Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-01-2013, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

really? $1? lol that's crazy.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with Yardguy, except I do keep an eye on the competition. Never know when you may learn something from them. As for pricing, I no longer change a price after spending time to get to an educated price. In the past when a customer asked if that was the best I could do, I usually would go down a little. I will not do that anymore. I don't just throw numbers around to see what will stick and I provide high quality service. For mowing and plowing I know what I need to charge rather quickly. For larger projects that require planning, I scutinize the quote several times before giving to the perspective customer. The last three sentences is what I tell customers now who ask if thats the best I can do. I believe the valuable customers actually appreciate that response and I know I have landed projects that I wasn't the lowest bid on.
Blizzard 860HD
7 1/2 ft Western Plow
Toro 7/24 snowblower
2 Toro CCR 2450 snowblowers
48" Allis Chalmers
48" Ferris WB
36" Exmark Viking
21" Toro
21" Poulan Pro
2- Echo PB755H
Echo & Ryobi trimmers
Echo PAS 265 & attachments
Stihl & Poulan chain saws
Stihl BP blower
Stihl FS-56RC-E Trimmer
Billy Goat 16hp HTR Loader
Pesticide License BU0426
A Positive Outlook
Old 01-02-2013, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeystoneLawn&Landscaping View Post
I agree with Yardguy, except I do keep an eye on the competition. Never know when you may learn something from them. As for pricing, I no longer change a price after spending time to get to an educated price. In the past when a customer asked if that was the best I could do, I usually would go down a little. I will not do that anymore. I don't just throw numbers around to see what will stick and I provide high quality service. For mowing and plowing I know what I need to charge rather quickly. For larger projects that require planning, I scutinize the quote several times before giving to the perspective customer. The last three sentences is what I tell customers now who ask if thats the best I can do. I believe the valuable customers actually appreciate that response and I know I have landed projects that I wasn't the lowest bid on.
Good information. "Coming down" on price should only be a calculated consideration, never on a whim.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Customers like to haggle the price in lawn care and other stuff like buying cars. My standard procedure is to figure the price and raise it so I can lower it.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:14 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonsLawnCare1 View Post
really? $1? lol that's crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clydebusa View Post
Customers like to haggle the price in lawn care and other stuff like buying cars. My standard procedure is to figure the price and raise it so I can lower it.
I'm not a price haggler. you wanna haggle price call someone else.

when I give a price it's pretty much the absolute lowest I can go and still turn the profit I need.

I'm not out to make as much money off people as I can by nickle and diming them but I'm not out there to give away my services either. just looking to make what I consider to be a decent living.

if I tell $32 a cut that's what it is, PERIOD.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yardguy that is fine. No big deal, I agree with what you are saying. Saturn car was that way and I would love for everything to be that way. No discounts, no coupons, just post the price and be done with it.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:13 AM
LawnSite Member

The lowballers serve a purpose. They make me look good.

If someone asks me for a lower price, I answer "Sure! What do you want to leave out?"
When a customer asks me something I always answer YES. Like the song "YES! We have NO bananas!
Old 01-03-2013, 12:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i never charge like $27 or $32. it's gonna be $30 or $35. i round it off always. i don't just go in there with one price in mind though. i go in with a ballpark. say $45-$55. $45 is the least i can go to make the job worth doing and $55 is what i'm shooting for to make the job the most profitable it can be within reason. if they say they will only pay $40 i walk. usually i land it at about $50 which is fine.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:10 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

yeah see I have set prices for everything and that's what they are. if they try and haggle I walk.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydebusa View Post
Yardguy that is fine. No big deal, I agree with what you are saying. Saturn car was that way and I would love for everything to be that way. No discounts, no coupons, just post the price and be done with it.
And we see where saturn car is today don't we? OUT OF BUSINESS! I remember someone on here saying be careful about demanding things from the customer.