Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-05-2013, 04:55 PM
LawnSite Member

James your telling the industry that they need to install ip68 rated fixtures in non immersed applications? To be clear you are essentially saying that all the other manufacturers are wrong by rating their fixtures for ip66? These manufacturers employee some of the lighting industries best engineers and designers have not got it wrong all these years? Really? Your sales pitch is nothing short of a fallacy young man, ip68 has not been required, and never will be required, unless the fixture is immersed in water. Nice sales pitch but its clearly nothing more than red herring. If you are having moisture problems I know its either an installation or fixture selection issue because I certainly do not have moisture issues

Funny you mention the Cambria 203, I have installed many of them in both up and down light applications and prior to using them the local rep gave me the same advice not to spin the knuckle stem, totally makes sense as with most knuckle mount fixtures right? Problems out of the box? I have not seen it enough to cause concern I install about 50-80 plus per year for down lighting.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:43 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Stephen, I am not 'telling the industry' that they need to install IP68 rated fixtures in trees. What you choose to install is your business. My point is that these fixtures are built to the highest specification of water proofing, perhaps over-specified, but the point is that they are not going to leak or allow moisture ingress. That is a big plus when you are installing fixtures in all sorts of applications, in all sorts of environments and using LED lamps. As for the other manufacturers, I would like to see these IP66 ratings you speak of. Most manufacturers don't bother with the trouble or expense of IP testing their fixtures. I am not the only person who has had moisture ingress issues with all sorts of fixtures from all sorts of manufacturers, just ask around, it is one of the most common complaints out there.

As for your experience with the 203 (50 to 80 down lights is an avg. job here, not a year) Do as I suggested. Cut open a stem and take a look at what comprises their "anti-siphon system", perhaps when you see both lead wires stripped of insulation inside the stem you will realize how easy it is for those conductors to come into contact with each other and cause a short, right out of the box. (not caused by incorrect handling or installing either). In one season I had a 3% failure rate with this issue, once I discovered why I contacted Lumiere and was never provided the courtesy of a follow up. A really poorly conceived 'feature' in my opinion and one that resulted in my taking my business elsewhere.

The way I see it, there should never be an issue with pursuing the best possible products for any given application and I won't settle (on behalf of my client's) for anything less. Far be it for me to tell you what to use, but don't criticize those who strive to bring new, improved and innovative products to market for the benefit of those who are looking for them.

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA