Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center



Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #41  
Old 12-30-2012, 01:13 PM
Pittsburgh Stone83 Pittsburgh Stone83 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pittsburgh,Pa
Posts: 116
I understand for those who's services pertain only to landscape/ lawn maintenance, and installation this concept doesn't appear as lucrative. As these types of services is how our company was originally founded on 30 years ago and expanded to other services that are more complex namely the hardscape services. The amount of installation knowledge and tool identification and usage is much more broad. Not to say there is anything wrong with strictly offering landscape/maintenance services as I work with companies that only offer such services and are very successful. I'm stating the time involved with educating new employees on the main fundamentals of hardscaping is very timely and financially consuming. Not to mention if I know a candidate paid for entry level education, has the 3 month field experience, and proper attendance it gives me a better sense of the candidates mentality and capabilities. Most seasoned guys I get were taught poorly and to take them and break them of bad habits and implement proper techniques is a burden and a gamble. I get many recruits who were foreman for other companies, and despite their resumes, experience, and references they usually find out after the first week they are here to learn.
__________________
Jeff Blunkosky

Pittsburgh Stone and Waterscapes

View additional projects at:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pittsb...50043198372984
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 12-30-2012, 02:20 PM
Duekster Duekster is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 7,971
Some of us do live in states that have licenses and require CEU's so there is some training and knowledge involved.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 12-30-2012, 03:54 PM
cpllawncare's Avatar
cpllawncare cpllawncare is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 2,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
Some of us do live in states that have licenses and require CEU's so there is some training and knowledge involved.
I can't speak for every state, but if your refering to pesticide license's most every state requires a license and CEU's for at least one person usually the owner in the company. It might not be a bad idea to require crew leaders to pass the exam as a hiring agreement.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 12-30-2012, 04:06 PM
Duekster Duekster is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 7,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
I can't speak for every state, but if your refering to pesticide license's most every state requires a license and CEU's for at least one person usually the owner in the company. It might not be a bad idea to require crew leaders to pass the exam as a hiring agreement.
I am sure that will make Small Ax sleep better at night
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 12-30-2012, 04:18 PM
cpllawncare's Avatar
cpllawncare cpllawncare is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 2,647
Pittsbugh,
I love learning new stuff, I rarely ever go into a situation where I think I know it all, I usually go in trying to use what I know and adding something to it hopefully. Even after years and years of working in manufacturing I learned something new almost everyday. Same as I do now, I use my experience and try to add to it on a daily basis, no matter if it's on the maint side or landscaping side. I guess we'll always start someone out on the maint side and see how they perform there, before putting them over to the landscape side.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 12-30-2012, 04:23 PM
Duekster Duekster is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 7,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittsburgh Stone83 View Post
I understand for those who's services pertain only to landscape/ lawn maintenance, and installation this concept doesn't appear as lucrative. As these types of services is how our company was originally founded on 30 years ago and expanded to other services that are more complex namely the hardscape services. The amount of installation knowledge and tool identification and usage is much more broad. Not to say there is anything wrong with strictly offering landscape/maintenance services as I work with companies that only offer such services and are very successful. I'm stating the time involved with educating new employees on the main fundamentals of hardscaping is very timely and financially consuming. Not to mention if I know a candidate paid for entry level education, has the 3 month field experience, and proper attendance it gives me a better sense of the candidates mentality and capabilities. Most seasoned guys I get were taught poorly and to take them and break them of bad habits and implement proper techniques is a burden and a gamble. I get many recruits who were foreman for other companies, and despite their resumes, experience, and references they usually find out after the first week they are here to learn.
My partner was more of the hardscape guy but I fired him.

I decided a few years after starting to focus more on maintenance simply for cash flow and security. I positioning to work more installs, and construction because that is where the money it but the work is not so steady as mowing contracts.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 01-04-2013, 11:26 PM
Pittsburgh Stone83 Pittsburgh Stone83 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pittsburgh,Pa
Posts: 116
[QUOTE=Duekster;4627454]My partner was more of the hardscape guy but I fired him.

I decided a few years after starting to focus more on maintenance simply for cash flow and security. I positioning to work more installs, and construction because that is where the money it but the work is not so steady as mowing contracts.[/QUO

I understand the cash flow situation with maintenance as we dealt with in the past. The industry has become more competitive then ever. That is why it is so urgent for additional resources to be provided for contractors whom are willing to bust their asses and run a legitimate outfit to get the opportunities to go after the nice projects.
__________________
Jeff Blunkosky

Pittsburgh Stone and Waterscapes

View additional projects at:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pittsb...50043198372984
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:27 AM.

Page generated in 0.06760 seconds with 9 queries