Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-03-2013, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Looking to buy a skid, what's a good un to date?

Don't want anything huge, 50-55 gallon, 200' electric reel, and the rest I'll let you all input. Something to roll in and out of the bed of my truck.

Only looking to spray 2,4-D, Drive, and possibly down the road, fertilizer. So what's a good pump that can handle the fert?

Also, I'll be using a boom type system like GreenDoc.

The backpack is getting replaced this year
Old 01-05-2013, 11:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm using a cub cadet unit.. 50 gallon w/ electric reel. I love it.. looking to upgrade to a 100 gallon though..
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-05-2013, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Initially, it's easy to fall into the trap of buying smaller capacity based on "current" thoughts on how much the unit will be used. Unless you are buying for a special use, I would go with at least a 200 gal unit. Your business will grow into it more than likely. The parts that cost you the most on a rig are the pump motor and hose reel...not necessarily the tank. Conversion of the unit later to more capacity or even having to buy a "bigger/better" unit can be a headache not to mention even more money spent.

I know your plan is to spray low volume with a handheld boom but even at that you will be spraying at the 1/2 to 1 gal rate. If you are serious about growing apps business you should easily spray 150 ft sq per day at some point soon in your career. For this reason, I recommend at least the 200 gal unit as a starter. JMO

There is a 200 gal unitin the Equipment forum
Old 01-06-2013, 12:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ted is right. Plastic tanks are the cheapest part of the sprayer. You may outgrow it soon, and have to buy a 200 gal unit in about 2 years. Also you will need a longer hose--300 feet not 150. And if your reel will only hold 150--then you need to spend $800 for a new reel. The ability to agitate the solution will be helpful--bypass part of the pump output. The Hypro 6 gal per minute diaphragm pump is about right. I think that would be the GR252. five or 6 hp motor is about right.
You may need to devise a roller system under the skid to allow you to roll it out of the truck onto a picnic table. Probably need a boat winch or come-along to pull it back and forth.

You can fill it only to 50 gals, if you want for your first year. If you have a light duty truck--it may make sense to upgrade to a 3/4 ton truck.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would love to have a 200 gallon, but it won't fit in the back of my truck.. I'm using a Nissan Pick up for now bc its what I had to start.. I'm adding a 50 gallon nurse tank to my 50 gallon spray unit. Once I purchase a bigger truck I'll be looking into a 200 gallon space saver also..
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-06-2013, 01:10 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurfWerks View Post
I would love to have a 200 gallon, but it won't fit in the back of my truck.. I'm using a Nissan Pick up for now bc its what I had to start.. I'm adding a 50 gallon nurse tank to my 50 gallon spray unit. Once I purchase a bigger truck I'll be looking into a 200 gallon space saver also..
Posted via Mobile Device
In your particular case, I can see why you purchased what you did.

I'm going to pick up a 300 gal pickup truck tank I bought through Dultmeier tomorrow. It slides in a full sized pick up and fits over the fender wells. The tank was just over 300 dollars. It cost $220 to ship it to Little Rock. (I still haven't figured that one out). so I will have $520 total in it. I'm mounting a Hypro D30, Honda 5.5 and a Hannay reel to a mini frame to be placed behind the tank in the bed of the truck. This will be the 2nd unit I've done this way. It works out well and is about the cheapest way I know of to convert a smaller capacity unit to a higher capacity unit given you have a decent quality pump, motor and hose reel on hand. This is not a conversion for me but could be for you when the time comes...and it will.

For the OP...Riggle is absolutely correct. 150 ft of hose will not be enough. You need a minimum 300 ft of hose. A Hannay 1500 series reel will hold 300 ft of 1/2 inch hose. It will hold 400 ft of 3/8 inch hose. I run 400 ft of 3/8 inch on all of my lawn units and still occasionally fall short on length.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks all for the input, should I make a skid, or buy one already made like a space saver? I know nothing about all the pump jargon that's been used, so could you all help with that? I like to spend the money the first time and make it right to last. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the components a tank, reel/hose, motor, pump, spray gun/boom and structure to hold all of that?

Also, the smaller size was indeed because of the size of my truck. I run a Toyota Tundra with a tool box and ext. cab, so it is cramped back there. I will have a spare trailer as I use two, one for fall and one for summer, but I've heard a trailer isn't the best for a sprayer - maybe I'm wrong?
Old 01-06-2013, 04:49 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ijustwantausername View Post
Thanks all for the input, should I make a skid, or buy one already made like a space saver? I know nothing about all the pump jargon that's been used, so could you all help with that? I like to spend the money the first time and make it right to last. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the components a tank, reel/hose, motor, pump, spray gun/boom and structure to hold all of that?

Also, the smaller size was indeed because of the size of my truck. I run a Toyota Tundra with a tool box and ext. cab, so it is cramped back there. I will have a spare trailer as I use two, one for fall and one for summer, but I've heard a trailer isn't the best for a sprayer - maybe I'm wrong?

They aren't the worst either. I hauled my first sprayer( a 200 gal unit) on a trailer. I have 5 spray units now and 2 of them are hauled on trailers still. Center your tank weight over the axles and make sure they are rated to carry the load. A little less manueverable...sure...but not that big of a deal. Back to what you need to look for in a sprayer whether it's new or used.

At least 5.5HP motor( I prefer Honda)

A Hypro pump (at least a model D-252) There are others

An electric hose reel(I prefer Hannay 1500 series)Coxreel is an option

Tank- At least a 100 gal in my opinion. 200 if hauled on a single axle trailer with 3500lb axle.Tandem axle for 300 gal .Your truck limits you on capacity. The trailer helps overcome that obstacle.

Your choice on gun/boom

The more capacity you can get initially, the longer you can go.without an upgrade. The cost will be close either way because the tank is one of the cheaper components of the spray rig.

Last edited by ted putnam; 01-06-2013 at 04:56 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You can add an additional tank to your sprayer when you need more capacity, but you need several valves.
Remember if you are building a sprayer...you need...a few valves, a strainer with 325 mesh filter (3/4 threads), and a pressure release valve, if not built into the pump; you need an extra hose to carry off the excess pressure and flow, and to route it back to the tank for agitation. Need a pressure gauge.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
You can add an additional tank to your sprayer when you need more capacity, but you need several valves.
Remember if you are building a sprayer...you need...a few valves, a strainer with 325 mesh filter (3/4 threads), and a pressure release valve, if not built into the pump; you need an extra hose to carry off the excess pressure and flow, and to route it back to the tank for agitation. Need a pressure gauge.
Thanks Riggle, does anyone have a diagram so I know where to put the valves? Maybe it would be easier to buy one already put together as I don't know where any of the valves and what not go. Me building one would be like when I bought my first zero turn - I didn't have a clue how to run it for a little while, but after some help I can now do it hoodwinked.