Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-04-2013, 01:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ferris Comfort Control DD vs. Exmark Turf Tracer

Hello. im looking to purchase a 60/61 walk behind and have narrowed my choices down to to these two machines. Prices are very close for both, and so is dealer support, with just a slight lead on the ferris dealer.

My main concerns are cut quality in less than ideal conditions. I know the ultra cut deck cuts good, but i need to be able to - 1. cut at full speed in weekly conditions 2. cut wet grass/grass in the rain 3. cut fairly tall "pasture" grass and 4. cut weedy and less than perfect lawns.

Now, i have a 7 Iron ii deck on my current walkbehind. Deere stopped making this machine when they moved plants, and finding one used is very hard. The thing is, im very happy with the machine, and more so, the deck, because it has excelled in all the conditions i have listed above. Its pretty invincible lol.

So, i like the ferris, except for the 10 gauge deck. HOW WILL IT HOLD UP?
and HOW DOES THE FERRIS DECK CUT? based on my requirments listed above.

I dont like the hightly baffled deck on the exmark. will i have to double cut a lot??

bottom line, based on my machine/deck now, and what i have said above what do you think, based on experience, will be the best machine (cut and durability) for me? I DO NOT HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO DEMO since these are not common sizes. please share you honest opinions on these machines. Thanks
http://www.lawnsite.com/images/smili...tflag::itflag:

14 Years old
Old 01-04-2013, 02:06 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

You will like the exmark more except for conditions 2,3 and 4.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-04-2013, 01:45 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exmarkboy13 View Post
So, i like the ferris, except for the 10 gauge deck. HOW WILL IT HOLD UP?
and HOW DOES THE FERRIS DECK CUT? based on my requirments listed above.
Nothing wrong with a 10 gauge deck. Its how some of the best mowers are made. Ferris, Scag, Bobcat. Its not just 10 gauge. Its 2 layers of 10 gauge. So its actually thicker than 7 guage. The dual layers resists bending better than a single sheet of material would.

As far as cut, I really cant comment on your conditions over the internet. Only thing I can say is ask people that use them in your area for what you plan to use it for.

All of these mowers are designed to cut grass that is not incredibly wet and not too tall. "Fairly tall pasture grass" would best be handled by a bushhog. Not a finish mower(which is what the Exmark and Ferris are).
Old 01-04-2013, 01:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

ok, which is a better machine overall. Ive heard ferris is, but why do so many use exmark??

14 Years old
Old 01-04-2013, 04:42 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exmarkboy13 View Post
ok, which is a better machine overall. Ive heard ferris is, but why do so many use exmark??
Hands down I'll buy another Comfort Control DD all day long, I believe a lot of people use Turf Tracer's just because they are more well know but you won't have any problems with the 10 gauge deck these mowers are built like tanks!!
Old 01-06-2013, 05:50 PM
LawnSite Member

I loved using the 60" turf tracer two seasons ago it was an 07 with ecs controls which were great loved how well it stuck to steep hills better than our 48" Viking
Old 01-06-2013, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have no experience with either.. all my exmarks are older machines but i will say this, I think the snapper/ferris would be a better choice for you..I think the Icd deck would perform better in the 2, 3, 4 areas especially the wet grass, people love Scags veloicty deck in damp conditions and the Icd is basically a knock off off that..just something to think about
Old 01-06-2013, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I've been running ferris walks for 14 years and have never killed one. Toughest machines out there. The 10 gauge deck is a non issue, they cut well in all conditions. Of course mowing in the rain will not produce great results but it won't slow you down. Get the 25 hp or more if offered, more power is always good. They hold any hill you could imagine. Extremely maneuverable and precise like a scalpel. Go for the Ferris, you will be happy you did.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashgrove landscaping View Post
I've been running ferris walks for 14 years and have never killed one. Toughest machines out there. The 10 gauge deck is a non issue, they cut well in all conditions. Of course mowing in the rain will not produce great results but it won't slow you down. Get the 25 hp or more if offered, more power is always good. They hold any hill you could imagine. Extremely maneuverable and precise like a scalpel. Go for the Ferris, you will be happy you did.
I agree they are tanks, and they will hold hills I have a hard time walking on and they have no problem with it.