Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-16-2012, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a clear difference lawn View Post
I ran a 34 Gravely exclusively last season (I had 2 of them) and yes I struggled mightily at times to keep up. I had to work till dark on Sunday some weeks. I can already tell that the 52" is going to really help with productivity. Best case scenario would be to get a bigger trailer but I don't have that luxury due to limited space. Personally, I waited until I could use a bigger mower on at least half of my properties before pulling the trigger. I literally pulled out a tape measure at every account and worked it out. So far, I am very happy with the new mower.
It cool to see your small little business grow! I have read all your thread and compared it to my situation and i going to start your same set up in the next couple of months.

Gravely 34
Gravely 52
Two 21" mowers
Stihl: 2 String Trimmers, Hedge trimmer, Edger, Blower
5x8 landscape trailer w/rack
Old 07-17-2012, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I live close to my accounts (my furthest is 8 miles) so I will do 3 days with one mower - then switch up and do 3 with another. We live in a townhome - so I cannot fit a larger trailer in the garage. I got a great deal on the 52" $4699 otd. I also had money from the sale of my other 34z so I was prepared to spend over $8000. I literally went to 10 different dealers looking at mowers over a two day period and - [B]in my opinion - this machine offered the most bang for the buck for my particular needs. Remember, I only do half my route with the big machine (it simply won't fit on some properties) so I can get away with a more entry level commercial machine. I like it because it is light and short vs more industrial models. I can fit it on my 5 X 8 trailer with a 21". I always have a push on the trailer. Here is a pic with my full rig. The setup is exactly the same with the 52" mower on.
Nice setup. If you don't mind me asking what dealer you got it from?
Old 01-01-2013, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

hows that stihl fc 90 edger treating you?? just sold my echo, and was gonna pick up the fc 90 this week. any complaints?? and what models are your trimmers??

14 Years old
Old 01-04-2013, 12:16 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
I live close to my accounts (my furthest is 8 miles) so I will do 3 days with one mower - then switch up and do 3 with another. We live in a townhome - so I cannot fit a larger trailer in the garage. I got a great deal on the 52" $4699 otd. I also had money from the sale of my other 34z so I was prepared to spend over $8000. I literally went to 10 different dealers looking at mowers over a two day period and - in my opinion - this machine offered the most bang for the buck for my particular needs. Remember, I only do half my route with the big machine (it simply won't fit on some properties) so I can get away with a more entry level commercial machine. I like it because it is light and short vs more industrial models. I can fit it on my 5 X 8 trailer with a 21". I always have a push on the trailer. Here is a pic with my full rig. The setup is exactly the same with the 52" mower on.
now that you have the 52'' and you have a 21'' push mower do you feel that the 34'' is going to stay or go, how effective is the 34''?
Old 01-04-2013, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
I traded the grandstand for the smaller gravely. The toro kept breaking down over and over. It was a total piece.
What year was it?

"There is no such thing as failure. There are only results." – Tony Robbins

Enough Said...
Old 01-04-2013, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Are those Gravely the 100 series? Im looking at getting a 152 or 252 in spring. Any feedback on what kind do buy would be great!
Old 01-05-2013, 07:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegantlawns View Post
now that you have the 52'' and you have a 21'' push mower do you feel that the 34'' is going to stay or go, how effective is the 34''?
The gravely 34 has over 1400 hrs on it now so it is relegated to mainly a backup role. It still runs and cuts great. I will keep it as a backup until I sell the business. I now have a grasshopper with a 41" cut which fits everywhere I need it to. I also use the toro timemaster now intead of 21" mowers. The timemaster has gotten bashed to death on this site but it has worked well for me. I only use it on 6 properties.
Grasshopper 41
Toro Timemaster 30
Stihl handhelds
5 x 8 landscape trailer w/rack
SOLO OPERATION
84 accounts cutting grass and loving it!
Old 01-05-2013, 07:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades Lawn Maintenance View Post
What year was it?
The grandstand was a 2010 with 40" deck. The gravely 34 I traded it for (yes I took a hit) has given me over 1400 trouble free hours.
Grasshopper 41
Toro Timemaster 30
Stihl handhelds
SOLO OPERATION
Old 01-05-2013, 07:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan41 View Post
Are those Gravely the 100 series? Im looking at getting a 152 or 252 in spring. Any feedback on what kind do buy would be great!
No - the small one is the Gravely compact 34 and the larger one is th zt52hd. I beleive the 100 series has an upgraded engine, a better (air ride) seat, and zt 3400 hydros instead of 3100. I think these are the only major differences as I compared the machines side by side when I purchased. Same spindles, deck, frame etc. I only use the large machine on half my properties.
Grasshopper 41
Toro Timemaster 30
Stihl handhelds
SOLO OPERATION
Old 01-05-2013, 11:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

hows that stihl fc 90 edger treating you?? just sold my echo, and was gonna pick up the fc 90 this week. any complaints?? and what models are your trimmers??

14 Years old