out today.. but thinking i'm gonna wait till either we get a good week of warmer weather in feb.. or I start getting the competitors mailers in my mailbox.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I'm in North Carolina. Direct mailers should arrive in homes around January 20. Round 1 starts mid Feburary.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-04-2013, 10:22 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

thats about how it is here. when i was at trugreen we started round 1's most of the time at 2nd or 3rd week in january. not sure what they are doing now, all my old co-workers are still laid off waiting to go back to work.. (this is the first year they have done the seasonal layoffs in atlanta) i may try to see if they want to make some extra money helping me pass out flyers.. lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmasterswilson View Post
I'm in North Carolina. Direct mailers should arrive in homes around January 20. Round 1 starts mid Feburary.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-04-2013, 11:19 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

My opinion, early is fine, if you are passing them out by hand door to door. Later when the post office is doing the work...sure, send them out at the proper time...about the time Scotts starts advertising on TV, reminding people about law care and crabgrass. You might want to include an early bird coupon as an incentive for calling during January. Why coupons--because they work--there are thousands distributed every week and thousands more online. For early sales, include some kind of extra or freebie. Discount, grass seed, flower bulb (like gladiolus), flower seed, mole-chasing windmill--whatever.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

No. It's never a bad time for self promotion. There are good better and best times but no bad time and if you aren't doing anything go throw down a few hundred a day at least. Can't hurt.

I know sittin here talkin to me aint getting you any customers. Or is it?

Where do you service in GA? North Atlanta - Duluth by chance?
Old 01-04-2013, 11:54 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

being on here is definetly not helping, i agree there.. lol. but in my defense, i am sitting here trying to put together letter of introduction, so i can target yards that i know have a service doing it, targeting yards that are getting "half assed" these are yards that i've noticed with the trugreen, scotts sign, or other company. these are yards that have been loaded with fescue clumps all year (mostly bermuda here), have poa and henbit comming up in places despite having fall pre-emergents. there are plenty of yards like this, trugreen here for the most part is still piss poor as well as scotts.. lucky for me. This is gonna be something i can do everyday, as i am in business part time, and a stay at home dad the rest. i can drive around with my 2 year old and compile a list, with the address and a few things about the yard... I look them up on white pages and write up a nice letter. I only did this a few times last year, not nearly enough to get a response... but i'm gonna try many more per week and see what happens. I've already got me a nice size list going. I plan to follow up with postcard to the same addresses regularly.

I'm in Cobb/Paulding area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadzilla View Post

I know sittin here talkin to me aint getting you any customers. Or is it?

Where do you service in GA? North Atlanta - Duluth by chance?
Old 01-04-2013, 01:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I thought about taking my son with me as i pass out door hangers (when we start getting warmer weather). thought about just pulling him around in his wagon. most of the neighborhoods i go in here have sidewalks. He is two and he loves to smile and say "hey there" to everybody he sees.. lol. Of course these paranoid jackasses around here would still think i'm casing their neighborhood.. never hurts to try something new i guess. and i would get a more intense workout by pulling around a wagon.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inzane View Post
I thought about taking my son with me as i pass out door hangers (when we start getting warmer weather). thought about just pulling him around in his wagon. most of the neighborhoods i go in here have sidewalks. He is two and he loves to smile and say "hey there" to everybody he sees.. lol. Of course these paranoid jackasses around here would still think i'm casing their neighborhood.. never hurts to try something new i guess. and i would get a more intense workout by pulling around a wagon.
You'll never get anything done. Passing out door to door takes forever and is a lot of walking without distractions let alone a cute kid.

I understand your predicament though. You'd be better served training him to hang flyers. lol

I don't know where Cobb is. My brother lives in Berkeley Lake/Duluth.