Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center



Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-08-2013, 02:18 PM
Sean Adams Sean Adams is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,622
Let's Make a List....

It is often discussed on this site and in the industry in general how frustrating it is to compete with illegitimate businesses - illegal citizens, uninsured, non-tax paying, no worker's comp, etc...

So let's make a collective list of all of the reasons why as a home owner (or anyone looking to hire a lawn & landscape company) should NOT hire someone like this....

The reason this list will be helpful is simple - if you are armed with a well-thought out list of why someone should NEVER hire an unprofessional/illegitimate business you will be able to educate your prospects and make them recognize the pitfalls and liabilities if in fact they do go the "illegal route"....
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-08-2013, 02:42 PM
johnsonslawnmanagement's Avatar
johnsonslawnmanagement johnsonslawnmanagement is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Corinth, Mississippi
Posts: 901
Great thread!
How about: it's a liability. Uninsured and uneducated people put the homeowner and their property at greater risk.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-08-2013, 06:25 PM
jrs.landscaping's Avatar
jrs.landscaping jrs.landscaping is online now
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Maine
Posts: 2,431
I'm curious to see what people come up with on this list.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-08-2013, 06:34 PM
Blades Lawn Maintenance's Avatar
Blades Lawn Maintenance Blades Lawn Maintenance is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Baton Rouge, La
Posts: 1,232
This is going to be Interesting
__________________
“Life takes on meaning when you become motivated, set goals and charge after them in an unstoppable manner.”
*Les Brown


"There is no such thing as failure. There are only results." – Tony Robbins


Enough Said...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-08-2013, 07:42 PM
94gt331's Avatar
94gt331 94gt331 is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonslawnmanagement View Post
Great thread!
How about: it's a liability. Uninsured and uneducated people put the homeowner and their property at greater risk.
Posted via Mobile Device
Liability for the homeowner, damage to there property and no insurance. Uninsured guy gets hurt at there house and sues the homeowner. Also the homeowner has to pay taxs out of there hard earned money, I wouldn't want to pay somebody that wasn't paying taxes. Plus these guys aren't in it for the long haul anyway and that's not best for service to the homeowner in the future. But honestly those guys don't bother me personally I haven't seen them effect me yet.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-08-2013, 07:53 PM
wbw's Avatar
wbw wbw is online now
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: houston tx
Posts: 4,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94gt331 View Post
Liability for the homeowner, damage to there property and no insurance. Uninsured guy gets hurt at there house and sues the homeowner. Also the homeowner has to pay taxs out of there hard earned money, I wouldn't want to pay somebody that wasn't paying taxes. Plus these guys aren't in it for the long haul anyway and that's not best for service to the homeowner in the future. But honestly those guys don't bother me personally I haven't seen them effect me yet.
I have homeowners insurance. The truth about business liability insurance is that it protects the business owner and not the homeowner. I have no idea if my lawn guy is insured and I really don't care. I don't know if you are insured for certain unless I am named on the policy.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-08-2013, 07:59 PM
Patriot Services's Avatar
Patriot Services Patriot Services is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tampa FL
Posts: 8,862
Unpatriotic! We always cry about the G supporting other countries. It should start from within as well.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-08-2013, 08:08 PM
jrs.landscaping's Avatar
jrs.landscaping jrs.landscaping is online now
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Maine
Posts: 2,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbw View Post
I have homeowners insurance. The truth about business liability insurance is that it protects the business owner and not the homeowner. I have no idea if my lawn guy is insured and I really don't care. I don't know if you are insured for certain unless I am named on the policy.
Posted via Mobile Device
Please tell me this is sarcasm. If that uninsured lawn guy breaks his leg mowing your lawn, or shoots a rock at your neighbors kid who do you think is getting the bill?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-08-2013, 10:58 PM
94gt331's Avatar
94gt331 94gt331 is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
Please tell me this is sarcasm. If that uninsured lawn guy breaks his leg mowing your lawn, or shoots a rock at your neighbors kid who do you think is getting the bill?
He had to be sarcastic no homeowner on this site would have 3800 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-09-2013, 12:42 AM
Mahoney3223's Avatar
Mahoney3223 Mahoney3223 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: midwest
Posts: 992
The fact is if you solicit on craigslist, classified ads etc. your going to get a certain type of customer base than if you direct mail $500k homes or bid municipal work. People that don't want to spend money are always going to hire hacks. You have to change your mindset and say no to potential customers. In the beginning you do what you need to but if you've been around 10 years and your still mowing mrs. jones for $20 and then complaining when the neighbor kid took the lawn, you really shouldn't.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.com™ - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:54 PM.

Page generated in 0.09560 seconds with 9 queries