Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-23-2012, 05:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alldayrj View Post
I'm assuming its a driveway or patio of some sort. rent a skid steer, use the forks and get a 10 yd roll off delivered. should be done by lunch and pocket the $$$
Good thing is that I have a hauler for $50 load. Thinking 2 loads should be enough. So all that needs renting is a skid and jackhammer. . . . around $400
Old 12-23-2012, 05:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Is there any concern about jackhammering right along a foundation wall? The patio runs about 30ft right along the foundation and was wondering with a skid's jackhammer, if I ran a risk of cracking the wall at the same time??
Old 12-23-2012, 05:49 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Half of what i do is concrete and I've never used a jackhammer on a skid. If the concrete is old and cracked up you wont need it. I do it all with the forks. I would break and remove from the furthest point from the foundation working towards it so there is no pressure put on the foundation wall.

What size truck is it? I figured it around 10 or 12 yards to haul off. Less if you stack it nice in the truck. I stack it up like a deck
Of cards and slide it right in the tailgate.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-04-2013, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

we took out about 500 SF of concrete driveway and about 100 SF of sidewalk this fall and it took 1 guy in a skid, plus one one on the ground to help in breaking the concrete at the joints about 2 hours to take out and load up.We also took out a stoop. The stoop was the hardest becasue it was rebared into the foundation and it was a soild pour, which was odd for a stoop poured about 3 years ago in our area (most are hollow).

No need for a concrete breaker. Skid steer, forks and a guy with a sledge hammer and you can get it out in no time. If you have a big enough truck that is probably about 1.5-2 loads. We loaded up our International and a trailer. We were pushing the envelope with our weight, but the job was about 1 hour away and we didnt want to make 2 trips.

I want to say I charged around $900 to remove the concrete and we made money all day long. We get to dump concrete for free at a local asphalt plant, so I dont have any dump fees.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukemelo216 View Post
we took out about 500 SF of concrete driveway and about 100 SF of sidewalk this fall and it took 1 guy in a skid, plus one one on the ground to help in breaking the concrete at the joints about 2 hours to take out and load up.We also took out a stoop. The stoop was the hardest becasue it was rebared into the foundation and it was a soild pour, which was odd for a stoop poured about 3 years ago in our area (most are hollow).

No need for a concrete breaker. Skid steer, forks and a guy with a sledge hammer and you can get it out in no time. If you have a big enough truck that is probably about 1.5-2 loads. We loaded up our International and a trailer. We were pushing the envelope with our weight, but the job was about 1 hour away and we didnt want to make 2 trips.

I want to say I charged around $900 to remove the concrete and we made money all day long. We get to dump concrete for free at a local asphalt plant, so I dont have any dump fees.
Remember the original poster has nothing in the way of equipment or manpower. He was looking to sub it out. Still don't think there is enough meat on the bone at a grand for the general contractor. What do guys like to see for minimums on subbed jobs? Personally I shoot for 30%. I will spend a lot time time on site to make sure I don't have to come back and finish the job. I have trustworthy subs, but at the end of the day it's still my name on the job.