Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-06-2013, 05:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

building a marsh

I'd like to build my own marsh on my hunting land.. I guess I am just looking for some tips. Like how wide should my dam be..

my idea is to take this flat creek bottom and just push dirt out from the middle build a dam on 3 sides. One side is a hill.. But my question is I'd like to keep part of it empty during the summer so I could plant corn or rice to attract waterfowl during the fall and winter. What kind of valve or levee system would work best?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!
Old 01-06-2013, 06:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Depending on where you live you will have a lot of hoops to jump through to do that. You are affecting flood plains, creek channels, lay of land, and reducing, increasing, or stopping water flow down stream. Talk to the local authorities, a civil engineer, and then come on here and ask for tips on how to effectively complete the plan that was given to you. Just trying to be helpful and save you some headache
Old 01-08-2013, 08:19 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I am basically building a shallow pond..

everything I've heard around here is just build it, the corp of engineers won't mess with you..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!
Old 01-08-2013, 08:39 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

If you can afford it install a drain valve. You can let the water down in the summer and let stuff grow and plant duck weed, then flood it in the fall. Really helps bring in the ducks too have plenty of food. You need to find the flatest section of the creek possible so that you will only need a few feet of water.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

In many cases your state department of natural resources will provide free assistance and planning for creating wetlands, up to and including helping you plan the project. Might be worth looking into..
Old 01-08-2013, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Contact your local NRCS. The government pays up to 75% cost in some cases. If not, all you need to do is install a pipe to drain the impoundment during the summer months. Simply cap the pipe in the fall when you are ready to flood.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-08-2013, 12:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Depending on size of creek?If there is room build the wetland the side then build a drain system from the creek to the pond if the creek flows year round.If small creek and small drainage area and flow drys duringsummer the you have to store water in off season for later water source.

If flows year around i would use only for water source for your wetland.

As for material for your water system.Could use dual wall drainage tile like Chris uses in his projects.Agdrain as custom built flow box.You could build you own out of channel iron and stop logs(tongue and groove boards)

I have build a few wetlands and was goverment cost share.We used steel pipe the main pipe went straight throw the damso you could drain the wetland down if you wanted too.There was a larger stand pipe with stop logs in it where you could adjust the water level(ad or remove logs,boards) water flowed over the boards and out the bottom pipe.

I would consider the wetlnd option over too the side if creek and drainage area is very large.or you will be having to rebuild or repair thing during flood seasom.Good luck.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:16 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Depending on how much impact you want to leave behind, you could always look to the beavers for inspiration. I hunted a lot back east and found that the beavers created the best, natural marshes way back in the woods. The best part is that it was biodegradable and we didn't have to bring in heavy equipment like a dozer. I imagine you could accomplish something similar with a CTL, a bucket, shear, and grapple and not have to jump the the permit process.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 01-08-2013, 04:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Watch duck dynasty saw them do this one time. Haha
Old 01-08-2013, 05:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowDogSVC View Post
Depending on how much impact you want to leave behind, you could always look to the beavers for inspiration. I hunted a lot back east and found that the beavers created the best, natural marshes way back in the woods. The best part is that it was biodegradable and we didn't have to bring in heavy equipment like a dozer. I imagine you could accomplish something similar with a CTL, a bucket, shear, and grapple and not have to jump the the permit process.
Yep thats how it is on our property. The beavers dammed up a creek and we have a 5acre duck paradise. Its great ducks and geese love it.