Register free!

Old 01-05-2013, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Organic Nematode Control

I have a Zoysia lawn that has been diagnosed with "Ring" Nematodes (Criconemella) by the U of A division of Agriclture labs. From the fact sheet that they have included, I have gathered that for the most part, about all that can be done is to practice proper cultural practices. Aeration is another suggestion (which I will do and then it also said that there may be some organic products out there that might work however no specific products were really offered due to ongoing testing. Chemical control is not an option due to toxicity to the environment.

I'd like to know if anyone has had any success with any particular organic product or could give some suggestions on control.

"Opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"- Thomas Edison, businessman/inventor
Old 01-07-2013, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If someone can come up with a organic nematode control that work's on a large scale, they will be rich, overnight.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Wow! 156 views and one response...

I was told today by a Phd that mustard seed meal MIGHT work.

I guess nobody else has to deal with these things.....

"Opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"- Thomas Edison, businessman/inventor
Old 01-10-2013, 12:31 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I guess nematode's are only a problem on warm season turf, if they get too numerous they can be a real problem. But i would imagine most people have no idea what they are. Something you can only see with a microscope is hard to quantify. This is just the second time i've seen the word nematode on this board. I really wish there was a organic control, nemacur was my least (by far) favorite product.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

http://www.freshfromflorida.com/pi/e...irc/nem200.pdf
http://www.sgm.ac.uk/pubs/micro_today/pdf/110809.pdf

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7921895
http://www.mycologia.org/content/96/6/1218.full
Here are three examples...they may not fit your situation, or course. Keep looking--I am not sure if there is a commercial fungus product for use against nematodes--and---I am not sure if it works againt the Crics.AND with action movies!
http://www.greenculturesg.com/forum/...illing-fungus/

Last edited by RigglePLC; 01-10-2013 at 10:12 PM. Reason: added
Old 01-11-2013, 01:46 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Mustard seed. From a brassica. Turning brassica leaves into the garden soil is supposed to be a good way to prevent nematodes from attacking roots and root veggies. Sounds like something to look into further. Derive an extract from kale, mustard greens, cabbage, etc. maybe cabbage juice diluted and sprayed would be worth a trial.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-11-2013, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44DCNF View Post
Mustard seed. From a brassica. Turning brassica leaves into the garden soil is supposed to be a good way to prevent nematodes from attacking roots and root veggies. Sounds like something to look into further. Derive an extract from kale, mustard greens, cabbage, etc. maybe cabbage juice diluted and sprayed would be worth a trial.
Posted via Mobile Device

...Maybe throw some Habenero in there. Ya know, light em on fire while we make life unbearable for them in our lawns.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Most Brassica species release chemical compounds that may be toxic to soil borne pathogens and pests, such as nematodes, fungi and some weeds. The mustards usually have higher concentrations of these chemicals.

http://www.extension.org/pages/18643...rganic-farming
Old 01-11-2013, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Most Brassica species release chemical compounds that may be toxic to soil borne pathogens and pests, such as nematodes, fungi and some weeds. The mustards usually have higher concentrations of these chemicals.

http://www.extension.org/pages/18643...rganic-farming

Pest management

All brassicas have been shown to release biotoxic compounds or metabolic byproducts that exhibit broad activity against bacteria, fungi, insects, nematodes, and weeds. Brassica cover crops are often mowed and incorporated to maximize their natural fumigant potential. This is because the fumigant chemicals are produced only when individual plant cells are ruptured.

Pest suppression is believed to be the result of glucosinolate degradation into biologically active sulfur containing compounds call thiocyanates (Gardiner et al., 1999; Petersen et al., 2001). To maximize pest suppression, incorporation should occur during vulnerable life-stages of the pest (Williams and Weil, 2004).

The biotoxic activity of brassica and mustard cover crops is low compared to the activity of commercial fumigants (Smith et al., 2005). It varies depending on species, planting date, growth stage when killed, climate, and tillage system. Be sure to consult local expertise for best results.

The use of brassicas for pest management is in its infancy. Results are inconsistent from year to year and in different geographic regions. Different species and varieties contain different amounts of bioactive chemicals. Be sure to consult local expertise and begin with small test plots on your farm.