Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-04-2013, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The main reason for the operations manual is "clarity" . If you are not going to follow through on what you write down than its all a waste of time, and for all the time wasted on continually going over procedures and process I need to get this done as the business has grown. That is why I asked dave if he had developed it
Old 01-05-2013, 12:22 PM
LawnSite Member

If you are in ELSs position where you have had the same guys for 7 years, a manual as detailed as this sounds like it will be may not be quite as necessary. I would think if you have a higher rate of turnover you may find a manual like this a huge help.
That being said I do not think something like this would be a good idea for everyone to have to clarify the details.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've never encountered a operations Manuel and I've worked for a pretty big company..

I think it's more of a proper training issue with a check list while u train would be better..
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-05-2013, 01:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Also depends on how big you plan on becoming. Employees need clear guidelines and responsibilities. The BEST business have processes for everything and are most efficient. If the business is going to stay relatively small, it probably isn't necessary, but often requires a lot more hands on work by the owner and management.

Jason
Old 01-05-2013, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Mcfarland imo is corect
I like to start out some meetings and asking employee's how to make kool aid. Very simple but do you know how many really do not know exactly how to make kool aid?--- all of them! That is why there is instructions on the back of every package.
Its the same at my business. Just because you came to my company from another company where all you did was mow, or trim, or install irrgation or whatever it does not mean you know how to perform those functions as I require at my business. Yes I would train you, but what if you wanted to go over the the exact procedures I talked about during training? The operations manual would provide that clarity, along with a standard in which I expect them to perform.