Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-06-2013, 07:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassman177 View Post
there are some good points, but many of those we have tried, and it caused more issues than it helped. we have found more and more, they truly only care about the money, esp the longer they work for you. the short timers appreciate it seems more the little things, the longer term guys dont at all, and even forget what you have done for them in the past. they just want more money, cuz it advances their lives

these suggestions definitely dont always work
Most of these things in the OP do equate to more money for the worker although indirectly which will help with retention rates. Most guys would rather stay with someone who values them, truck, cell phone, and other perks than find a new job making 4 dollars more an hour.

Seth Godin has some great books and truly out of the box thinking ideas that apply to running a business. I suggest some of you guys check him out
Old 01-06-2013, 01:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Lots of these suggestions are great and will work. They also can cause problems as mentioned. It ALL has to do with your employees you've chosen and how you run your business. If all your employees care about is money, then you have the wrong employees. Pure and simple. YOU have to care and have passion for your work and your employees! Then, with the right employees who ALSO have a passion for their work and care about others, these small things mentioned will really help and go a long way to showing appreciation.

Jason
Old 01-06-2013, 01:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will P.C. View Post
Most of these things in the OP do equate to more money for the worker although indirectly which will help with retention rates. Most guys would rather stay with someone who values them, truck, cell phone, and other perks than find a new job making 4 dollars more an hour.

Seth Godin has some great books and truly out of the box thinking ideas that apply to running a business. I suggest some of you guys check him out
Yes and you have to be careful with some of these as they could be considered taxable income.

Still not to bad. Back in the day when I worked for Perot Systems. He kept 10 cent soda in the machine, free coffee a nice smoking lounge on the back dock area and pretty flexible hours. At another location, the offices there was a company cafeteria. You swiped your ID card and entered the last 4 digits of your Social. You paid taxes on then 3 or 4 dollars he valued the meal.

I was in the Data center so they brought in sandwiches every Friday for free. Nothing showed up on that for taxes. The Cafeteria was pretty nice and it would have been nice to have one of those at the data center. Rarely did anything go wrong but if it did, there was no such thing as leaving during the crisis.

For that reason I do keep a shop fridge with a few sodas, bottled water and to make ice. I keep Gatorade and a some trail mix packages and some assorted breakfast cakes. I only buy so much each month so when they are gone they are gone. It is mostly just snacks for if they forget breakfast or did not pack a lunch they have something to grab for the day.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

ELS - I love the small snacks rack! I get coffee most mornings for them but that little idea of just so many snack items each month is a great one. Gonna try it....there's a beer fridge but that's for our R&R day each month. =D

Jason
Old 01-06-2013, 02:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFarland_Lawn_Care View Post
ELS - I love the small snacks rack! I get coffee most mornings for them but that little idea of just so many snack items each month is a great one. Gonna try it....there's a beer fridge but that's for our R&R day each month. =D

Jason
I have a Sam's card and will stock up there. They have a variety pack of trail mix with something like 18 3 or 4 oz packs. They also have various snack cakes too. SAM's even carries the BIMBO brand. I will grab some orange soda as that is what they seem to like and two cases of bottled water.

I added a water filters with one of those little taps and mounted it to the shop sink. It is deep enough to hold the cooler while it fills up. They guys will grab a little ice but they do not like super cold water either, they add just enough to keep the water from getting hot.

I picked up a case of Gatorade mix at granger. They do not use it to make up a cooler full like the pack is designed to do. They cut the corner off the pack and just add a little to a bottle of water and fill it from the cooler. They said they like water in the AM and only hit the gatorade in the hot afternoons. I have not done inventory but I think I have 1/2 a case left from last summer.

I am not even sure any of my guys drink beer. I know two that do not drink at all.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will P.C. View Post

i have not found one yet, so please send me one, be glad to hire them. every one of them has always told us they would prefer money hands down every time. period.

not saying that is standard, but in our experiences, money rules everything. and it is not money saved, only money in hand that they want.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFarland_Lawn_Care View Post
Lots of these suggestions are great and will work. They also can cause problems as mentioned. It ALL has to do with your employees you've chosen and how you run your business. If all your employees care about is money, then you have the wrong employees. Pure and simple. YOU have to care and have passion for your work and your employees! Then, with the right employees who ALSO have a passion for their work and care about others, these small things mentioned will really help and go a long way to showing appreciation.

Jason
this is also very true, but mostly due to the extreme lack of any actual quality individuls that are out there going into lawn care. lets face it, anyone as only a worker aint gonna be raking in the bucks in this field. the tighter the economy gets, the more money is the ONLY thing anyone cares about. it is what gets them by.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i'm gonna tell you from personal experience. i was the "noob" guy before. i worked for a company. i always hated the job and didn't think much of the boss because he put me trimming all day while the other 2 guys got to sit down and mow mostly and just do a little trimming. at the end of every day all i could think about was man this isn't fair. it didn't make me wanna hang around more to get to a point where i could sit on a mower by any means. all it made me wanna do is quit which i did end up doing after the season was over. it was very disheartening and discouraging to me. all it did was push me away. it didn't encourage me to work harder or stay around longer. to be honest it made me not even care about the job.

i don't think bosses realize this. i dunno what it is. maybe they've never had to work for someone else before so they don't know what it's like? i really dunno. i guess since i've worked for other people most of my life i understand how it is. i would probably be the best boss in the world because i know what it's like on the other side. the thing is i don't even want to be a boss. i hate telling other people what to do or making them do the hard work and such because i've been there and i know what it's like. i guess that's why i prefer to just work alone and stay solo. there's no way i would hire some mexican to trim all day while i sat my butt on a mower all day even if i was the boss. that's just wrong man. that's treating the worker like a slave if you ask me.

buying all of your workers lunch is a good idea. do it for all of them at the same time though. don't just buy it for one of them like a crew leader. that will make the workers hate the guy who is in charge over them. a crew leader would be making more money anyways so there's no need for "special" treatment unless you do it for all of your workers.

i know the way i think is contrary to the american way of doing business. perhaps that's why i hate working for other people and why i quit my jobs in the past though? you should see the bosses in japan for example. the top guy does the same work as the noob guy that just walked in on his first day. i think american bosses could learn alot from that example.

Last edited by weeze; 01-06-2013 at 05:40 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

@Jason's Lawn - Great points! Thanks. Yes, I totally agree - I enjoy being a leader, but don't enjoy being a "boss" and telling people what to do all the time. Although a new guy will be doing more trimming to begin with, after he's fully trained the tasks are evenly split. In fact when I'm on a job I will purposely seek out a difficult task or one that no one wants and dive right into it and make it a crazy game. Everyone notices the hardest working person on the team.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Never worked for a Japanese boss, but that was an interesting point Jason.

I have worked for a Chinese boss and it sucked.