Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-08-2013, 06:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
Jason,
You have a Iphone why not get a Ipad as well and eliminate most of the paper work, just curious seems to make sense, not sure though?
there's really no need. it's not much paperwork at all. i just jot down a few things each day. takes a few min. i have no need for it while i'm out working. even if i had an ipad i would back it up on paper. you never know when it's gonna go poof on you and you lose everything. you can't trust computers or phones completely lol.

say you're out working one day and something happens. the ipad gets dropped or something. you lose everything. a protective case doesn't prevent all damage. you would be up the creek without a paddle. you drop a notebook it doesn't break and you lose nothing. i don't take my notebook with me though. i leave it at home. there's no need for it on the job. all you need working is lawn equipment and gas lol.

i tend to use my mind as my computer. i'll do that until i lose my mind i guess lol.

Last edited by weeze; 01-08-2013 at 06:05 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I use a day planner to keep track of all of my appointments, work schedule and as a day log to record what I actually do. I keep it in a zippered leather cover that has room for my calculator, business cards, pens/pencils and a spot for a note pad. I also keep a printout of my current customer contact list from Quickbooks in it. Here's the day planner I prefer....just got my new one in the mail yesterday in fact.
http://www.bing.com/shopping/at-a-gl...ep01&FORM=HURE

I also have an aluminum storage clipboard that I keep in my truck which has some marketing materials in it, blank lawn maintenanace agreements, 3 part estimate and invoice forms and a note pad. I tend to use that when I'm doing estimates for new customers or for installation and renovation estimates as well as for field invoices. I just use generic forms I get at Staples for that. My aluminum clipboard is similar to this, but it opens like a book instead. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...&creative=9325

P.S. - The day planner also has sections in it for notes, to do lists and some resource information in it like important dates, international holidays and area codes. I keep track of my non-mowing to-do list and have my mowing and plowing lists in those sections.

Last edited by Darryl G; 01-08-2013 at 06:23 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:26 PM
LawnSite Member

We use preprinted forms and also iPads to keep track of everything. As we also spray we need to carry copies of Labels and MSDS, all on the iPad. We would be lost without our technology
Old 01-10-2013, 04:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steiner View Post
I use these pre-made pages for each job. I just keep them in the contractor clipboard, when a estimate rolls in I have this system:

1. Put down basic info, address ect. of call. Fill in schedule to meet on paper. Plug into iphone calendar with alert.

2. Go to estimate, fill in entire sheet while talking to customer. Put into binder of all estimates after scanning into PDF and put into dropbox so it is available to my phone, laptop, etc.

3. If i get the job I then I create a customer data file in evernote with the date, times and work done along with what I charged. I then place the estimate PDF file in the evernote file and I am done.

The beauty of the system is my evernote system. I can type into my phone the customers name and instantly get all the information I ever needed about them. I use my ipad in the field with cell connection to constantly update customer files. I feel like I have the best of both worlds with the paper and then the scanning.

-Chris
How do people make PDFs like that? What program?

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 01-10-2013, 04:43 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I really want to go to a paperless system as much as possible anyway
Old 01-10-2013, 04:48 PM
LawnSite Member

I would suggest getting all of that info put into software. It will allow you to use it later for marketing purposes. I would suggest Servicesidekick.com . Otherwise just used you email calendar.

www.quietvillagelandscaping.com